Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton only needs 6 more TD's to break record but.....

sfergson727

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, :topic:   I am enjoying watching Peyton this year.   I try not to "gloat"  as he accomplishes the things he's doing and as he's having such an amazing season.

On the other hand, it would be nice to just sit back and appreciate all that he's done,  all that he's doing, and all that's he's meant to the NFL in general   without having to listen to all the harsh criticisms.   

I think Peyton's success is one of the best NFL stories of all time.

What he's trying to do (surpass his SB Indy level and reach a SB level in Denver) has never been done..

...Winning a Denver title wont calm any critics..

Brady's won 3 titles and he still has critics.....

......To me, he'll always be a Colt who I want to see do well.

That;s why I'd rather not see another Indy-Denver matchup...although it seems somewhat inevitable

You cant blame them. These guys watch a lot of football and everyone and their brother knows Manning/Brady/Brees are probably all first ballot hall of famers. Its much more interesting and fun to talk about the up and comers and try and predict who is going to break out. There are actually things to analyze and debate there. Certainly beats talking about how Manning is just that good week in and week out.

That's actually very true Sky...Everybody loves the 'next big thing'

But they shouldn't fake criticism of Manning (the under 40 temp deal) just to discuss him.

Manning didn't play any home games or division games sub 40 weather..and that's why his record is what it is.

But I still hear the Deions, the Jamie Dukes and the Eric Davis bring up that stat, which is fatally flawed.

But you are right..people get tired of old things.  They just do.

I think the media is holding out to see how well he does in the playoffs. He's going to get the record, no doubt, but everyone has their eyes on that first Broncos playoff game. It seems every year a passing record is broken, that QB ends up faltering in the playoffs. But I think they'll play the Chiefs. Just a guess.

That's actually very true Sky...Everybody loves the 'next big thing'

But they shouldn't fake criticism of Manning (the under 40 temp deal) just to discuss him.

Manning didn't play any home games or division games sub 40 weather..and that's why his record is what it is.

But I still hear the Deions, the Jamie Dukes and the Eric Davis bring up that stat, which is fatally flawed.

But you are right..people get tired of old things.  They just do.

He has never won a playoff game in sub 40 and that includes last year home game in Denver and despite being the road team in the other games most felt his Indy teams were the favorite in most of the games. I do think it is over blown somewhat but until he gets that monkey off his back in the post-season it will always be there. He should get plenty of chances this year with most likely two home games in frigid Denver and then the SB in NY at night.

I think the media is holding out to see how well he does in the playoffs. He's going to get the record, no doubt, but everyone has their eyes on that first Broncos playoff game. It seems every year a passing record is broken, that QB ends up faltering in the playoffs. But I think they'll play the Chiefs. Just a guess.

I don't think Manning should be held to a different standard than Brees...and Brady...

..when Brees threw for 5,000 but missed the playoffs..it was because his coach wasn't there

......Peyton's new team went 13-3,,,,and HE didn't falter in the playoffs last year...but he was said to have failed even though he drove his team down the field for the go-ahead TD in the fourth quarter..

In 2010, Peyton drove his team to the go-ahead FG....in the final minute...but a long KO return and they (not HE) lost to the Jets

Stiill you hear how Peyton Manning ALWAYS SEEMS to play badly the in the playoffs

The strereotype doesn't fit the facts ...

Not then, but do you think the Jets would have kept him for this season (with a new GM, mind you... Tannenbaum is gone) if he hadn't taken them to two back-to-back AFC Championship Games? Without that on his resume, I don't think Ryan would have kept his job for 2013. And without that 2009 playoff berth that was gifted to them, they wouldn't have had the opportunity to advance to the postseason.

It's neither here nor there at this stage of the game, but I would say it had a bearing on Ryan's career. For sure.

so beating the colts in the regular season vaulted them into the afccg two years in a row. gotcha

He has never won a playoff game in sub 40 and that includes last year home game in Denver and despite being the road team in the other games most felt his Indy teams were the favorite in most of the games. I do think it is over blown somewhat but until he gets that monkey off his back in the post-season it will always be there. He should get plenty of chances this year with most likely two home games in frigid Denver and then the SB in NY at night.

Agreed....

Its just that..for 14 years..he never LOST a home playoff game in sub 40 degree weather. ...either

..He did lose playoff games in NE years ago....no shame..no blame...NE was better...Brady was better

I don't think it was the weather,

But Indy did win 15-6 at Baltimore in January of 2007....temps were in the 40s but not under 40

Peyton's playoff record is what it is..but the 'under 40 weather..rap' is a cheap shot

Agreed....

Its just that..for 14 years..he never LOST a home playoff game in sub 40 degree weather. ...either

..He did lose playoff games in NE years ago....no shame..no blame...NE was better...Brady was better

But Indy did win 15-6 at Baltimore in January of 2007....temps were in the 40s but not under 40

Peyton's playoff record is what it is..but the 'under 40 weather..rap' is a cheap shot

Overblown for sure but in the two NE games he had 14 and 3 points. I think it is more the fact that his O was not the same in those games as it had been in the regular season. Do you remember who was favored in those? Pretty sure Indy was favored in the 2003 game and I think the Pats in 2004.

Why would they root for that? They LOVE Peyton but it's hard to ignore history.

TAP...

...some feel that the Brees-Manning style is not REAL football..its finesse football

Historically...football people have always thought that through the entire history of the game.

Its a 'tough man' game and Manning and Brees aren't seen as REALLY tough and they get too much credit

..a lot of NFL guys feel that running and defense are REAL football and passing for 5,000 yards is a product of a gimmick attack

that wont work in the post-season...

...so sure they root for the old school style....

Agreed....

I wouldn't say Brady was better.  Brady was maturing at that time into the QB he was going to become. and the NE team without a huge Brady contract was deep and had experience and talent in many places.

BB was just in Manning's head all day in those games.  And I honestly think that is what made Manning get to the level he is at now.  Manning would go to NE and BB would just flat out make him look silly.  It took years but Manning finally got the upperhand and figured him out... well not comlpetely lol...  

so beating the colts in the regular season vaulted them into the afccg two years in a row. gotcha

Now you're just being stubborn.  ;)

It's a series of events dude. If the Colts don't tuck tail in that game and lie down, the Jets don't make the playoffs that year. I seriously doubt Ryan would have been fired since they had a nice turn-around, but they also would not have advanced to the conference title game. 

Maybe you're not as up on Jets news as I am, since they're in our division and the whole Boston-NY thing is so prevalent up here. But Ryan is sort of surviving on his previous accomplishments. Certainly not anything that's happened in the past two or three seasons. Unless the Jets finish strong he's probably out, and he's only still there in 2013 because of those two AFCCGs. 

It's only one factor, it's not the direct cause or anything. But to dismiss it is revisionist.

Now you're just being stubborn. ;)

It's a series of events dude. If the Colts don't tuck tail in that game and lie down, the Jets don't make the playoffs that year. I seriously doubt Ryan would have been fired since they had a nice turn-around, but they also would not have advanced to the conference title game.

Maybe you're not as up on Jets news as I am, since they're in our division and the whole Boston-NY thing is so prevalent up here. But Ryan is sort of surviving on his previous accomplishments. Certainly not anything that's happened in the past two or three seasons. Unless the Jets finish strong he's probably out, and he's only still there in 2013 because of those two AFCCGs.

It's only one factor, it's not the direct cause or anything. But to dismiss it is revisionist.

Many Colts fans are aware of Rex's troubles. A few of us are circling like buzzards because Manusky needs to be fired as Colts DC, and having Rex Ryan as a DC candidate would make that so much sweeter.

TAP...

...some feel that the Brees-Manning style is not REAL football..its finesse football

Historically...football people have always thought that through the entire history of the game.

Its a 'tough man' game and Manning and Brees aren't seen as REALLY tough and they get too much credit

..a lot of NFL guys feel that running and defense are REAL football and passing for 5,000 yards is a product of a gimmick attack

that wont work in the post-season...

...so sure they root for the old school style....

I laugh when fans criticize a perpetual winner for his style/system. As if it's easy and anyone could do it. Winning is winning.

I laugh when fans criticize a perpetual winner for his style/system. As if it's easy and anyone could do it. Winning is winning.

Its not fans he is talking about. Old school TV analysts love to bash passing based teams as being 'finesse' and 'soft' to imply that if someone would just smash them in the mouth like the good old days, they would crumble.

A lot of older NFL guys lament the fact its a passing league now.

Its not fans he is talking about. Old school TV analysts love to bash passing based teams as being 'finesse' and 'soft' to imply that if someone would just smash them in the mouth like the good old days, they would crumble.

A lot of older NFL guys lament the fact its a passing league now.

Gotcha. Same applies though. Old cars are cool too but their brakes, suspension and steering suck by todays standards. The old guys should know that if it worked coaches would still be doing it. There is nothing soft about the NFL. If they didn't adjust the rules over the years teams would need to carry a roster of 150 just to get through the season. 

I don't think Manning should be held to a different standard than Brees...and Brady...

..when Brees threw for 5,000 but missed the playoffs..it was because his coach wasn't there

......Peyton's new team went 13-3,,,,and HE didn't falter in the playoffs last year...but he was said to have failed even though he drove his team down the field for the go-ahead TD in the fourth quarter..

In 2010, Peyton drove his team to the go-ahead FG....in the final minute...but a long KO return and they (not HE) lost to the Jets

Stiill you hear how Peyton Manning ALWAYS SEEMS to play badly the in the playoffs

The strereotype doesn't fit the facts ...

What?

This was not Manning's fault? peyderp.gif

I think Peyton's success is one of the best NFL stories of all time.

What he's trying to do (surpass his SB Indy level and reach a SB level in Denver) has never been done..

...Winning a Denver title wont calm any critics..

Brady's won 3 titles and he still has critics.....

......To me, he'll always be a Colt who I want to see do well.

That;s why I'd rather not see another Indy-Denver matchup...although it seems somewhat inevitable

I personally don't think the matchup will happen unless the Colts decide to play a full 60 minutes in their playoff game. :sigh: Don't think the come from behinds will cut it in the playoffs.  Then they would have to go to Denver and Irsay couldn't pull any shenanigans  in Denver. haha

I personally don't think the matchup will happen unless the Colts decide to play a full 60 minutes in their playoff game. :sigh: Don't think the come from behinds will cut it in the playoffs.  Then they would have to go to Denver and Irsay couldn't pull any shenanigans  in Denver. haha

Irsay is the king of shenanigans. Have faith sister. :)

Many Colts fans are aware of Rex's troubles. A few of us are circling like buzzards because Manusky needs to be fired as Colts DC, and having Rex Ryan as a DC candidate would make that so much sweeter.

I think the DC role is best for him. Rex is a heck of a coordinator but doesn't seem equipped to handle everything that encompasses the head coaching position. His defenses in NY have always been pretty solid, and I think he would help any team he goes to in a coordinator role. 

Plus he hates the Patriots and Belichick, so... he'll fit right in! LOL...  ;)

I think the DC role is best for him. Rex is a heck of a coordinator but doesn't seem equipped to handle everything that encompasses the head coaching position. His defenses in NY have always been pretty solid, and I think he would help any team he goes to in a coordinator role. 

Plus he hates the Patriots and Belichick, so... he'll fit right in! LOL...  ;)

Can you see Rex taking orders from Pagano? I don't. I think he would rather eat dirt personally.

Can you see Rex taking orders from Pagano? I don't. I think he would rather eat dirt personally.

Do you mean Pagano specifically? Or just from any head coach he'd be working under? 

He's been in the role before, so... yeah, I think he can swallow his ego a bit and return to the coordinator ranks. I don't think he'll get any head coaching offers once the Jets inevitably cut him loose. Rex's biggest mistake as a head coach was putting too much trust in Mark Sanchez. He seems deficient on the offensive side and keeps turning the reigns over to coordinators who have continually made bad decisions. 

Do you mean Pagano specifically? Or just from any head coach he'd be working under? 

He's been in the role before, so... yeah, I think he can swallow his ego a bit and return to the coordinator ranks. I don't think he'll get any head coaching offers once the Jets inevitably cut him loose. Rex's biggest mistake as a head coach was putting too much trust in Mark Sanchez. He seems deficient on the offensive side and keeps turning the reigns over to coordinators who have continually made bad decisions. 

I mean Pagano. Given their Baltimore days, I would think Ryan would have a tough time working under him.

I do think he is a better DC. He has no idea how to run a team as a HC. His locker room culture is toxic and he has no clue on offense. To have stayed with Sanchez as long as he did was mind boggling and then of course Tebow and now Smith.

Wonder who the Jets are targeting at HC. I think their owner is nuts.

Pretty sure no one was propping Brady up in 2007, in fact every single person in the media were taking tuns taking a turd on the Patriots ever chance they got. All of that while Arlen Specter was making a stink in congress and providing even more media coverage.

The Pats got a lot of media coverage in 2007, but hardly any of it was good or praising them.

Delusions of grandeur

I mean Pagano. Given their Baltimore days, I would think Ryan would have a tough time working under him.

I do think he is a better DC. He has no idea how to run a team as a HC. His locker room culture is toxic and he has no clue on offense. To have stayed with Sanchez as long as he did was mind boggling and then of course Tebow and now Smith.

Ah, see, didn't know that... thanks!

I think if the Jets do make a change, they're going to have a hard time drawing a big name. Their defense is good but offensively they really lack talent across the board. It'll have to be a candidate with little to lose... hire someone from the college ranks, or a coordinator from another team. They sure aren't going to woo anyone out of retirement (Gruden, Cowhler, etc). 

Ah, see, didn't know that... thanks!

I think if the Jets do make a change, they're going to have a hard time drawing a big name. Their defense is good but offensively they really lack talent across the board. It'll have to be a candidate with little to lose... hire someone from the college ranks, or a coordinator from another team. They sure aren't going to woo anyone out of retirement (Gruden, Cowhler, etc). 

Yeah they have major issues at the most important position - QB and no real offensive weapons. They did have a good draft this year especially on defense. But you have to deal with that owner. Tough one. They will probably go with a coordinator or college. They will want a name to keep the headlines from the Giants. :)

:offtopic: :topic: