Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2014 Salary-Cap. Colts in good shape

1959Colts

6.5 is the same as the kickers made this year, i'm sure pat wants more and will cost a lot  more if he is franchised again. if you cut satale, you would be signing someone for about the same amount to replace him. the highest pick the colts will have is a low 2nd, so i am not confident in filling any starting position with this years draft. with the injury history in the secondary, i think we need more than a 2nd tier safety. hopefully we get lucky with a couple players in the draft and can get rid of salary in 2015.

i don't think any of this years free agents were busts and will be released. richardson is the only bust, and his contract is guaranteed so cutting him only hurts the cap. wayne is a free agent in 2015, and mathis is 10.75 on the cap for 2015.

whatever happens, there really isn't as much cap space as the op implies.

MacAfee isn't consistent enough to be asking for more money imo

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6.5 is the same as the kickers made this year, i'm sure pat wants more and will cost a lot  more if he is franchised again. if you cut satale, you would be signing someone for about the same amount to replace him. the highest pick the colts will have is a low 2nd, so i am not confident in filling any starting position with this years draft. with the injury history in the secondary, i think we need more than a 2nd tier safety. hopefully we get lucky with a couple players in the draft and can get rid of salary in 2015.

i don't think any of this years free agents were busts and will be released. richardson is the only bust, and his contract is guaranteed so cutting him only hurts the cap. wayne is a free agent in 2015, and mathis is 10.75 on the cap for 2015.

whatever happens, there really isn't as much cap space as the op implies.

I don't think you release any 2013 vets but my point is you can sign a 2014 free agent and use a low 2014 cap # as you know you have wiggle room going forward. 

If you release Satale , you can go after a 2014 free agent center and help the roster .. no ? I mean .. I would consider center a huge weakness on this team. Just like we need a WR and if DHB had a 5 mill salary for 2014 (not the case) would't you count that as cap space as you try to fill the WR "hole." Yes your right if Bey or in the real case Satale was a contributor. Other words if we sign mack for 7 mill per year , we have a huge upgrade on the O line for a net of 3 mill.  No... ?

There is no way the Colts are going to pay McAfee "a lot more than 3.5 per year. Furthermore his contract would be a nice signing bonus up front with low base pays the first few years. There is just no way that McAfee's 2014 cap hit is more than 2013's. 

My point with Wayne and mathis is that they aren't going to play forever and they will be off the books in probably a couple years. Plus there is no restructures in either of their contracts that will cause any dead money cap hits. I would think most teams with similar cap room have at similar cap issues as we do. 

I would say that the 39 mill with around 42 players signed is enough room to improve the team significantly and it's about on par for a team with around 40 mill in space. The only expensive sign we should have is V Davis . Can we sign 3-4 top tier free agents ? Yes but we would have problems 3 years down the road and would not be smart. But I do think we can sign enough help to make a difference.

I don't think you release any 2013 vets but my point is you can sign a 2014 free agent and use a low 2014 cap # as you know you have wiggle room going forward. 

If you release Satale , you can go after a 2014 free agent center and help the roster .. no ? I mean .. I would consider center a huge weakness on this team. Just like we need a WR and if DHB had a 5 mill salary for 2014 (not the case) would't you count that as cap space as you try to fill the WR "hole." Yes your right if Bey or in the real case Satale was a contributor. Other words if we sign mack for 7 mill per year , we have a huge upgrade on the O line for a net of 3 mill.  No... ?

There is no way the Colts are going to pay McAfee "a lot more than 3.5 per year. Furthermore his contract would be a nice signing bonus up front with low base pays the first few years. There is just no way that McAfee's 2014 cap hit is more than 2013's. 

My point with Wayne and mathis is that they aren't going to play forever and they will be off the books in probably a couple years. Plus there is no restructures in either of their contracts that will cause any dead money cap hits. I would think most teams with similar cap room have at similar cap issues as we do. 

I would say that the 39 mill with around 42 players signed is enough room to improve the team significantly and it's about on par for a team with around 40 mill in space. The only expensive sign we should have is V Davis . Can we sign 3-4 top tier free agents ? Yes but we would have problems 3 years down the road and would not be smart. But I do think we can sign enough help to make a difference.

the colts have to be careful about the "wiggle room going forward" with luck, ty, and allen's contracts ending.

releasing satale and signing another center would be about a wash on the salary cap, but hopefully a improvement. i don't have a problem with this, but 7 million is too much for a center.

i think the colts can sign a guard, wr, safety, and lb to improve the team. we agree on not the top free agents.

the colts have to be careful about the "wiggle room going forward" with luck, ty, and allen's contracts ending.

releasing satale and signing another center would be about a wash on the salary cap, but hopefully a improvement. i don't have a problem with this, but 7 million is too much for a center.

i think the colts can sign a guard, wr, safety, and lb to improve the team. we agree on not the top free agents.

I was giving an example of why cutting Satale adds to the cap and probably ends up improving a team.  But yes 7 mill is a lot of a kicker but so was 10 mill for 2 kickers and a back up QB in 2013. Considering the interior O Line , i would not be against signing Mack but as you infer.... everything has it's price.

We have 2 years before the 2012 rookies are due new contracts and I don't really see anyone other than Luck that will deserve a big contract. Luck will not be a huge cap issue until 2017. 2016 will be the average of the top 10 QB's .. pricey but not horrible. 

But yea... were not far apart on where we are at. 

Whatever Grigson does I trust, but I would love to see a high quality center and guard. and a decent WR if we do not take one high in the draft. I think Byrd is going to cost ALOT, he is a great player, but he will be ALOT and I don't think we will pursue it. If we do then yeah im all for it but I wont get my hopes up.

most of the manning years, the colts had cap problems trying to keep their own players. they really didn't have cap room to sign "big name" free agents. there were times the colts had to cut good players to get under the cap.

The Colts have money now while Luck is still in his rookie contract. If they don't sign and lock up good players now, then they may never get another chance unless Luck takes a pay cut (which I hope will happen). I'm not saying to go on a wild spending spree, I'm just saying to get guys like Alex Mack who will do wonders for Luck.

The Colts have money now while Luck is still in his rookie contract. If they don't sign and lock up good players now, then they may never get another chance unless Luck takes a pay cut (which I hope will happen). I'm not saying to go on a wild spending spree, I'm just saying to get guys like Alex Mack who will do wonders for Luck.

I wonder what you guys are gonna do when the Browns franchise tag Alex Mack. 

Yeah there's no way Cleveland lets him walk.

If they do, absolutely, let's sign him. I just don't see it happening. The Browns have enough cap space and flexibility to keep Mack on a tag all year if they want. Their cash outlay in 2014 is reasonable. If they let him walk without tagging him, I'll be shocked.

If they do, absolutely, let's sign him. I just don't see it happening. The Browns have enough cap space and flexibility to keep Mack on a tag all year if they want. Their cash outlay in 2014 is reasonable. If they let him walk without tagging him, I'll be shocked.

I agree. If they magically let him walk I know Grigson will be all over Mack coming to Indianapolis.

Get somebody, anybody! Grigson is a great General Manager but what I don't get is how he can say that the #1 priority was to protect Luck and still have McGlynn and Satele starting. Not just on the team, but STARTING. They may be the worst lineman in the NFL and he knew what was going to happen if he didn't replace them and still didn't replace them.

Thornton and Holmes are rookies and will need some more years in order to be at that starting level. Its a shame what happened to Thomas. Winston Justice was an average tackle and the Colts would be fine with resigning him starting and not signing Cherilus. But signing no one to replace McGlynn and Satele right away was a big mistake.

You really think they will risk tagging him?  Since they don't differentiate OL positions they will be tagging him based on left tackle salary, so they would be giving him about $11 million for 1 year ...that's kind of risky, he may be tempted to play under the tag that size and wait a year to go out and sign a nice big contract.  I think they almost have to let him test free agency, and then try to beat any offers.

You really think they will risk tagging him?  Since they don't differentiate OL positions they will be tagging him based on left tackle salary, so they would be giving him about $11 million for 1 year ...that's kind of risky, he may be tempted to play under the tag that size and wait a year to go out and sign a nice big contract.  I think they almost have to let him test free agency, and then try to beat any offers.

If I were the Browns, I'd be offering him a deal right now. But if push comes to shove, I don't see why they wouldn't tag him. Even at $11m, or whatever the OL tag winds up being.

Get somebody, anybody! Grigson is a great General Manager but what I don't get is how he can say that the #1 priority was to protect Luck and still have McGlynn and Satele starting. Not just on the team, but STARTING. They may be the worst lineman in the NFL and he knew what was going to happen if he didn't replace them and still didn't replace them.

Thornton and Holmes are rookies and will need some more years in order to be at that starting level. Its a shame what happened to Thomas. Winston Justice was an average tackle and the Colts would be fine with resigning him starting and not signing Cherilus. But signing no one to replace McGlynn and Satele right away was a big mistake.

Thing is, I think we're going to give it to Holmes before we spend money on a FA center. He was a promising prospect, and he got a slow start this year due to injury. I think Grigson anticipated Holmes and Thornton challenging for spots before the end of the year.

The other thing is that Satele wasn't healthy last year. The official line was that he'd be better this year. Hasn't happened.

If I were the Browns, I'd be offering him a deal right now. But if push comes to shove, I don't see why they wouldn't tag him. Even at $11m, or whatever the OL tag winds up being.

You would think they would be trying to get him locked down.  They could and may very well tag him, but at $11 million what happens next year when they are looking at a $12-$13 million tag .... if they let him walk than they paid a huge amount to rent him for one year and if he forces a second tag than they have paid him the equivalent of a 4-5 year contract for a top center. 

I think Mack is definitely in the drivers seat, if he is willing I think they will give him a lucrative contract probably even overpaying a little, but if he seems determined to try out free agency I think they will let him test the waters to keep things on good terms with him; and then just let him know they are open to potentially beating any offer he gets.

Thing is, I think we're going to give it to Holmes before we spend money on a FA center. He was a promising prospect, and he got a slow start this year due to injury. I think Grigson anticipated Holmes and Thornton challenging for spots before the end of the year.

The other thing is that Satele wasn't healthy last year. The official line was that he'd be better this year. Hasn't happened.

The problem is that Satele and McGlynn were going to be starting when the season started. We're assuming that Luck makes it to the end of the season (which he has) behind that O-line. Luck looks tired and weary out on the field, but at least he's still playing. That being said, they have to do a WAY better job of protecting him.

If somehow, someway the Browns let Alex Mack go then the Colts must go after him harder than the Broncos went after Peyton Manning. Its remarkable how Luck manage to stay healthy after taking a beating for 2 seasons. But 3 seasons? NO WAY. If the Colts want Luck around for another year, let alone 10-15 years, then they must sign Mack or any other big name interior lineman.

The problem is that Satele and McGlynn were going to be starting when the season started. We're assuming that Luck makes it to the end of the season (which he has) behind that O-line. Luck looks tired and weary out on the field, but at least he's still playing. That being said, they have to do a WAY better job of protecting him.

If somehow, someway the Browns let Alex Mack go then the Colts must go after him harder than the Broncos went after Peyton Manning. Its remarkable how Luck manage to stay healthy after taking a beating for 2 seasons. But 3 seasons? NO WAY. If the Colts want Luck around for another year, let alone 10-15 years, then they must sign Mack or any other big name interior lineman.

BINGO! couldn't of said it better myself. The interior linemen MUST be fixed, I love Andrew and love his play making ability and who he is, but I hate seeing our QB get hit over and over or have the pocket collapse milliseconds after the snap is called. If we fix the interior line, not only will it protect Luck, but it'll open up some lanes for T.Rich. Go Colts and stay Coltstrong!