Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Flcacco on Peyton & Denver Response

bayone

Other comments start article, 1 on Ray Lewis, on   on His face on Denver stadium etc

On Peyton Manning

"Look at Peyton [Manning]," Flacco says. "He has guys on eggshells all the time. If they do the wrong thing, they're thinking, ‘S-, he's going to kill me.' And that works for him. But at the same time, I think it's tough to play in that environment. Sure, if you're not consistently putting in the effort, that's when I'm going to call you out. But if you're putting in a full effort and you do something that costs us the game, what the f- is yelling going to do? The game's over. Let's move on and get better."

That's what chirpin' chips do for you. You turn one of the luckiest (and misplayed) plays in NFL history into a good two-game run, win a title, get the payday, and finally after years find the balls to talk some trash. Kudos Joe, well done, nicely played--you have called out someone who's jock strap you're not qualified to sniff let alone carry.

Does Swagger translate to Elite?

This is like the "chicken v. egg" argument. For Joe Flacco, let's just say he's still in training. Here's some numbers for you:

Regular Season-Last two years

Chart

Looks more to me like throwback numbers from a tougher era of passing rather than the cozy confines of today's NFL where the QB isn't hit and his receivers are not touched. But I know--"He just wins right? 9-4 in the playoffs baby, ELITE!!!" well...

Great Playoff Chart game Log 

Then

What you'll notice is that in Joe's first 6 playoff victories, the Raven defense allowed just 9,10,14, 7, 13, and 9 points respectively. That comes out to 10.3 points per game folks. All Flacco and that offense had to do was score more than 10 points and they were guaranteed victory. Notice also that in 14 games, Flacco has failed to crack the 60% mark 10 times? How about gem against New England in 2009 where he completed 4 passes and won? I can say honestly that Flacco carried his weight in about half of his playoff games.

He may be on his way to becoming the superstar Ozzie Newsome minted him as, but he's not there yet. Not saying he can't get there or won't someday. All I'm saying is that until "Sloppy" Joe finds some consistency, his swagger will remind me of this:

swag_dance_medium.gif

By all means Joe, keep chirpin' (( from article not me ))

http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/9/4/4692314/joe-flacco-has-some-chirpin-chips

Wow, Joe really said that? I guess he is done with being "boring" old Joe Flacco. Those are some biting comments. I hope he brings his A game tomorrow night ...

Its not joes  game but a hurt Baily , no miller etc all helps Balt Offense and removes Harris from covering stockily that has worked with flaacco & rice to make underneath routes instead of using TE's that are missing

Breaking Down the Ravens, Dumervil's Presence , no time to do own post, am leaving

here is issue for Denver D , and then leaving, saw that above OP and had to  find  time at some point to post it, finally did

Stokley's late-summer arrival in Baltimore tweaks the dynamic, but it will be Dumervil who draws the focus, given the questions regarding whether the Broncos can mount a consistent pass rush without him and Miller. The relative lack of hurried throws in the preseason -- by my count, just 13 forced by players who are on the current 53-man Broncos roster -- offers evidence for concern

Broncos hope return of Wolfe and Ayers will help that issue

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Breaking-Down-the-Ravens-Dumervils-Presence/89cfd06e-b828-4ef9-a24a-85ce0141daab

Its not joes  game but a hurt Baily , no miller etc all helps Balt Offense and removes Harris from covering stockily that has worked with flaacco & rice to make underneath routes instead of using TE's that are missing

Breaking Down the Ravens, Dumervil's Presence , no time to do own post, am leaving

here is issue for Denver D , and then leaving, saw that above OP and had to  find  time at some point to post it, finally did

Stokley's late-summer arrival in Baltimore tweaks the dynamic, but it will be Dumervil who draws the focus, given the questions regarding whether the Broncos can mount a consistent pass rush without him and Miller. The relative lack of hurried throws in the preseason -- by my count, just 13 forced by players who are on the current 53-man Broncos roster -- offers evidence for concern

Broncos hope return of Wolfe and Ayers will help that issue

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Breaking-Down-the-Ravens-Dumervils-Presence/89cfd06e-b828-4ef9-a24a-85ce0141daab

So Bailey is not going to play? Last I heard he was questionable. There is no question that Denver's D is hurting big time and Joe seems to have some swag about him which I like but don't like the shot at Peyton especially since he is playing tmr night at his place.

So Bailey is not going to play? Last I heard he was questionable. There is no question that Denver's D is hurting big time and Joe seems to have some swag about him which I like but don't like the shot at Peyton especially since he is playing tmr night at his place.

Yes qy uestionable but still hasnt practiced, only stretched and then u risk bringing him in to fast,. getting hurt worse and the u r stuck longer,The Long  rest between this and next game will allow fulkl recovery, thats the decision they have to make

OK I AM< GONE MY FRIEND EVEN IF QUOTE ME BACK,. BYE

Joe is going to start getting more and more attention I think at this rate, Its a shame his play as whole cant/wont back it up, Flapping your gums about Peyton Joe? Seriously, come on man. pick on someone like Curtis Painter or someone like that

Did anyone see Joe comment on Johnny Manziel? Apparently Joe Flacco is now "too popular to comment on the situation, but Manziel is [his] favorite." haha Please, his average play is going to make the Ravens suffer. Boldin won't be there to bail him out.

On Johnny Manziel

"Being hated is not a bad thing. ... I don't know if I'll be too popular after (saying) this: I (didn't) know how I really felt about Johnny Manziel. But I feel like now that everybody hates him, he's quickly becoming my favorite player in college football."

YEAH 

flacco has a way with words, so elequent & u got to love his reasoning he usus to make up his mind about things, guess it depends on others and he hasnt his own mind

Wow, Joe really said that? I guess he is done with being "boring" old Joe Flacco. Those are some biting comments. I hope he brings his A game tomorrow night ...

Five Keys: Broncos vs. Ravens

2. CONTAIN RAY RICE.

Quite a bit goes into this: interior pressure to clog running lanes and force Rice outside, and solid tackling from the linebackers and defensive backs who come forward to respond to Rice's penchant for bouncing outside when a hole up the middle doesn't exist. The improved play of Kevin Vickerson andTerrance Knighton working together in the third preseason game offers hope that the two massive tackles can occupy space and build a wall up the middle, but the work at containing Rice when he bounces outside will pass to plenty of players without much experience: namely safety Duke Ihenacho and outside linebackers Nate Irving (strong side) and Danny Trevathan (weak side), whose career regular-season starts collectively total zero. Their readiness for newly expanded roles will help determine whether the Broncos can keep Rice in check.

3. DON'T LET TORREY SMITH GET A QUICK JUMP OFF THE SNAP.

The Ravens wide receiver has such a burst that if he can get a free release off the snap, he'll be upfield and beyond man-to-man coverage. Smith's acceleration led to a pair of touchdowns in January's playoff loss. Giving him a wide cushion isn't the answer; Atlanta did that in the preseason and got torched for a 77-yard touchdown, because a safety was slow to react and stumbled after Smith caught a slant.

With Champ Bailey out, how (( its now official ))  the Broncos deal with Smith will be worth watching. Will they assign eitherChris Harris or Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie to him, or will they keep their cornerbacks in their depth-chart assigned spots on the right and left side, respectively? If the latter proves to be the case, then Tony Carter, arguably the fastest cornerback on the Broncos' roster, will also bear some responsibility when he lines up in nickel packages. Carter has the straight-line speed to catch up to Smith, but whether he can contain the Ravens receiver will likely depend on his ability to turn and react off the snap.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Five-Keys-Broncos-vs-Ravens/049973bd-fa83-4d42-bf6e-b79e00f3fba8

Broncos need to chip him  & opposite fast WR at the line to slow or throw off their route, that they didnt do it at all last year

after    5 errands  &  3 just to assisted living 

anyway 1 more item to do but  its for me a good friend is taking me out for dinner to show me his new car as a reason he said ,  then I go to sleep and see wjhat the morrow brings

Goodnight

I would expect Torrey Smith to have a good game with Bailey out.

I am surprised at Flacco's comments this past week but maybe he is feeling his mojo a bit given he has the ring and the big contract. But I just never understood guys who criticize others to make themselves look good. Why bring up Peyton? You know I agree with Darelle Revis too saying that Sherman needs to stop talking about him and just show it on the field.

Jeez.....I can tell this is a Colts board. There IS some truth to what he says you know. Manning had a way of always staring down guys like it was always THEIR fault.  Who calls Manning out when he makes those mistakes in the post season? I'm a Manning fan but on the other hand I'm not wearing blinders either.

Jeez.....I can tell this is a Colts board. There IS some truth to what he says you know. Manning had a way of always staring down guys like it was always THEIR fault.  Who calls Manning out when he makes those mistakes in the post season? I'm a Manning fan but on the other hand I'm not wearing blinders either.

Their are some that recognize Mannings lack luster (Im being nice there) post season performances. The way Manning expected things to be done got him to be mentioned as one of if not the all time greatest QB's....Flacco could learn from his approach

On the field maybe because let's be honest it's your fault if you mess up, but at the same time Peyton was teaching players at the same time. He was only trying to make them better. Never has he thrown someone under the bus. So why would someone call him out? Ever team member knows Manning is harder on himself than anyone else. Even if he wasn't the faulting party. 

On the field maybe because let's be honest it's your fault if you mess up, but at the same time Peyton was teaching players at the same time. He was only trying to make them better. Never has he thrown someone under the bus. So why would someone call him out? Ever team member knows Manning is harder on himself than anyone else. Even if he wasn't the faulting party.

Untrue. He threw his entire o-line under the bus before.

I think you are right.  I think he's tough

Also true

But I don't think he was called out.  It was probably just an overly frank comment. Makes Joe look bad but honestly I don't think much about the comment.  Because I think it's true

Also true

But I don't think he was called out.  It was probably just an overly frank comment. Makes Joe look bad but honestly I don't think much about the comment.  Because I think it's true

I don't think the content of what he said was incorrect but more the context. He was talking about a QBs ability to lead a team and how he does it and comparing his style to Manning's and then criticizing Manning as if he is Mark Sanchez. However Manning leads it has worked now for 15 years with two different teams. What is even more ridiculous is that the Ravens were never Joe's team anyways, it was Lewis firing everyone up and the O, with the exception of the four game playoffs last year, went through Ray Rice and most are expecting him to see the rock a lot tonight.

Nothin wrong with that at all coming from Peyton Manning. Peyton speaks, ya listen, ya mess up and he calls ya out on it. Thats 1 of the things that makes him a great qb

& Saturday talked right back , in the end its all ok they both said and weren't just saying it, meant it

Peyton is harder on himself than anyone and even Denver coaches sometime come in & still surprised after a year of seeing him     to find him studying film or when all others gone he stays behind with film,  , Denver coaches have never seen someone working so hard & are so happy he is getting others into a study & working rhythm 

I read Denver staff thought last year it was Peyton just catching up as had to do rehab too, now all he does is work to get better , on sidelines on preseason there he was in rain practicing taking snaps in rain etc, saying u never know when u have to play in it so if the chance presents take it and practice

Its that attitude on himself that allows him y=to say what he wants as team knows he is striving to get all better and on same page and has pointed to himself at times to take v blame in a game 

its my Jewish New Year holiday started after darkness yesterday & today are main 1st 2 days that ends with most important day of  year a week from this Saturday , I may not be able to watch all of  season opener tonight do to religious reasons .One of few things mom remembers is this holiday and time with her is important for it, I want her inscribed in the book of life again for another year as we call it and it happens at this holidays end

That my morning rant, have a good day, Football is back, enjoy the season Go Colts & Peyton have a great year again

I don't think the content of what he said was incorrect but more the context. He was talking about a QBs ability to lead a team and how he does it and comparing his style to Manning's and then criticizing Manning as if he is Mark Sanchez. However Manning leads it has worked now for 15 years with two different teams. What is even more ridiculous is that the Ravens were never Joe's team anyways, it was Lewis firing everyone up and the O, with the exception of the four game playoffs last year, went through Ray Rice and most are expecting him to see the rock a lot tonight.

True

Sounds like Joe was smarting from being criticized himself.

But I do think he's correct.  Manning is tough and I don't think he's particularly friendly with many of his teammates.  I mean his wife gave birth to twins and the other guys on the team didn't even know they were expecting.

Anyway, it's not an uncommon leadership style

I don't feel outraged or anything over it.

Somebody has to explain Manning going 9 -11 in playoff games , why not Joe. He is 9 -4 as pointed out. I respect Peyton, but you have to wonder why the regular season success , and the playoff failures ? Maybe there isn't a loose playing atmosphere surrounding him. How else can you explain a quarterback of his caliber , having so many playoff debacles ? If you lose 11 out of 20 games, that is more than bad luck. You can argue or blast Flacco's stats compared to Manning out of anger , but do any of you have a better theory about why one of the greatest quarterbacks in history , stinks in the playoffs ? Don't react , answer the question !

Somebody has to explain Manning going 9 -11 in playoff games , why not Joe. He is 9 -4 as pointed out. I respect Peyton, but you have to wonder why the regular season success , and the playoff failures ? Maybe there isn't a loose playing atmosphere surrounding him. How else can you explain a quarterback of his caliber , having so many playoff debacles ? If you lose 11 out of 20 games, that is more than bad luck. You can argue or blast Flacco's stats compared to Manning out of anger , but do any of you have a better theory about why one of the greatest quarterbacks in history , stinks in the playoffs ? Don't react , answer the question !

Because Peyton wasn't gifted a great defense, and running game?

He had a good defense last year , and good running games in the past. He also had some decent defenses through the years that were as competent as the Ravens 17th ranked defense last year.

Outside of Freeney/Mathis and Bob Sanders( as rare as he was on the field) we never had any playmakers and with 2 undersized marginally talented DT's that we usually had we did not have much at all.......Besides....Ya know the rule......Run at Freeney. He cant stop it. Yeah we statistically had a couple instances where we were a middle of the pack D but they were either in street clothes or rendered useless just by running straight at them, Also if teams have 16 games of footage on ya throug the season and have good players that have played ya in the past then they will pick up on some of your tendecies (Just ask Ty Law) and ya will have to be able to have a running game because of that alone...After James went to Zona it was slim pickens. Then there is Manning himself who can put  a team on his back obviously but sooner or later hes going to make a mistake if he dont have some form of help but that goes for any QB.

Outside of Freeney/Mathis and Bob Sanders( as rare as he was on the field) we never had any playmakers and with 2 undersized marginally talented DT's that we usually had we did not have much at all.......Besides....Ya know the rule......Run at Freeney. He cant stop it. Yeah we statistically had a couple instances where we were a middle of the pack D but they were either in street clothes or rendered useless just by running straight at them, Also if teams have 16 games of footage on ya throug the season and have good players that have played ya in the past then they will pick up on some of your tendecies (Just ask Ty Law) and ya will have to be able to have a running game because of that alone...After James went to Zona it was slim pickens. Then there is Manning himself who can put  a team on his back obviously but sooner or later hes going to make a mistake if he dont have some form of help but that goes for any QB.

I do not understand all the blame heaped on the Indy defense during Manning's years. There were several playoff games where the defense did its job and held the opponent 20 points or less - 19-16 vs Tenn; 20-3 vs NE; 17-16 vs Jets. And how about the D holding the Ravens to just six points while Vinateri kicked five FGs?  IMO it has been more equal in terms of blame for all the losses between Manning not scoring enough and the D not doing its job. The Indy defense may have been smallish but Freeney, Matthis and Sanders were all big time play makers.

I do not understand all the blame heaped on the Indy defense during Manning's years. There were several playoff games where the defense did its job and held the opponent 20 points or less - 19-16 vs Tenn; 20-3 vs NE; 17-16 vs Jets. And how about the D holding the Ravens to just six points while Vinateri kicked five FGs?  IMO it has been more equal in terms of blame for all the losses between Manning not scoring enough and the D not doing its job. The Indy defense may have been smallish but Freeney, Matthis and Sanders were all big time play makers.

Oh there is equal blame to go around,  dont think that can be disputed but our defense with 2 small DT's  and 2 DE's who could have cared less about stopping the run was set up for failure (unintentionally set up of course). It was flawed, I hated that bend but dont break philosophy

Oh there is equal blame to go around,  dont think that can be disputed but our defense with 2 small DT's  and 2 DE's who could have cared less about stopping the run was set up for failure (unintentionally set up of course). It was flawed, I hated that bend but dont break philosophy

I think the D was built to play with the lead which Manning and the O often gave it. I would not say it was flawed given Freeney is one of the best DE I have ever seen play. I think with anything the FA/cap era does not allow you to build complete teams. So Polian focused more on Manning and the O to build the lead and the D to hold it. It produced the most wins only second to NE in the '00s so it was a pretty good forumla. The Pats built their team to be more defensive but the O was lacking. Brady was able to do enough and make the key plays to help the team win those bowls but they were all cose. Such is life in the cap era which is why I put Brady and Manning as 1 and 1a for the last decade with a big space beween #3. So hard to be so consistent and keep winning and now Mannng is doing it in a Denver with a team that is not that great IMO.

That's kind of a leap.  I don't think Joe was addressing that at all

He had a good defense last year , and good running games in the past. He also had some decent defenses through the years that were as competent as the Ravens 17th ranked defense last year.

And where did that defense go last year? And Edge was his last good RB, which is almost a decade away. Addai was a pass blocker, and benefited from being the unknown in his first two seasons.

I agree with maybe he does tense up in the playoffs, but I think anyone would when you've had the luck Peyton has had. Name another quarterback who had the lead in the final :40 of a game, and lost. Not just once, but on five separate occasions?

He knows it literally is all on him because more times than not everyone else has failed around him. Everyone likes to make the NFL a one man show when someone fails, but the moment that same person succeeds it was a great team effort.

Seemed to have slipped my memory. Do you remember when?

He's referring to the playoff loss in which - in response to questions at a press conference - he vaguely referred to "protection issues". Only people digging for any sign of weakness for their own entertainment (ie: media or Patriots fans) ever considered this worth talking about in the first place. It was hardly "throwing his entire o-line under the bus". That implies making excuses for your own lack of success by undeservedly sacrificing someone else. Acknowledging something that anyone watching the game already knew is hardly the act of a coward, and VL is only bringing it up to :stir:  - what a surprise.

Of course sometimes when people repeat things enough times they actually start to believe it themselves, so who knows.

Bayone - was your misspelling in the thread title a freudian slip?

I like Flacco and the Ravens and don't have big problem with his comments, but never-the-less I think that "Flcacco" should be his new nickname.

Well, maybe we could change the last letter to a different vowel. :D