Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

And here's John Clayton on Luck/Colts in '13....

NewColtsFan

With Andrew coming in at 10th on Jaws' rankings, ESPN added a segment offering John Clayton's opinion of both Luck and the Colts this year...

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9475563&categoryid=2378529

His view squares I think with the vast majority of Colts' fans here....   Luck will put up better numbers in Pep Hamilton's system,  and while he's playing with a much better overall roster,  that doesn't always translate to more wins.

So, his prediction for the team is not quite yet a legit Super Bowl contender,  but clearly a playoff caliber team.

He thinks we're one more year,  one more FA period and draft away from being a legit SB contending team...   

And, I'm perfectly OK with that view of things.....

Clayton was on local radio 1070 a couple weeks ago and said basically the same.

But I honestly think this team can be really good.       IF they get a serious pass rush going.

All the "dangerous running" QB's are in the NFC...     The AFC is Brady, Manning, Rivers, Rothelisberger, Flacco.....    no real run threats.  

So...    I think if indy can get heat on these guys they may be a player.....      I know this team will score.  Question is can they shut the opponent down?

With Andrew coming in at 10th on Jaws' rankings, ESPN added a segment offering John Clayton's opinion of both Luck and the Colts this year...

His view squares I think with the vast majority of Colts' fans here....   Luck will put up better numbers in Pep Hamilton's system,  and while he's playing with a much better overall roster,  that doesn't always translate to more wins.

So, his prediction for the team is not quite yet a legit Super Bowl contender,  but clearly a playoff caliber team.

He thinks we're one more year,  one more FA period and draft away from being a legit SB contending team...   

I still think we are going to be better then even he thinks. What people don't understand this defense has a chance to be dominate. The offense is going to be pretty darn good to. 

Super Bowl would be lovely...    but I think this roster needs another year of upgrades on the D side.

JMO...       but I really do like this team as is.

Sounds good to me. As expected new players need time to gel with each other. But I also wouldn't be surprised if they gel quick and make the Super Bowl either.

I still think we are going to be better then even he thinks. What people don't understand this defense has a chance to be dominate. The offense is going to be pretty darn good to. 

Well.....

Forgive me,  but I may be among those who don't see this team with quite a dominating defense just yet.    I don't see enough pass rush or enough top quality play from our corner's and safety's....     Could it happen?     Sure.    I'm just not sure it's likely to happen this year.   Hope so,  but as of today, mid-July,  I don't see it...... yet.

As always in such cases,  I'd be thrilled to be wrong!

Well.....

Forgive me,  but I may be among those who don't see this team with quite a dominating defense just yet.    I don't see enough pass rush or enough top quality play from our corner's and safety's....     Could it happen?     Sure.    I'm just not sure it's likely to happen this year.   Hope so,  but as of today, mid-July,  I don't see it...... yet.

Disagree on the lack of talent throughout the backfield. Davis, Toler, Landry, Bethea could all be Pro-bowlers, but I however am still sceptic about the d-line and pass rush.

Need star quality talent additions at CB, SS and FS so players like Toler, Boyett, Butler and Bethea can be back-ups. Offensive and defensive lines need to develop the continuity that comes from game experience. Pressure from Worner and Mathis has to exceed results of last two years from rush unit and special teams need to rank in top ten statistically for Colts to be major player in battle for Super Bowl as we move forward. The best teams are all getting better and we can't afford to stand pat.

Need star quality talent additions at CB, SS and FS so players like Toler, Boyett, Butler and Bethea can be back-ups. Offensive and defensive lines need to develop the continuity that comes from game experience. Pressure from Worner and Mathis has to exceed results of last two years from rush unit and special teams need to rank in top ten statistically for Colts to be major player in battle for Super Bowl as we move forward. The best teams are all getting better and we can't afford to stand pat.

Build that defense from outside in....that's the way to do it!

we wouldn't be able to afford a secondary that had Bethea and Toler as backups.  Not unless they do away with the salary cap.

Disagree on the lack of talent throughout the backfield. Davis, Toler, Landry, Bethea could all be Pro-bowlers, but I however am still sceptic about the d-line and pass rush.

Is Werner signed yet? He and/or Walden I think are the determining factors when it comes to the defense. It also depends on if Toler can stay healthy as a first-time full-time starting DB. And having Landry in the secondary is definitely an upgrade when it comes to tackling.

Is Werner signed yet? He and/or Walden I think are the determining factors when it comes to the defense. It also depends on if Toler can stay healthy as a first-time full-time starting DB. And having Landry in the secondary is definitely an upgrade when it comes to tackling.

Nope, he is not signed yet. And I totally agree that the OLB opposite of Mathis is the key to the defense. However, I feel a lot more comfortable regarding the DBs than a rookie.

Nope, he is not signed yet. And I totally agree that the OLB opposite of Mathis is the key to the defense. However, I feel a lot more comfortable regarding the DBs than a rookie.

Yep. And we all know the better the pass rush the better the secondary play will be. Theoretically, anyway haha

Well.....

Was going to say basically the same thing. Way too many unknowns at this point. Half the D hasn't played together yet. We don't know if we have a pass rush, or if our safety's can play pass D. I know AB can, but he had an off year last season and players typically don't get faster as they get older.

Speaking of that - overall D speed is one of my big concerns. Like you, I'd be thrilled to find out all my concerns are answered. But we really have to give the D a few games to get to know each other, right?

We don't have alot of households names like defense like say the 49ers, Seahawks, Ravens, or Steelers.

But what we do have is SOLID, HUNGRY, & TALENTED player's who're willing to give 110% (except Vaughn) each and every week. The talent is there, but the chemistry & hunger have to come together. Have to play as a team and know one another like we've been playing together forever. This coming season history may be made as this could arguably be the most depth the Colts have had in quite some time if not all time. Gonna be a wild ride this season much like last season so sit back and enjoy every twist, turn, & hill Colts Fans!!

:yahoo:

:rantoff:

We don't have alot of households names like defense like say the 49ers, Seahawks, Ravens, or Steelers.

But what we do have is SOLID, HUNGRY, & TALENTED player's who're willing to give 110% (except Vaughn) each and every week. The talent is there, but the chemistry & hunger have to come together. Have to play as a team and know one another like we've been playing together forever. This coming season history may be made as this could arguably be the most depth the Colts have had in quite some time if not all time. Gonna be a wild ride this season much like last season so sit back and enjoy every twist, turn, & hill Colts Fans!!

:yahoo:

:rantoff:

I can't click like enough on this post. 

Clayton was on local radio 1070 a couple weeks ago and said basically the same.

But I honestly think this team can be really good.       IF they get a serious pass rush going.

All the "dangerous running" QB's are in the NFC...     The AFC is Brady, Manning, Rivers, Rothelisberger, Flacco.....    no real run threats.  

So...    I think if indy can get heat on these guys they may be a player.....      I know this team will score.  Question is can they shut the opponent down?

that was the issue last season, honestly! we could put up 20 points a game but the defense could not keep from giving up 20+ points them selves.