Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

vontae davis

runthepost

Davis and Howell got beat?  See this is why I can't take some of these threads seriously.  If you watched the play, not only did Howell completely whiff on coverage, he completely took Davis out of the play too.  Davis was perfectly fine on coverage until Howell botched the play.

Yes they got beat, hence the td 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Toler is not molded to be an outside corner.

He's a slot guy.

Why doesn't Grigson and Manusky understand this?

I wondered why some fans did not understand that actually when we signed him, He will make some plays but he will get abused to much

Davis didn't.  Howell did. 

http://prod.www.chargers.clubs.nfl.com/multimedia/videos/San-Diego-wide-receiver-Keenan-Allen-22-yard-touchdown/0eb7c726-4820-4543-a529-0f3e00d11429

Look at the top left, Davis is clearly covering him and than he gets beat. Howell made a bonehead play by under-cutting it, but that wouldn't matter if Davis stuck to his guy. Both of them got beat on the play. Also look at how bad Mathis is being held, how am i the only one to notice this?

http://prod.www.chargers.clubs.nfl.com/multimedia/videos/San-Diego-wide-receiver-Keenan-Allen-22-yard-touchdown/0eb7c726-4820-4543-a529-0f3e00d11429

Look at the top left, Davis is clearly covering him and than he gets beat. Howell made a bonehead play by under-cutting it, but that wouldn't matter if Davis stuck to his guy. Both of them got beat on the play. Also look at how bad Mathis is being held, how am i the only one to notice this?

You are the only one who notice this because you do not understand how different assignments work in different defenses and you fail to listen or read when other people try to explain it to you.

The only way they will be matched up is if DT is on the left side of the formation smh

Shake your head all you want to. If the Colts are playing him on one side, they're wasting the talent of a good cover corner. He should be covering the opponents top receiver, regardless of where he lines up.

You are the only one who notice this because you do not understand how different assignments work in different defenses and you fail to listen or read when other people try to explain it to you.

I don't think there are many assignments on defense regarding holding... read before ya type son. Too much coffee I think there ;)

Shake your head all you want to. If the Colts are playing him on one side, they're wasting the talent of a good cover corner. He should be covering the opponents top receiver, regardless of where he lines up.

That's why I'm shaking my head

Davis and Howell got beat by him on the td. More on Howeel though, but still

No one can know for sure the assignments but the coaches and players, But that looked all on Howell, he should have been over the top but he broke on (I think it was Gates) running an out, and hung Vontae out to dry.

Okay, you substituted the word "built" for "molded" And defined the slot.  But you are still saying the same thing... what does that mean?  What skills does he have or not have that make him better against a slot receiver than an outside receiver?  Why do you think he would do well as one and not the other.

And it can't be size because at 6' 190lbs he is both taller and heavier than the NFL average for CBs. (which is 5'10", 182lbs)

I'm just saying I don't think he's an every down player.. This is just my opinion I am not an expert here.. The experts had him as a nickel corner when he was in Arizona. I guess you can push him all over the field and line him against the receiver he's capable at covering best.

I'm just saying I don't think he's an every down player.. This is just my opinion I am not an expert here.. The experts had him as a nickel corner when he was in Arizona. I guess you can push him all over the field and line him against the receiver he's capable at covering best.

Fair enough.  I just didn't understand the built to be a nickle back and molded to be a nickle back because the skill set to play the slot and outside seem the same to me, perhaps even more demanding moving inside just because those WRs tend to be quicker.

I don't think there are many assignments on defense regarding holding... read before ya type son. Too much coffee I think there ;)

Too much coffee, never heard that one before.  Before I hit "post" I thought, perhaps he was talking about the not seeing the holding on Mathis.  And yes it was an obvious hold but the refs weren't calling a lot of holding on either side so as a Colt fan it bothered me, as a football fan they seemed to be calling it the same both ways so I don't have a problem with it.

Sorry, you're on your own on this one.  No one sees it the way you do.  I've tried to explain it to you, and you can blame Davis all you want.  It wasn't Davis' fault.

Sorry, you're on your own on this one.  No one sees it the way you do.  I've tried to explain it to you, and you can blame Davis all you want.  It wasn't Davis' fault.

So no one sees the holding? Because that's What I said "how am I the only one to notice this"

Davis played a bad game anyways, whatever side Allen went to it was a completed pass.

Davis played well, Toler was the one that was getting beat. This is why i said we need to go CB early in draft, Toler is a slot CB forced to be played on the outside. Now he'll have to cover Thomas and Decker not looking forward to it.

It's not the CB's, it's the lack of a pass rush that is the problem. You can put Sherman back there and it wouldn't matter if the QB has 3 + seconds to throw every play

So no one sees the holding? Because that's What I said "how am I the only one to notice this"

Davis played a bad game anyways, whatever side Allen went to it was a completed pass.

Never said he had a good game, but on this play, his coverages was perfectly fine.  You can complain about the holding, but no flag was thrown.  Allen, on this one play, was covered, until Howell missed the coverage and basically knocked Davis out of coverage (or got in his way, however you want to look at it).  That was my only argument.  This was cover 2 zone.  On this play, Davis needs to be able to rely on Howell.  When Howell blew coverage, Davis tried to compensate, Howell then got in Davis' way.  Davis may have not made the play, but we'll never know because of how poorly Howell was on this play.  This one is 100% on Howell.  Not 50%, not 99%, 100%.

It's not the CB's, it's the lack of a pass rush that is the problem. You can put Sherman back there and it wouldn't matter if the QB has 3 + seconds to throw every play

I personally liked Johnthan Banks, who was still available.  Trufant was gone, but he hasn't really done anything.  And I can't say with certainty that Banks has been much better, but it's hard to know since I don't get to watch a great deal of either of them.  From what I've seen, I like Banks, your thoughts?

EDIT: Meant to quote Coltsfanatics post about the CB.  Not saying Werner was a bad pick, but rather just curious what people thought if we had drafted Banks instead.

With the amount of time Rivers had to throw the ball, I can't fault the secondary too much.

I can. Without that touchdown, Chargers kick another FG. They dominated time of possession and everything yet still only had 19 points.

Like I said us losing that game is sickening

I like Toler and Davis..

Not quite sure in what we have in Butler yet..

Can never have too many cb's

"Not quite sure in what we have in Butler yet.."

Butler that lead the team in interceptions last season? That Butler?

Or the Butler that sealed the Seattle Seahawks game with an interception?

Which Butler are you talking about?

I think our corners played well all year, the problem was ZERO pass rush...We could have Deion Sanders, Patrick Peterson, and Revis and eventually receivers are gonna get open if a great QB has all day to throw....They barely threw at Vontae and Toler was almost there a lot of times and has been very good most of the year....Pass rush and DB play off each other and when one is bad it effects the other and this one goes on the pass rush in my opinion..

Never said he had a good game, but on this play, his coverages was perfectly fine.  You can complain about the holding, but no flag was thrown.  Allen, on this one play, was covered, until Howell missed the coverage and basically knocked Davis out of coverage (or got in his way, however you want to look at it).  That was my only argument.  This was cover 2 zone.  On this play, Davis needs to be able to rely on Howell.  When Howell blew coverage, Davis tried to compensate, Howell then got in Davis' way.  Davis may have not made the play, but we'll never know because of how poorly Howell was on this play.  This one is 100% on Howell.  Not 50%, not 99%, 100%.

Okay Coach. I'm glad you know exactly what were running and who does what. So whats the gameplan against he broncos?

http://prod.www.chargers.clubs.nfl.com/multimedia/videos/San-Diego-wide-receiver-Keenan-Allen-22-yard-touchdown/0eb7c726-4820-4543-a529-0f3e00d11429.

not sure you actually understand what you are watching

you should have just stopped posting when everyone took you to school. Davis did not play a bad game.