Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DHB Kudos from Coach

CS Colts Fan

found on rotoworld... more good news

Colts coach Chuck Pagano believes Darrius Heyward-Bey's confidence is "skyrocketing" after a drop-prone start to camp.

Pagano praised DHB's "consistency," which has always been a problem for him. This is a contract season for Heyward-Bey, who signed a one-year, $2.5 million "prove-it" deal in the offseason. For now at least, Heyward-Bey is locked in as Andrew Luck's starting Z receiver, with Reggie Wayne at X and slot. T.Y. Hilton only plays in three-receiver sets, where he's been linin

I think another reason DHB is slotted in as the outside #2 receiver...is he is bigger...and can help block on run plays that the smaller Hilton could get banged up on. I have been completely happy with him and he seems willing to do whatever is necessary. I think people sometimes over-look those small things like your receivers blocking....I'm not saying Hilton can't..but its another thing to consider when we go only two wrs.

I think another reason DHB is slotted in as the outside #2 receiver...is he is bigger...and can help block on run plays that the smaller Hilton could get banged up on. I have been completely happy with him and he seems willing to do whatever is necessary. I think people sometimes over-look those small things like your receivers blocking....I'm not saying Hilton can't..but its another thing to consider when we go only two wrs.

Yeah, I agree. DHB can do as well as he wants to in this offense, he won't be short of opportunities, that is for sure.

Uh, Hilton Can`t.

I used to Love watching Michael Irvin block. It is a huge deal.

Hilton & Avery Blocked just like they caught when knowing they were about to be hit.

DHB will do very well there.

Pep has done a good thing giving him catchable stuff. He is a brut out there on short stuff.

And Reggies a great leader and role model.

Maybe DHB being with a winning team makes the difference as far as his working habits. His time with the Raiders were pretty low as far as being competitive as a team and that could have been a reason for his reputation for not working hard. Losing does put negativity into the picture. I have no doubts he is happy to be with the Colts and starting over with a chance to be on a winning team. 

Uh, Hilton Can`t.

I used to Love watching Michael Irvin block. It is a huge deal.

Hilton & Avery Blocked just like they caught when knowing they were about to be hit.

DHB will do very well there.

Pep has done a good thing giving him catchable stuff. He is a brut out there on short stuff.

And Reggies a great leader and role model.

Teams that try to take the short stuff from Heyward-Bey will get burned sooner or later.

Teams that try to take the short stuff from Heyward-Bey will get burned sooner or later.

Cleveland sure gave him space for those catches, and Andrew threw super quick rockets to him.

Tickled seeing that.

If he gets into them much as he is getting out for the long ball, they would be at great risk of going off balance, getting Smoked.

Ya we be gritting our teeth as the ball comes down to him, thats FB. Worth something just putting the fear in them.

Willie Gault???

And until then it's an easy 6-8 yard gain.  I'll take that on first down any day. 

Funny, all those peole talking about DHB being a bust are suddenly quiet now. 

Maybe DHB being with a winning team makes the difference as far as his working habits. His time with the Raiders were pretty low as far as being competitive as a team and that could have been a reason for his reputation for not working hard. Losing does put negativity into the picture. I have no doubts he is happy to be with the Colts and starting over with a chance to be on a winning team. 

I have heard nothing but good things on the Raiders' message boards about DHB's work ethic.  Sounds like he is a very humble, hard-working guy -- he just always played on terrible teams.

I have heard nothing but good things on the Raiders' message boards about DHB's work ethic. Sounds like he is a very humble, hard-working guy -- he just always played on terrible teams.

Yeah I was about to say the same thing in regards to DHBs work ethic. I've heard nothing but positive about him. He's always willing and wanting to get better. He's a good all around kid. I'm not sure where this other stuff is coming from.

I have heard nothing but good things on the Raiders' message boards about DHB's work ethic.  Sounds like he is a very humble, hard-working guy -- he just always played on terrible teams.

I was more going with the assumption of his ability to catch the football. That was in question but I have read some negative comments made about his 'dropsies' so to say. I think the jest of my comment was more a general observation. Maybe playing on a perennial loser team effected  his concentration. Now that he is on a winning team perhaps he is working harder of the mental part of the game. Having a mentor like Wayne and learning how to train and prepare for a game might be the difference.  The response from you was spot on as I should have been more specific. 

I was more going with the assumption of his ability to catch the football. That was in question but I have read some negative comments made about his 'dropsies' so to say. I think the jest of my comment was more a general observation. Maybe playing on a perennial loser team effected  his concentration. Now that he is on a winning team perhaps he is working harder of the mental part of the game. Having a mentor like Wayne and learning how to train and prepare for a game might be the difference.  The response from you was spot on as I should have been more specific. 

Winning or Losing aside, the guy has had like a zillion different QB's throwing to him & just as many different HC's & OC's...

so CONSISTENCY will be as important as anything for the kid...

Winning or Losing aside, the guy has had like a zillion different QB's throwing to him & just as many different HC's & OC's...

so CONSISTENCY will be as important as anything for the kid...

All to which was on the raiders. That is a train wreck of a team. Where ayers go to end their career. We have more if a high expectations, bud you up family orientated team.

I think you are right, his ability to catch the ball has been shaky.  It seems like he's been OK with that in preseason so far.  As others have noted, he has had a bunch of different (mostly sub-par) QBs and coaches in his short career.  The only QB that he has played with that I think you could argue being better than our back-up right now is Carson Palmer, though CP seemed a little shaky in OAK.  I also think that Al Davis really reached on DHB -- his physical attributes (size & speed) are pretty freakish, but he was very raw and untested coming out of Maryland.  I think he had a lot of pressure on him to perform as a #1 given that the Raiders are terrible and that he was drafted in the top 10. 

Coming to Indy, he will have consistency with his QB and coaches and hopefully will not be lost in the circus like he was in Oakland.  He now has Reggie, who I would argue is as good of a mentor as any active WR, and is surrounded by a lot of talent.  DHB will have pressure on him to perform (all professionals do), but I don't think he needs to feel like we need #1 type of production out of him.  Wayne, TY, Allen, Fleener will take a lot of pressure off him, which should allow for favorable match-ups and I think he will understand the importance of focusing on fundamentals (route-running, catching with his hands, etc.) in this offense, rather than trying to hit a homerun every time he steps on the field.

This is simply just a good environment for DHB to be in..

He gets to play with a rising star in Luck who can clearly give him the ball and give DHB a chance to make a play.

Pep utilizes him in a way to where we work in DHB's strengths in order to get him involved.

Heyward Bey is becoming more confident each week.

And who doesn't look up to Reggie and Pagano?