Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

what is needed more

DE is a much bigger need then ILB. Freeman is a great player and Conner is solid but for some reason the coaches won't play him when he clearly is the 2nd best ILB on the team. RJF was a bad signing he's a below average player we could have used that money to sign Louis Vasquez. Redding is getting up there in age but we can find a DE in later rounds, i still think CB is the biggest need defensively.

The way I see it, a lot of our positions of need can be filled via FA or draft ( except perhaps WR)

Slots we can fill in FA

ILB: if we sign Rolando McClain ( if he returns to the NFL), Joe Mays

DE: Arthur Jones 

CB: Sam Shields

C: Alex Mack

OLB: Brian Orakpo ( Doubt it but could be a nice replacement after Mathis)

Needs we can fill in the Draft:

Back up safety: Sean Parker

CB: Bradley Roby if he falls

With that said, I feel we can perhaps afford to pay in FA and maybe use draft picks to either trade up to get players we want or stock piles next year for a possible #1 WR ( like Dorial Green Beckham or TY Montgomery)

If you look at what affected us in the Chargers game it was primarily poor play of one corner and the inability to stop the inside run.  The latter was definitely affected by Freeman getting concussed and having to leave the game.  Our run stopping went to hell and we are now ranked 31st in the league in rushing defense.  Having a solid understudy from the 3rd or 4th round to back Freeman up might not be a bad idea but Toller was really whipped by Keenan Allen and he was a 3rd round pick so I think CB is just as high as OLB. 

Keep in mind that in a traditional 3-4 the DE is a run stopper not a pressure guy.   If the draft were held tomorrow I'd make it a defense focused draft with CB in the 2nd round and OLB in the 3rd followed by ILB in the 4th round.  Once Thomas comes back and our rookies get more experience our O-line should start to gel...they haven't been complete garbage like it was last year. 

WR would be nice, but I think we're looking at 2015 or free agency for that.  Wayne should be solid for another year or two.  DHB can hit the road after this year IMHO.  The rest of the guys after Hilton are fillers only...#3's or worse.

Resign

1.Vontae Davis

2.Antoine Bethea

3.Pat Mcafee

4.Adam Vinatieri

5.Fili Moala

6.Justin Hickman

7.Kavell Conner

Sign

1.Sam Shields 2 year deal

2.Joe Mays 1 year deal

3.O'Brien Schofield 2 year deal

4.Anquan Boldin 1 year deal

Draft

2.Jordan Matthews

3.Jeremiah Attaochu

4.Chris Borland

5.Deandre Coleman

Not sure what rounds we pick in at this point beyond that

FA & Draft

Resign:

1.Vontae Davis

2. Antoine Bethea

3.Pat Mcafee

4. Adam Vinatieri

5. Joe Reitz

Sign:

1.Alex Mack C

2. Arthur Jones DE

3. Corey Graham CB

Draft:

2. Jordan Matthews, WR, 6'3 205 lbs, Vanderbilt - Day 1 starter

3. Max Bullough, ILB, 6'3 252 lbs, Michigan - Day 1 starter

5. Mason Walters, G, 6-6 320 lbs, Texas - possible starter if Thomas doesn't come back fully healthy but mostly depth

7. Ciante Evans, CB, 5'11 190 lbs, Nebraska - depth

I think our pass rush will be fine once Werner comes back and Mathis still has 2 to 3 good years left. WR and ILB are the two positions where we need major upgrades and starters.

GoColtsGo5150, on 15 Oct 2013 - 1:13 PM, said:

The way I see it, a lot of our positions of need can be filled via FA or draft ( except perhaps WR)

Slots we can fill in FA

ILB: if we sign Rolando McClain ( if he returns to the NFL), Joe Mays

DE: Arthur Jones 

CB: Sam Shields

C: Alex Mack

OLB: Brian Orakpo ( Doubt it but could be a nice replacement after Mathis)

Needs we can fill in the Draft:

Back up safety: Sean Parker

CB: Bradley Roby if he falls

With that said, I feel we can perhaps afford to pay in FA and maybe use draft picks to either trade up to get players we want or stock piles next year for a possible #1 WR ( like Dorial Green Beckham or TY Montgomery)

if they can get those players in FA and a different CB than roby I would be ecstatic. I'm an OSU fan and Roby isn't looking like the shutdown corner he was proposed to be.

if they can get those players in FA and a different CB than roby I would be ecstatic. I'm an OSU fan and Roby isn't looking like the shutdown corner he was proposed to be.

If Roby did look like a shutdown corner then it wouldn't matter because he wouldn't be available for their pick. Roby would be a great #2 behind Davis and plays the same type of coverage that Davis employs and is successful at.