Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A significant milestone in the 37-3 win over the Jaguars

BlueShoe

A significant milestone in the 37-3 win over the Jaguars

Remember that we had a few really bad games last year, where we were blown out, and the games we won were usually very close. This caused us to be outscored last season, even though we had a winning record. At 11-5, we scored 357 points in 2012 and allowed 387 points (net -30). 

Going into the Jaguars game we had scored 425 points and allowed 435 points, in the Luck era. 

With a 34 point win against the Jaguars, we are now sitting at plus 24.

At this time our Build the Monster program is in a plus condition and the new regime is now 14-6 in regular season play. 

They're really building the team well.  I love how the defense has been playing these last couple of weeks.  Sure, one game was against the Jags, but we also shut down the 49ers.  The Seahawks will be the biggest test thus far; I'm curious to see how our defense plays against Lynch and Wilson

I agree. I did not expect our defense to look this good, this early on. I also agree about the Seahawks game. We will see how good we really are this week. If we beat the Seahawks then we will have taken out 2 of the 3 top ranked teams at the beginning of the season. Take out Denver in a few weeks and all the eyes in the NFL will be on the Colts.

I remember that well. We Colt fans caught a lot of smack for that stat. I also notice the Texans are -15  in net point stat. but I don't see Colts fans making a big deal over it. Just an observation. 

Yep. Primetime made a big deal out of it going into the playoffs. 

It might not get any better for the Texans as they face the 49ers. I am picking the 49ers to win that game.

I agree. I did not expect our defense to look this good, this early on. I also agree about the Seahawks game. We will see how good we really are this week. If we beat the Seahawks then we will have taken out 2 of the 3 top ranked teams at the beginning of the season. Take out Denver in a few weeks and all the eyes in the NFL will be on the Colts

If we can beat the Seahawks, Broncos, and 49ers, that would be insane!  1/3 down

Could our defense stop the Broncos??  They seem to be more run stoppers than anything else, and we all know that Peyton airs it out.

It's unlikely we can stop the Broncos offense (honestly with that receiving corp, the AFC pro bowl defense probably couldn't stop it), but with a focus on limiting possessions with the run, and as good as our secondary is, we can likely limit it, if only a bit. I have no delusions of Indy winning that game, but the path to do it is the same thing people said for years in how to stop Peyton when he was in Indianapolis, limit possessions with the run game, and pick your poison on who's going to beat you so the game slows down. 

Were gonna have to play an A+++ game to win against denver. Peyton has sooo many weapons and you know hell have our defense broken down by the time we play them. Hes a mastermind. I think we can limit him somewhat, but I dont know it will be enough to win. Honestly as others have already said if we cant run the ball effectivly this game and control the clock or force some turnovers and get points off them than I think our chances will be slim. Peyton is just rolling right now. I hope Im totally wrong on this though. Id love to see us pull this out.

I don't know how the Denver offense is ranked, but they would need to be a not superb group.  Perhaps if it turned into a shootout..., but I'm not sure our offense is up to a shootout.   :hmm:

I give up.  I don't think I know what I'm talking about.  I plead "ambien haze."   :sleepy:

I don't know how the Denver offense is ranked, but they would need to be a not superb group.  Perhaps if it turned into a shootout..., but I'm not sure our offense is up to a shootout.   :hmm:

I give up.  I don't think I know what I'm talking about.  I plead "ambien haze."   :sleepy:

Never get in to a shootout with Denver. That's like trying to beat an air to ground missile with a b.b. gun. The best bet to beat them is to grind the clock out and keep the ball out of the offense's hands as long as you possibly can. Once that train starts getting momentum, it isn't stopping.

The Jags are the only two teams the Colts have handily beat (or in last week's case, destroyed).

I'm really happy to see them in the positives. I'm just waiting to see them beat another team by 20+ points.

Let's make it Seattle this week.

Never get in to a shootout with Denver. That's like trying to beat an air to ground missile with a b.b. gun. The best bet to beat them is to grind the clock out and keep the ball out of the offense's hands as long as you possibly can. Once that train starts getting momentum, it isn't stopping.

We'd have to score tds on every drive to beat denver

It's unlikely we can stop the Broncos offense (honestly with that receiving corp, the AFC pro bowl defense probably couldn't stop it), but with a focus on limiting possessions with the run, and as good as our secondary is, we can likely limit it, if only a bit. I have no delusions of Indy winning that game, but the path to do it is the same thing people said for years in how to stop Peyton when he was in Indianapolis, limit possessions with the run game, and pick your poison on who's going to beat you so the game slows down. 

I would add to that... get after Peyton. The patriots defense had a knack of getting to him. He would get the throw off, but they would hurry him and/or knock him down. The more our D can get to him and play Welker tight in coverage the better our chances.

I would add to that... get after Peyton. The patriots defense had a knack of getting to him. He would get the throw off, but they would hurry him and/or knock him down. The more our D can get to him and play Welker tight in coverage the better our chances.

I don't really have faith in Indy's front 7 to do that. Too much of their pressure has come from shutdown corner play forcing QB's to hold on to the ball longer than they want to, and Manning doesn't allow those sorts of things to happen. He's also tremendous against the blitz, so blitzing is just asking for trouble.