Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

we need someone else to carry the team

CR91

this has said for very long that if anything would peyton we would most likely win two games at best which is why we need to build this team to more then it just being all about peyton just in case "knock on wood" he gets hurt which is why i think the colts in a upgrade at rb like deangelo williams. now i am a supporter of addai, but there is no way you can tell me that addai can carry this team if peyton would ever go down. williams is a home run hitter and we seem how he carried the panthers in 08 and 09 and this wouldnt just be an insurance policy, but also another threat and dimension added to our offense and giving us a better chance of being the first team to ever host and play in a super bowl. of course all this depends on what money is left after signing peyton.

He didn't really carry the team last year, they finished near the bottom in nearly every offensive category. DeAngelo is good, but I don't think we need him. He will want too much money and he doesn't know our system. And a strong O-line can make an average RB look good, but take a good RB and put them behind a poor O-line and they look average. I don't think we need DeAngelo and we don't need someone else to carry the team, we are fine with Peyton.

Problem is, Addai is the everything back for us. Now I could understand you if you said get Bradshaw as he has good blocking ability. The thing is Addai rushed well in his first two season's. Addai hasn't gotten worse, but our o-line has. If Addai is wanting too much money and he won't take less then I say get Bradshaw. If our young o-line guys turn out well then I think that we can be dominant in both passing and rushing, if just to make play action a factor again. I think we should be focusing on DT, S, CB, and developing the NEW AND EXCITING o-line. Anyway, what's up with us always giving guys massive contracts and overpaying them? If we didn't do that so much, we wouldn't be having this Addai discussion in the first place.

this has said for very long that if anything would peyton we would most likely win two games at best which is why we need to build this team to more then it just being all about peyton just in case "knock on wood" he gets hurt which is why i think the colts in a upgrade at rb like deangelo williams. now i am a supporter of addai, but there is no way you can tell me that addai can carry this team if peyton would ever go down. williams is a home run hitter and we seem how he carried the panthers in 08 and 09 and this wouldnt just be an insurance policy, but also another threat and dimension added to our offense and giving us a better chance of being the first team to ever host and play in a super bowl. of course all this depends on what money is left after signing peyton.

I believe we addressed alot of needs in the draft I.E. Offensive Line Etc, so i think on the Offensive side of the ball we are ok. We need the most help on the Defensive side of the ball, i know you get tired of watching our defensive line get mauled game in and out by opposing teams run game.We need a game changing DT in the middle that would push us over the hump known as the Chargers and earlier playoff exits vs. Jets Etc.

We're going to see some changes with this team. IMO we're asking our backs to block way to much and thats why we're upgrading the o-line. The runningbacks only get one down to run the ball. The other 3 downs because we can't run the ball are used on passing. When we're able to run, you see Peyton throwning less which saves his arm. We have the backs we need already, we just need the blocking. If we're able to run the ball next year, I see no problem with us playing at home for the Superbowl. When this team runs the ball they're dangerous! 06-07 Superbowl, 09-10 playoffs, etc... If we get someone from free agency I hope it's a defensive player. One guy away from making a top 5 defense.

So how would Williams carry a team if Manning goes down and all of the sudden defenses do not have honor the pass?

You want to upgrade the RB, that is fine. But I fail to see the rationale behind your scenario above.

A running back can't carry a team. If Peyton goes down no running back is going to carry this team to the superbowl. Just too one dimensional. If you go back a few years and look at the top rushers you will see they don't really carry their teams to the superbowl. That is why QBs get paid much more and are the stars. Even if you pass every down the options off of one set are pretty good. You aren't just stopping the QB, you must stop the receivers too. And many short pass plays are essentially running plays.

Even if we look at great running backs like OJ Simpson, Barry Sanders, Walter Payton, or Jim Brown. I don't think you see a guy that will carry a team.

The colts dont need anyone to carry the team, its not that bad. You think the colts are so bad that they can only win two games out the whole season? c'mon man!!! lol. If peyton is unable to play that will force the colts to consider other options which i think would benefit them.

He didn't really carry the team last year, they finished near the bottom in nearly every offensive category. DeAngelo is good, but I don't think we need him. He will want too much money and he doesn't know our system. And a strong O-line can make an average RB look good, but take a good RB and put them behind a poor O-line and they look average. I don't think we need DeAngelo and we don't need someone else to carry the team, we are fine with Peyton.

21 superman is right. We don't really need deangelo, We need to work on the line Addai has alot of miles left in him. Lets look at emmitt smith when he was with the Cowboys. Smith wasn't a burner, he wasn't a game breaker, but what he had was a line that made holes that you could drive a convey thorough. That is what we need, Addai can carry the mail. And that way the pressure wouldn't be on peyton as much because teams wouldn't know which way it was to coming from. Is it the run or pass. Meaning wins EASY.

One. I would not mind seeing the Colts sign D. Williams. Whenever you can sign a 28 year old RB that has a 5.0 ypc average for his career, that seems like a good thing to me.

Two. I don't think Williams can carry the team.

Three. Just because a few people say something for a long period of time does not make it true. Saying the team could not win 3 games without Manning is an insult to a) the other 52 guys on the roster, the coaching staff, and player personnel department, not to mention it a huge slap in the face to; one of the best TEs in the game, multiple pro-bowl receiver, pro-bowl center, two pro-bowl DEs, an under-rated LB and a premiere FS, etc.

I know the old worn out argument that Manning makes them better, true but only to the same extent that they make Manning better which is the good and bad of a team sport.

Would say we are a .500 team w/out manning. Addais receiving and blocking make him valuable as well as his running. At the 5 yd line, the guy has an ability to get in. If your going to be a RB on this team, better know how to block and protect #18.

We just have to shore up the line. I think as Manning gets older and has more miles on him, I think we have to go towards a line that is going to be able to run the football as well as pass protect for Manning. Peyton isn't going to be here forever, and with a new qb coming in, and team that has it's C and 2 G's be run orientated will definitely make it easier on the team. And ball possession helps the defense stay off the field. Just my 2 cents, but I think it's a feasible plan.