Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck Sack Totals from 2012 to 2013

Caleb3502

Andrew Luck felt constant pressure his rookie year and was hit numerous times.  He was sacked 41 times last year, 4th highest total in the NFL.  This year, he was sacked 32 times.  That is the 18th highest total in the NFL.  That was a surprising number to me.  I thought he was under a lot more pressure and was sacked more times, or I at least thought he would've been in the Top 10 in most times sacked.  That addition of Cherilus seems really good now.  I don't think he allowed too many sacks this year.   

Andrew Luck felt constant pressure his rookie year and was hit numerous times.  He was sacked 41 times last year, 4th highest total in the NFL.  This year, he was sacked 32 times.  That is the 18th highest total in the NFL.  That was a surprising number to me.  I thought he was under a lot more pressure and was sacked more times, or I at least thought he would've been in the Top 10 in most times sacked.  That addition of Cherilus seems really good now.  I don't think he allowed too many sacks this year.   

Yeah my buddy sent my a tweet from @Colts_Comments or something stating "For the fourth week in a row, neither Gosder Cherilus nor Anthony Castonzo allowed a sack #Bookends.  Take it for what it's worth but if that's a correct statement, that's very good.  Just need to strengthen up the guards and center. 

It seems like Luck having a better group of receivers with the addition of Da'Rick and the re-addition of Whalen has been helping him find receivers quicker the last few games thus making the O look better in general.  I'm not sure how much confidence Luck had in DHB though his special teams play has been well. 

The O line has looked NFL caliber the past 3 weeks. Hopefully next year, we can take a step further and reach the average or above average level.

Pass protection, yes. Run blocking, not so much.

I would not mind it at all if they brought in Richie Incognito next season.

I thought Andrew was under just as much pressure this year..we simply passed less..

..and Andrew was a little more decisive...throwing quicker or running away.

We still need line help

I thought Andrew was under just as much pressure this year..we simply passed less..

We still need line help

I agree with this. We should compare the percentage of sacks to drop backs to get an accurate gauge. Also, look at the percentage of hits taken compared to last year.

According to NFL.com Luck's 32 sacks was the 6th BEST in the NFL. Only 5 other teams had a lower sack total. Denver was best at 20. Miami was worst at 58 (I think).

We still need line help

Best way to reconcile all the numbers is adjusted sack %: Add his passing attempts, rushing attempts (minus sneaks and kneel downs) and sacks, then divide the number of sacks by that total. I come up with 32/646, which is an adjusted sack % of 4.9%.

Last year, I had 41/709, which is 5.8%.

So he was sacked less often per play in 2013 than he was in 2014.

Of course, other factors come into play as well. Doesn't necessarily mean the line was better in pass protection. The eyeball test says they were, if you ask me, though not by a whole lot.