Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Check out this hot Garbage from BR

The Motto

I gave him credit for Thomas and Cherilus ... but no 2 mid round OL don't count as helping for this season, when there are 2 positions on the line you should be thinking there is a good chance you will have to replace sooner rather than later due to poor play.  He should have picked up 2 more OL in FA; 1 at the very minimum. I posted this during FA I thought for sure he would pick up at least 1 more FA OL before they were all gone.

I think that's unreasonable. You don't remake your entire offensive line in one offseason, and certainly not in free agency. Thomas and Cherilus were signed to start. Thornton and Holmes were drafted to compete, and eventually start. You never know how things are going to turn out, but you don't just wipe the slate clean and sign three or four free agent linemen in one year. 

I think that's unreasonable. You don't remake your entire offensive line in one offseason, and certainly not in free agency. Thomas and Cherilus were signed to start. Thornton and Holmes were drafted to compete, and eventually start. You never know how things are going to turn out, but you don't just wipe the slate clean and sign three or four free agent linemen in one year. 

As I have said I give him Thomas and Cherilus, those were good pick ups.  But, I fail to see how us signing another FA guard to a 1 year deal unreasonable?  If Thorton or Holmes had stepped up than we drop him at end of season just like we are going to do(or should do) with McGlynn.  FA guard in, McGlynn out   ...  definitely not unreasonable.  There were plenty of reasonably priced guards that signed 1 year deals less than McGlynn's.

Assuming Thornton and Holmes were going to step in as starters this year was a bad gamble, and a bet that he could have easily hedged.

I justify trading Shipley because he's not good himself. If we need a better center, then talk about getting a better center. Stop propping up Shipley as the supposed savior of our offensive line. 

I probably wouldn't have traded him, but he's not worth all the noise, is all I'm saying. 

Khaled Holmes was reinjured in camp. Before the injuries last year at USC, he was expected to be a mid 2nd rounder. He's a good prospect, and can play guard or center, depending on our blocking scheme. We didn't draft him expecting him to be on the shelf through camp and preseason, which took him out of the running for a starting job. He was expected to push for a spot right away.

I don't think Holmes was EVER in the running to start. Scouting reports list him as a 4th rd pick who got used by top computation? He needs to add strength. I haven't seen him play a lick but it anise me when people think this guy is the solution, NO ONE KNOWS he hasn't played!! Its like people thinking Williams was for sure makiing the team was the 3rd down back, we are cutting Brown, we have drafted the next Sproles!! Me I will wait to see on Holmes. Shipley when he did play was OK, Trading him when we had Satele, Holmes, & Mcglynn I think was smart. Satele had a proven record of being a decent center?

I don't think Holmes was EVER in the running to start. Scouting reports list him as a 4th rd pick who got used by top computation? He needs to add strength. I haven't seen him play a lick but it anise me when people think this guy is the solution, NO ONE KNOWS he hasn't played!! Its like people thinking Williams was for sure makiing the team was the 3rd down back, we are cutting Brown, we have drafted the next Sproles!! Me I will wait to see on Holmes. Shipley when he did play was OK, Trading him when we had Satele, Holmes, & Mcglynn I think was smart. Satele had a proven record of being a decent center?

Well, i've seen him play. Imagine a weaker and more passive samson satele and you got holmes.

I think he still deserves the benefit of the doubt.  Given the Colts schedule, injuries, etc they are 8-4 and basically have the division locked up.  Not too shabby.  

I dont think Bey was a bad gamble to be the #3 or #4 guy, but when Reggie went down he had to be the #2.  He isnt a #2.  

I dont blame Grigson on the lineman either, one is starting and the other would be.  

The only thing I dont like is the Richardson trade, with that being said we would have needed another back anyway.  Brown cant do it solo.

I think he still deserves the benefit of the doubt.  Given the Colts schedule, injuries, etc they are 8-4 and basically have the division locked up.  Not too shabby.  

I dont think Bey was a bad gamble to be the #3 or #4 guy, but when Reggie went down he had to be the #2.  He isnt a #2.  

I dont blame Grigson on the lineman either, one is starting and the other would be.  

The only thing I dont like is the Richardson trade, with that being said we would have needed another back anyway.  Brown cant do it solo.

Thornton is only starting because the of the total garbage we have at OL, but he is not playing that well and definitely needed another year as a backup.  Not addressing the OL issue better with FA was a mistake by Grigson.

We could have picked up a number of backs off the street who would have given us as much or more than what Richardson has, and we would not be out a 1st round draft pick.

When do you give a drafted player a shot at a starting job? Do you assume that, because he isn't starting in his first year, that he can't perform in future years? What if the player's preseason is interrupted by injury? No one knows whether Holmes would have been the starter, but we do know that he didn't get to compete for the job. There's absolutely no reason to assume that he wouldn't have been in competition with Satele. That's what camp is for.

Please don't lump me in with those jumping on the Kerwynn Williams bandwagon, especially in favor of cutting Donald Brown. I'm not the guy who anoints rookies as the answer to any problem. My assertion was simply that Grigson felt fine with trading Shipley because he had just drafted a pretty good prospect in Holmes.

Going back to Holmes, I live in SoCal, and watch plenty of USC football. Holmes was a really good center in college. He does need to add strength, he is more suited for a ZBS, but that's probably what we should be running anyways. None of our linemen are winning at the point of attack on a regular basis. He's more athletic than Satele, and as such would be a better fit in that more suitable scheme. Before he got hurt, he was projected as high as the early 2nd round. Things change quickly, to be sure, but he was always rated very well. 

As I have said I give him Thomas and Cherilus, those were good pick ups.  But, I fail to see how us signing another FA guard to a 1 year deal unreasonable?  If Thorton or Holmes had stepped up than we drop him at end of season just like we are going to do(or should do) with McGlynn.  FA guard in, McGlynn out   ...  definitely not unreasonable.  There were plenty of reasonably priced guards that signed 1 year deals less than McGlynn's.

Assuming Thornton and Holmes were going to step in as starters this year was a bad gamble, and a bet that he could have easily hedged.

Maybe on a one year deal, someone like Slauson would have been decent. I'll give you that. But when you start suggesting that Grigson should have overhauled 60-80% of our starting line, you should also acknowledge just how tall a task he was facing. I think he made good additions, and some of the development of the line and the younger players has been sabotaged by injuries and poor play by some of the holdovers. 

Like I said, if you say "the line isn't playing well, and that's on Grigson," you won't get an argument out of me. When you start saying "Grigson failed to address the line" is when I speak up. 

"However, given how poorly this season has gone, Grigson deserves, at the very least, a good amount of the blame this season and, at the most, the majority of it.

Things haven't exactly gone as planned for the Colts in 2013.  Yes, the team is currently 8-4 and has essentially locked up the AFC South title"

??

I stopped reading right there. 

Oh, I don't think I made it that far..........

"Perhaps the best question about Grigson's situation was brought up by Brad Wells of Stampede Blue, who wondered if the reason for success last season was due to Tom Telesco, the former Vice President of Football Operations, who is now the General Manager of the San Diego Chargers."

Any writer who praises Brad Wells loses all credibility with me. 

"Matt Hasselbeck's signing was a real head-scratcher for me.  Some said that he was there to help Andrew Luck be more comfortable in the offense, but is a 38-year-old backup quarterback worth $7.25 million over two years?"  

Does the name Curtis Painter mean anything to you at all?  :facepalm:  You can never find out too late that your backup is awful when your franchise QB goes down. Right Bill Polian?  :P

Oh, I don't think I made it that far..........

The only reason I kept reading the article was just to see how bad poor writing with pathetic conclusions could really truly get like a symbolic train wreck that you know is coming, but you just can't look away. I hope journalism schools use the Bleacher Report as an example of lazy reporting highlighting sweeping conclusions with no foundation in accuracy spewing half truths or at best a fuzzy, incomplete picture of reality.  

He's right...

About what exactly? That Grigson's draft & free agency selections have either been injured or not met their level of expectations? The only bust or misfire I can see right now is DHB. 

Enlighten me sir, what is Tyler Brooke right about? Spending too much money with disappointing results? It's too soon to even evaluate that from a meaningful perspective IMO. But, then again, I am a historian/archivist by trade so I view the success rate of most things at 5 year intervals anyway. 

I don't have all the answers, but I am curious to hear your assessment of what Mr. Brooke is so right about. You are under no obligation to answer IUfan_Charlie. 

Hold on, you mean Grigson is human?  Now that the honeymoon is over he can be judged like every other GM. He will make mistakes and he will have successes. At the end of the day it will be the coaches and players, to a large degree, who determine Grigson's legacy. 

For instance, Jerry Hughes many would say was Polians worst pick, and now one could say he was Grigson's worst trade.

Sometimes  the GM's get too much credit and too much criticism. The success of the players is in the coaches hands too.

Hold on, you mean Grigson is human?  Now that the honeymoon is over he can be judged like every other GM. He will make mistakes and he will have successes. At the end of the day it will be the coaches and players, to a large degree, who determine Grigson's legacy. 

For instance, Jerry Hughes many would say was Polians worst pick, and now one could say he was Grigson's worst trade.

Sometimes  the GM's get too much credit and too much criticism. The success of the players is in the coaches hands too.

Exactly wordofmouth! All any NFL GM can do is bring in the athletic talent. He has no control over how well they play on the field. I have been hard on Grigs & his press conferences that are cryptic at times, but the man is an exceptional talent scout & I would never hold him liable for player injuries in a million years. And remember: Jim Irsay signs all the checks inside LOS & he signs off on all draft & free agency moves too. The owner seems to be fine with the Colts direction. Jim didn't object to picking up Bradshaw or Richardson either. 

Did we under perform this year? No, we are still in the hunt for a division title. Is it disappointing that so many RBs are down or out of the lineup? Sure it is, but I don't blame Grigs for that at all. 

Don't blame the O-Line, the offensive line coach and coordinator has to take most of the blame.  They're paid to coach and I don't think that's the case....Pep needs to be fired, he's standing in the sideline like a statue.  No emotions, sometimes you need top reb up your offense with a little Pep talk, unfortunately that is NOT happening.

Don't blame the O-Line, the offensive line coach and coordinator has to take most of the blame.  They're paid to coach and I don't think that's the case....Pep needs to be fired, he's standing in the sideline like a statue.  No emotions, sometimes you need top reb up your offense with a little Pep talk, unfortunately that is NOT happening.

All the coaching in the world would not help what we are forced to call an interior O Line

Yeah, that didn't make much sense to me either. We're definitely struggling at the moment, but I wouldn't say the season has gone "poorly" at all.

I wouldn't either. The Colts should finish either 10-6 or 11-5. That is a great year for any team and considering the Colt's injuries, it is a great record.  :D

I think the article is right on point. Some people point to the 8-4 record, but that has really come despite a poor 2013 draft class, and despite some very questionable free agent signings. In fact, I have to wonder whether last year's team, with no personnel changes at all, might have achieved this same 8-4 record this year.

I do think the team will be better once Donald Thomas and Dwayne Allen return, even more so if Reggie returns to his former self. But that leads back to the issue of depth, which leads back to Grigson, and a list of some very questionable decisions that isn't getting any shorter.

OH NO!!

I sometimes wonder, if GRIG'S didn't close his eyes and pick from a hat with this garbage draft class. The holmes pick is a real head scratcher, since he came from a  zone blocking team in college and we mainly run man blocking, with elements of zone. Why we didn't draft larry warford, i'll never know. He (grig's) set us back a year with this heaping pile of hot mess of a draft.

I sometimes wonder, if GRIG'S didn't close his eyes and pick from a hat with this garbage draft class. The holmes pick is a real head scratcher, since he came from a  zone blocking team in college and we mainly run man blocking, with elements of zone. Why we didn't draft larry warford, i'll never know. He (grig's) set us back a year with this heaping pile of hot mess of a draft.

We will see if he pans out, but I do wonder if grigson can judge OL talent, he I know was an OLmen but he probable help put together Philly's OL & they aren't that good either?

If one can comprehend the header of the article, and have the wisdom to get past the poorly stated, ONE Sentence 2nd paragragh,

it shouldn`t be that hard to see the writer is largely Spot On.

Grigson is 100% Responsible for the O-Line, and DHB has been a killer. Walden has made some plays lately but was pretty bad early. Still a question whether we want him back IMO, as it shouldn`t be hard to replace his level of productivity.

We can go back and forth on individual moves, including the draft and Richardson.

Risk, reward, & failure occur in the NFL. Give it 3 full years to see the Roster trajectory.

We replaced at least 8 starters as I recall and there should have been at least 2 more.

We are still young and dumb in areas, including the QB, with new coaching, new players, and real weakness with depth.

It is what it is. And so far, we have watched considerably less bad FB against bad Teams than we did last season.

If we get everyone back healthy next season, with a few nice FA tweaks to the roster, draft a few solid hopefulls, we are farther along with the BUILD and once again, All is Possible.

I would have liked to have seen Ijalana Warford Shipley Vasquez and Castonzo as our O-Line. It was very doable IMO.

The $$ spent on Thomas and saved between Cherilus could have gone towards a veteran pass rusher. AHHHH says Andrew,and ahhh for the D.

My thoughts exactly