Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Its a Donald Brown night (mega merge)

oldunclemark

The Indianapolis Colts version of Stephon Tayler or Gaffney. Pep Hamilton likes him.

Wonder where Trent Richardson will be placed down the road. It's obvious the Stanford university vision is starting to form

Offensive line won't block for Trent Richardson but he wear down the defense for Donald Brown to do what he does. Like Mike Mayock said, body blow body bloe then kill shot

Great win tonight!!!! :colts::cheer:

Give Trent time to find his own. He's only in his 2nd year. There's so much talent in him. That being said I'm very happy that Donald Brown is playing well. He's showing why he was drafted where he was, just wish it hadn't taken him so long.

Even when he's good...there's regrets....

That's the difference between Brown and Richardson...

I relay think the belief that he;s highly talented is evcause we SAW Trent play at Alabama and nobody really saw Brown gain 2,000 yards his junior year at UConn....

..nobody watches UConn football

Playing for a contract.....sometimes it just takes guys time to develop...at this point I don't think we can afford to bring him back....he is openinig eyes around the league. Apparantly Irsay saw this in the kid....it just didn't happen right away.

great, it only took him 5 years.. honestly, i would like grigs to resign him, but for a contract that reflects his production and play over his whole career in the pro's (and that's not much)..

if DB asks for a big contract (cause he was a first round pick, or one good year out of five), let him walk, let someone else overpay him (we did our share of overpaying this year) :)

That's right, Donald Brown always had good games against the Titans.

I think he's had good games against virtually every opponent this year, considering his 5.9 yards/carry average (nearly twice that of Richardson). At this point, he has really earned the #1 spot, but of course we know they'll never give him that.

Brown sees holes better than Richardson, has more burst, and has better balance when hit, which allows him to stay on his feet.

It makes me laugh when people say Donald has just now started to perform. Yes, he has definitely stepped up his game this season, but reality is:

DB's average ypc before this year =4.1  and total career now is at 4.3  ypc

Edgerrin James before knee injury= 4.3 ypc and total career as Colt=4.2 ypc

Joseph Addai career as a Colt=4.1 ypc

Yes, many things affect results, but honestly, DB has done his work with lesser O lines as well. Especially the last 2 years, when his average ypc has been 4.5 with very bad O lines. He even ran for 4.8 ypc the season we were a disaster as a team.

Just pretty interesting stuff on a guy that has been vilified by us over the years but has saved our bacon on the ground this year.

I think he's had good games against virtually every opponent this year, considering his 5.9 yards/carry average (nearly twice that of Richardson). At this point, he has really earned the #1 spot, but of course we know they'll never give him that.

Brown sees holes better than Richardson, has more burst, and has better balance when hit, which allows him to stay on his feet.

Right on every point.

great, it only took him 5 years.. honestly, i would like grigs to resign him, but for a contract that reflects his production and play over his whole career in the pro's (and that's not much)..

if DB asks for a big contract (cause he was a first round pick, or one good year out of five), let him walk, let someone else overpay him (we did our share of overpaying this year) :)

Others have said he has done pretty well the last couple years in THIS SYSTEM. I'm not saying go crazy paying him but he has shown what he is capable of. He plays well in this NEW system and of course you pay based on what he WILL do...not what he has done. The reason he likely struggled before is because in Peytons system it is IMPERATIVE to pass block well...and that is Donalds weakest part of his game......so...you can't block..you can't play for Peyton. I don't know what he will get but he has raised eyebrows all over the league and I imagine he will get a nice contract (for a rb) based on that and the fact he should have a lot of tread left.

Others have said he has done pretty well the last couple years in THIS SYSTEM. I'm not saying go crazy paying him but he has shown what he is capable of. He plays well in this NEW system and of course you pay based on what he WILL do...not what he has done. The reason he likely struggled before is because in Peytons system it is IMPERATIVE to pass block well...and that is Donalds weakest part of his game......so...you can't block..you can't play for Peyton. I don't know what he will get but he has raised eyebrows all over the league and I imagine he will get a nice contract (for a rb) based on that and the fact he should have a lot of tread left.

I never understood this theory, We have done this with Ricky Jean Francois and its not worked out well to this point, I believe ya pay for what you think he will do BASED ON him doing it before...As to Brown specifically injuroes have pretty much limited him in the past, He's got enough strength to break tackles and get the tough yards but is not elite in this category, He's pretty fast...Not elite in this category but can break the big one if there is daylight, He has good enough hands that he is a threat to catch and get huge yardage from it but still not elite or great in this category. His vision in this scheme has certainly sky rocketed, ya dont need a Back with elite this or that, just a Back that can stay healthy that has average ability to do all the things a Back should be able to do(break tackles sometimes)  that is comfortable in your scheme. It appears we have that in Brown, Truthfully if he could stay healthy and proves he can carry the load when asked (or majority of the carries anyway) I'd like to see him do it but doubt that will ever be in the cards for him

I never understood this theory, We have done this with Ricky Jean Francois and its not worked out well to this point, I believe ya pay for what you think he will do BASED ON him doing it before...As to Brown specifically injuroes have pretty much limited him in the past, He's got enough strength to break tackles and get the tough yards but is not elite in this category, He's pretty fast...Not elite in this category but can break the big one if there is daylight, He has good enough hands that he is a threat to catch and get huge yardage from it but still not elite or great in this category. His vision in this scheme has certainly sky rocketed, ya dont need a Back with elite this or that, just a Back that can stay healthy that has average ability to do all the things a Back should be able to do(break tackles sometimes)  that is comfortable in your scheme. It appears we have that in Brown, Truthfully if he could stay healthy and proves he can carry the load when asked (or majority of the carries anyway) I'd like to see him do it but doubt that will ever be in the cards for him

I agree to a certain extent about having shown they can do it...but we've seen it with our own eyes....starting last year and now this year....he is showing he has it together....he's turned into a great change of pace back...someone will sign him..I hope it is us but I understand the costs might prohibit us.

It makes me laugh when people say Donald has just now started to perform. Yes, he has definitely stepped up his game this season, but reality is:

Yes, many things affect results, but honestly, DB has done his work with lesser O lines as well. Especially the last 2 years, when his average ypc has been 4.5 with very bad O lines. He even ran for 4.8 ypc the season we were a disaster as a team.

Just pretty interesting stuff on a guy that has been vilified by us over the years but has saved our bacon on the ground this year.

Please keep saying this

Donald Brown was never a bust....He was a halfback on pass oriented team until this year..

....but his speed and ball security is something we need

Excellent points. I don't understand people who think he should be able to run through solid objects. Either the holes are there or they are not. The Colts' run-blocking has been sub-par for nearly a decade. It's unrealistic to expect ANY back to excel under such circumstances. Brown and Richardson both run behind the same line. The stats are pretty clear.

Hoosyer daddy?  Everyone doubted DB except DB.   If he has a chip on his shoulder now, we can't blame him.  What an enigma this team is.  Why can't they come out of the tunnel ready to play ball?  Then to be able to run the ball and take most of the time off the clock to end the game with the score in our favor.  I don't remember the Colts ever being able to run the ball to control the clock.  It has always been, the Colts need one 1st down to win the game and could not get 1 yard.  Over and over we lost games that way.  Well it's a new day and I like it.  :disco: