Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts 53 Man roster (PS named on the 1st)

Gavin

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Football politics made a presence today...

Asante had a pick 6, a sack, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery this preseason, not to mention a monster game with 13 tackles against the Bengals. How Sergio Brown made it over him I have no clue, but that move really got on my nerves.

Nevis was our best pass rusher on the DL all preseason, he was great in dime package situations. I didn't even notice Ricardo Matthews this past month. Goes to show they are preferring their own picks over Pollian's despite a good performance.

I thought Ijanala was our best backup and could have played well with the 1st team if any tackles got injured. But the people upstairs never gave him a shot and are really focused on just cleaning up house.

Besides those 3 cuts, I really enjoyed this offseason and agree with the other 50 men on the roster. I'm just disappointed to see how determined the staff is to get rid of everyone from the 2011 team.

Asante had a pick 6, a sack, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery this preseason, not to mention a monster game with 13 tackles against the Bengals. How Sergio Brown made it over him I have no clue, but that move really got on my nerves.

Nevis was our best pass rusher on the DL all preseason, he was great in dime package situations. I didn't even notice Ricardo Matthews this past month. Goes to show they are preferring their own picks over Pollian's despite a good performance.

I thought Ijanala was our best backup and could have played well with the 1st team if any tackles got injured. But the people upstairs never gave him a shot and are really focused on just cleaning up house.

Besides those 3 cuts, I really enjoyed this offseason and agree with the other 50 men on the roster. I'm just disappointed to see how determined the staff is to get rid of everyone from the 2011 team.

Brown was kept to play special teams.  My guess is that it came down to Asante or Howell and in the Colts eyes they liked Howell more.  Lefeged and Brown have both been long known for being more of special teams guys which is something I brought up last night that the Colts were going to have a really hard choice to make at safety because it came down to what do you want more special teams guys as back ups who will probably play every game and have an impact on games or did you want guys who are back up safeties who might hurt you on special teams and might only see the field if someone get hurts.  The Colts went with two special teams guys and one true back up safety.  Frankly that's one more safety than I expected us to keep.

There is a reason why everyone who gets paid to cover the Colts has spent the past week telling the world Nevis didn't fit the Colts defense.  They didn't just make that up.  It was backed up when someone else pointed out Pagano said something about having to play a lot more 4-3 defense than they wanted too last year due to personal but really wanting to move to a more true 3/4 defense.  Phil B said the samething after the season last year so there might very well be true.  Also keep in mind Nevis was playing against other teams back ups and third stringers that's not the samething as playing other teams starters.  With that said I liked Nevis and I am sure he was one of the harder cuts the Colts had to make. 

Ijalana spent most of the pre-season as the back ups back ups.  If he had been our best back up tackle he would have been further up the depth chart.  Often times fans see what they want to see when it comes to players they like and frankly fans like Ijalana and who can blame them after everything he's gone through? 

Also if the team was truly determined to dump everyone form the 2011 team why was their first big moves be to re-sign Reggie Wayne and Robert Mathis and why keep Freeney at all last year?  They could have easily let them all  walk and we would have all just gone dang it stinks that they are gone but we are rebuilding so I understand.  They are determined to win games.  Also AV, McAfee, Mathis, Bethea, Lefeged, Link, Conner, Mathews, Angerer, Moala and Brown are still here form the 2011 team and all won roster spots over others that did not and in McAfee's case got the franchise tag this year to make sure he stayed here.  So I don't think they are trying to get ride of all the 2011 guys or else Brown, Moala, Mathews and Lefeged would have been cut today as well.  The fact is that 2011 team won two games so of course Grigson is going to make over the roster because it's clear they weren't very talented.  Had they been Bill Polian would still be here.  The sad truth is when you change coaches most of the time you change styles and sometimes old players like Nevis, who fit one sytem doesn't fit your new system.  Also the players on the 2011 team are now two years older and the fact is this is a league where it pays to be young. 

Brown was kept to play special teams.  My guess is that it came down to Asante or Howell and in the Colts eyes they liked Howell more.  Lefeged and Brown have both been long known for being more of special teams guys which is something I brought up last night that the Colts were going to have a really hard choice to make at safety because it came down to what do you want more special teams guys as back ups who will probably play every game and have an impact on games or did you want guys who are back up safeties who might hurt you on special teams and might only see the field if someone get hurts.  The Colts went with two special teams guys and one true back up safety.  Frankly that's one more safety than I expected us to keep.

There is a reason why everyone who gets paid to cover the Colts has spent the past week telling the world Nevis didn't fit the Colts defense.  They didn't just make that up.  It was backed up when someone else pointed out Pagano said something about having to play a lot more 4-3 defense than they wanted too last year due to personal but really wanting to move to a more true 3/4 defense.  Phil B said the samething after the season last year so there might very well be true.  Also keep in mind Nevis was playing against other teams back ups and third stringers that's not the samething as playing other teams starters.  With that said I liked Nevis and I am sure he was one of the harder cuts the Colts had to make. 

Ijalana spent most of the pre-season as the back ups back ups.  If he had been our best back up tackle he would have been further up the depth chart.  Often times fans see what they want to see when it comes to players they like and frankly fans like Ijalana and who can blame them after everything he's gone through? 

Also if the team was truly determined to dump everyone form the 2011 team why was their first big moves be to re-sign Reggie Wayne and Robert Mathis and why keep Freeney at all last year?  They could have easily let them all  walk and we would have all just gone dang it stinks that they are gone but we are rebuilding so I understand.  They are determined to win games.  Also AV, McAfee, Mathis, Bethea, Lefeged, Link, Conner, Mathews, Angerer, Moala and Brown are still here form the 2011 team and all won roster spots over others that did not and in McAfee's case got the franchise tag this year to make sure he stayed here.  So I don't think they are trying to get ride of all the 2011 guys or else Brown, Moala, Mathews and Lefeged would have been cut today as well.  The fact is that 2011 team won two games so of course Grigson is going to make over the roster because it's clear they weren't very talented.  Had they been Bill Polian would still be here.  The sad truth is when you change coaches most of the time you change styles and sometimes old players like Nevis, who fit one sytem doesn't fit your new system.  Also the players on the 2011 team are now two years older and the fact is this is a league where it pays to be young. 

Pagano ran a hybrid D in Baltimore so I dont buy the argument he is wanting to change to a strict 3-4, Howell was definitly more consistent then Asante, Asante was around the ball but more times then Howel he was late, got pinned down on the inside on a run play in other words could not get off blocks as consistently as Howell (Giants game)

Holy heck this 53 man roster surprised me. 

1.  The team must be confident in Hasselback to release Harnish and run only 2 QB's

2.  We actually kept Vaughn....Swanson and Price must have been HOOORRRRIIIIBLLLLEE (oh and Gordy too?)

3.  Who in the world is David Reed?  Was he that much better than Kelley, Palmer, and Sambrano...must have been

4.  Some of these releases and keeps must have been cause of some seriously bad depth in certain positions IMO.

1.  About Asante, the coaches doen't make their decisions based soley on the games, most weight is given to practice and if they play their assignments correctly... stats in the preseason are next to meaningless when it comes to evaluating a player.

2.  Your reasoning for picking Mathews over Nevis doesn't make sense since Polian is the one that brought in Mathews.

3.  Again, games are not the sole or even main evaluation tool of the coaches, so to claim he didn't get a shot because he didn't play much in the games is a bit ludicrous.  And you have to look at everything, yeah he played okay in the games but Link played okay as well and Link doesn't have the injury concerns of Ijanala.

There were some move that surprised me, but I'm not going to say it football politics, I form my opinions on about 10% of the information the coaches use to make their decisions.

Pagano ran a hybrid D in Baltimore so I dont buy the argument he is wanting to change to a strict 3-4, Howell was definitly more consistent then Asante, Asante was around the ball but more times then Howel he was late, got pinned down on the inside on a run play in other words could not get off blocks as consistently as Howell (Giants game)

You don't have to buy it, but when the coach says, and I am getting this from another poster on here, that we ran more 4/3 last year than he wanted too and had to because of personal and wants to get away from that and that was predicated by Phil B who said he talked Greg Manusky after the Ravens lost last year and said the exact samething I think there is something to it.  Keep in mind Pagano was not the Head Coach in Baltimore and was not the guy who put the defense in place in Baltimore.  He inherited a defense that was already working so he wasn't going to be able to change even if he wanted too.  It was kinda like when Clyde took over the offense from Tom Moore even if Clyde wanted to make major changes no way was Caldwell and Manning going to allow it.   So just because Baltimore did it doesn't mean we are going to do it the exact same way.  From the sounds of it it sounds like he prefers a little more true 3/4 defense at least right now.  You also have to factor Manusky in there as well.  If I remember correctly, and I might not, but he does like to run a true 3/4 defense so I think the Colts are moving in that direction and maybe it's Manusky that is driving it more than Pagano since Manusky is the one who has to draw up the plays. 

Holy heck this 53 man roster surprised me. 

1.  The team must be confident in Hasselback to release Harnish and run only 2 QB's

2.  We actually kept Vaughn....Swanson and Price must have been HOOORRRRIIIIBLLLLEE (oh and Gordy too?)

3.  Who in the world is David Reed?  Was he that much better than Kelley, Palmer, and Sambrano...must have been

4.  Some of these releases and keeps must have been cause of some seriously bad depth in certain positions IMO.

1.Harnish showed next to nothing this pre season, Could find a better 3rd stringer pretty easy if wanted to