Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts on DHB so far

sreylas937

DHB was signing autographs at the Circle Centre Mall in downtown Indy yesterday.  I walked down with a buddy and, as we were standing in line, we noticed that DHB was taking the time to hold babies and pose for pictures with them.  I thought that seemed nice and sarcastically said to my buddy (who is always hating on Bey's hands) "See, he's not dropping those babies."  To which he quickly replied, "Try throwing one at him!" 

I think the guy is great at being a team player!  I wish he would catch the passes that he's supposed to catch but there is sooo much more to his game than simply catching the ball.  He set up a score against Houston by drawing that pass interference penalty on a pass he really should have caught.  Believe it or not, defensive backs do respect his speed.  In addition, he is a very capable and willing blocker in the run game.  If he could fix his focus and hands, he would be a beast!  Honestly, I don't see that happening and I doubt we see him back here next year.  He is what he is but let's not forget that he's also a quality human being and a team-first kind of guy.

why would anyone want his autograph

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my biggest concern with Griff that I've been observing each time he plays.  Kids got reliable hands, but almost each time he is targeted he has someone glued to his backside primarily it seems because he lacks speed.  Not only does he lack speed, but he is not experienced enough at this point in his early career to learn how to use body positioning and other things to create space enough to increase his receptions like some of the other NFL receivers from the past who were not very fast. I don't know if he will learn or not, only time will give us that answer.

"Griff Whalen grabbed just three of the nine passes thrown to him. But to Whalen’s credit, he did make a 17-yard reception on the Colts’ game-winning drive in the fourth quarter. Tight end Coby Fleener had three receptions for 64 yards and made a nice catch on their two-point conversion. http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth"

9 targets and only 3 catches in the Houston game.  Almost each target I saw during the game there was a cornerback running stride for stride with Griff and he could not half way gain an inch.  That's my real issue, and I'll give it some time to see if my feelings are wrong.  I will continue to say I like Rogers better as a prospect and my feelings are assumptions for right now until they call him up and we see some real live game action.  My feelings are the guy with the bigger body who is used to working in the slot through the traffic, known for having good hands(Of course that was in college) has a greater chance of out muscling people for catches even when the person who is defending him is faster.  I still also maintain that Rogers is faster than Whalen, but I only have college to go off of at this point and some small things I saw in the pre season.  Once again these are my assumptions, although I must say I feel very strong that my assumptions will be true.  Hopefully I will get to find out soon!

Krunk,

found out today on the Chat that unless Whalen or Brazil get injured DaRick will not come up this year... He did say that he is looking good in practice...

hopefully he continues to be good and forces them to bring him up,,, 

Krunk,

found out today on the Chat that unless Whalen or Brazil get injured DaRick will not come up this year... He did say that he is looking good in practice...

hopefully he continues to be good and forces them to bring him up,,, 

If the other WR continue to be ineffective and HIlton and Fleener are the only targets I don't think this lineup is etched in stone.   Injury can also happen sooner than you think, not that I would wish it upon anyone.

I liked the move at the time it was made. I like the fact that the Colts are very aggressive when trying to improve the team. But I think DHB has been very disappointing. He just doesn't catch the ball well enough to be a quality WR.

I know he is a good blocker. But in pass situations I actually miss Donnie Avery. And I NEVER thought I would say that last year. After O-line, this is the second problem spot that must be addressed in the off season.

why would anyone want his autograph

In my case, my son is a huge fan of any player who wears the shoe.  I'm pretty hardcore myself and understand/appreciate his passion.  On the day in question, I went to the signing to obtain an autograph for my son who was at school or would have, otherwise, gone himself.  I'm not a big fan of grown men asking other grown men to sign stuff.  Just a weird pet peeve, I suppose.  I always ask players to make an autograph out to my son and I'll take an unsigned poster back to my office for myself. 

I know DHB is somewhat polarizing but I have never understood fans actively rooting against or hating on their own players.  To each his own...

In my case, my son is a huge fan of any player who wears the shoe.  I'm pretty hardcore myself and understand/appreciate his passion.  On the day in question, I went to the signing to obtain an autograph for my son who was at school or would have, otherwise, gone himself.  I'm not a big fan of grown men asking other grown men to sign stuff.  Just a weird pet peeve, I suppose.  I always ask players to make an autograph out to my son and I'll take an unsigned poster back to my office for myself. 

I know DHB is somewhat polarizing but I have never understood fans actively rooting against or hating on their own players.  To each his own...

i dont hate him or root against him

i root for him to take a spot on the bench because he is horrible. 

i dont hate him or root against him

i root for him to take a spot on the bench because he is horrible. 

Well, thanks for clarifying your stance.  Not sure your second sentence really supports your first but opinions are like something else we all share.  Everybody has one and, often times, it stinks.  But, at the end of the day, you have to sit on yours and I on mine.  For that reason, I choose to keep mine clean! :thmup:

Hmmm, when I played football the coaches always said if the ball touches your hands or fingers you should catch it. This dont always apply when diving,but does when you dont dive and you should have.

Exactly. And as much as I want DHB to do well and become the star he could be, I'm starting to see why he has not reached that potential yet.

Bey has 1 drop.  Cry me a river Justin Timberlake.

Wayne has a drop rate of 7.1%

Hilton has a drop rate of 5.7%

Bey has a drop rate of 3.9%

Nothing to see here.  Move along.

I like how these stats don't take into account how often the ball is thrown their way.

So misleading. Bey has speed, but cannot work routes like Wanye or Hilton. Luck also goes to him far less.

That said, I think he needs to work on consistency during this season or last. Anyone who says he can catch in traffic is lying to themselves. He can barely catch consistently with separation.

I like how these stats don't take into account how often the ball is thrown their way.

So misleading. Bey has speed, but cannot work routes like Wanye or Hilton. Luck also goes to him far less.

That said, I think he needs to work on consistency during this season or last. Anyone who says he can catch in traffic is lying to themselves. He can barely catch consistently with separation.

Bey has 22 catches on 47 targets. 46.8%

Hilton has 41 catches on 71 targets. 57.8%

Wayne had 38 catches on 55 targets. 69.1%

That's about how I'd rank those three this year.

If anybody was wondering about how Donnie Avery last year compares to DHB:

Avery had 62 catches on 132 targets. 47.0%

I have a hard time believing that stat since I can remember 3 drops in the past few weeks off the top of my head. One a sure TD down the sideline, another was a slant down near the 10 yard line, the 3rd was a hook and the ball bounced off his chest.

Not sure how the guy is counting...must only count the ones that hit DHBs hands and not ones that bounce off his chest.  haha.

I have a hard time believing that stat since I can remember 3 drops in the past few weeks off the top of my head. One a sure TD down the sideline, another was a slant down near the 10 yard line, the 3rd was a hook and the ball bounced off his chest.

Not sure how the guy is counting...must only count the ones that hit DHBs hands and not ones that bounce off his chest. haha.

that post was from a month ago

oh wow aha..my bad then lol

He has 3 drops according to this website.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2013/

I think he gets a bit more criticism for drops than he should.  What he SHOULD get criticism for is never making the difficult catches.  If it's not right in his grill and uncontested, he's probably not making the catch.  So, while not technically a drop, it was a pass that should have been caught.  And I don't have a statistic for that, but I'm willing to bet it's not that good. 

I had high hopes for him thinking that maybe most his issues in Oakland were because of not having any rapport with his QBs since he had so many.  But the simple fact of the matter is, he's just an okay receiver.  Maybe he improves, but I'm not seeing it yet.  Unfortunate, because the guy does have a lot of talent.  He just doesn't tap into it.