Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

There ARE Great Teams, But No Great Coaches

King Colt

Ever wonder why it's easier than ever for teams to turn around?

It's because the talent gap really isn't that large between bad teams and playoff teams. Coaching is the difference. The talent level is not 100% equal of course, but the margin of victory usually comes down to 3 things: coaching, injuries, and the random breaks going your way. Of those 3, coaching is the only direct, controllable way to impact a game. The rest is just hoping the chips fall your way. 

Because of how much of football is just based on chance, in the short run, there will be aberrations where bad coaches will win or good coaches will lose. Theoretically, they would balance out in the long run, but patience isn't something that exists in the NFL anymore. 

Still, even if a coach can't always overcome losing based on chance or being at a talent disadvantage, I'd argue that coaches are more important now than ever in an era of talent parity (more or less) and roster turnover that's still sky-high. Finding a great one is still the best way to build a winner. 

Beautifully stated Hans Moleman... Bravo! 

Where is JSkinnz when we need him?

So, I'll say it.....

Oh, for the love of God!!       :facepalm:

I agree 100% that is completely unfounded to think that Coaches are not vital in creating Championship NFL teams, but I just prefer not to select a specific blogger by name & infer that they are notoriously foolish in their typical patterns of reasoning that's all. That's just me I guess. To each their own naturally. 

I agree 100% that is completely unfounded to think that Coaches are not vital in creating Championship NFL teams, but I just prefer not to select a specific blogger by name & infer that they are notoriously foolish in their typical patterns of reasoning that's all. That's just me I guess. To each their own naturally. 

What?    Huh?

Did you think I was insulting JSkinnz?     I sure hope not.    I was using his style of comment when he sees something that he thinks is ridiculous.     I wasn't insulting him.

And I didn't mention the name of the poster I was responding to.    I think it was pretty obvious who I was referring to and wasn't necessary for me to say so....   but, just to be clear, it was the OP, and not JSkinnz.

Hope that clarifies......

What?    Huh?

Did you think I was insulting JSkinnz?     I sure hope not.    I was using his style of comment when he sees something that he thinks is ridiculous.     I wasn't insulting him.

And I didn't mention the name of the poster I was responding to.    I think it was pretty obvious who I was referring to and wasn't necessary for me to say so....   but, just to be clear, it was the OP, and not JSkinnz.

Hope that clarifies......

Okay, if I misinterpreted what you said. I do apologize. Sorry NCF. I guess this phrase threw me off: "Where is JSkinnz when we need him?" To me, that wording conveyed the impression that JSkinnz said something that to put it kindly was foolish/unflattering. I won't lie. That was my initial reaction. Plus, I felt bad thinking that I had liked accidentally calling another blogger dumb. Clearly, I don't know JSkinnz journalistic tone & style that well.

"I think it was pretty obvious who I was referring to"...Obviously, I beg to differ with you on that crucial vantage point. It wasn't evident to me. Assume nothing. That tends to result in communication breakdowns in my experience. JMO.

Just had to clear the air NCF. My mistake in interpretation/intent not yours. Please accept my apology NCF. I meant no offense to you or your integrity in the slightest.  

Okay, if I misinterpreted what you said. I do apologize. Sorry NCF. I guess this phrase threw me off: "Where is JSkinnz when we need him?" To me, that wording conveyed the impression that JSkinnz said something that to put it kindly was foolish/unflattering. I won't lie. That was my initial reaction. Plus, I felt bad thinking that I had liked accidentally calling another blogger dumb. Clearly, I don't know JSkinnz journalistic tone & style that well.

"I think it was pretty obvious who I was referring to"...Obviously, I beg to differ with you on that crucial vantage point. It wasn't evident to me. Assume nothing. That tends to result in communication breakdowns in my experience. JMO.

Just had to clear the air NCF. My mistake in interpretation/intent not yours. Please accept my apology NCF. I meant no offense to you or your integrity in the slightest.  

To summarize my confusion more precisely, "Where is JSkinnz when you need him?....Oh for the love of God!!" followed by this symbol  :facepalm:  says to me, or creates the false impression, that Mr. JSkinnz routinely replies with outlandish statements. Keep in mind I am not well versed in every bloggers idiosyncrasies & nuances when communicating or writing online even if they are included in my forum friends list. I don't see why my connection of the dots, incorrect as it was, was so off base initially given what I just told you NCF. 

I hope that clarifies my perspective pal. Again, my apologies. Thank you. I guess I owe JSkinnz an apology too. Sorry...

Sometimes ascertaining a person's true intent online is easier said than done. 

"Where is JSkinnz when you need him? Should have been followed with thishaha or LOL IMO to eliminate ambiguity IMO.

Please,  do not apologize, SW....    absolutely no need to.   

We're good.

As to JSkinnz...  he's become a little famous for having a one sentence post when he sees something that he just can't believe someone wrote....

"Dear God"    with a     :facepalm:   right next to it....    it's almost a trademark for him.

When I see a post that hurts my eyes,  the first thing I do is look for JSkinnz to see if he's come along and done that....    if not, and if no one else has,   then I figure the coast is clear and I'll do it....

Hope that clarifies...

Again,  no need to apologize to me....   ever!    We're good!    Always!       :thmup:

except in the playoffs in Martys case

I'm not sure many coaches would have playoff success with Steve DeBerg, David Craig, Steve Bono, Elvis Grbac,etc.. Not to mention some bad luck Marty had in the postseason.

It's unfortunate that when Marty finally had a roster capable of playoff success, he was canned by the prickly AJ Smith...for Norv Turner no less.

ummm   what side of teh argument are U arguing for?   Because yiou just made a case for "good coaching" getting things DONE.

I was arguing that coaching matters, but the OP set up the premise of lousy players being made into World Champs.

No one can make a lousy team World Champs.  For example no team is going to win the super bowl or likely any games with me as their starting quarterback and it doesn't matter who the coach is.

But good coaches can make mediocre talent into above average, above average into good and good into great.  

But you can't make bad players great, no matter who you are.

Coaching, especially in the NFL, absolutely matters. We've seen it happen over and over again. Under-achieving team has a coaching change and comes out gangbusters the next season. A lot of it revolves around confidence and having a winning attitude. It happened here when Parcells took over back in the early 90s.

The talent gap in the NFL from team-to-team is almost immeasurably small in most cases. Obviously if you hold an elite team up to a basement-dwelling team you'll see it on paper, but two-tenths of a second on someone's 40 time can make the difference between being a first round pick and going in the fifth.

Of course, the greatest coach in the world cannot win with absolutely no good players. But there has never been an NFL roster on it that had ZERO good players.

THIS  ....

Coaching, especially in the NFL, absolutely matters. We've seen it happen over and over again. Under-achieving team has a coaching change and comes out gangbusters the next season. A lot of it revolves around confidence and having a winning attitude. It happened here when Parcells took over back in the early 90s.

The talent gap in the NFL from team-to-team is almost immeasurably small in most cases. Obviously if you hold an elite team up to a basement-dwelling team you'll see it on paper, but two-tenths of a second on someone's 40 time can make the difference between being a first round pick and going in the fifth.

Of course, the greatest coach in the world cannot win with absolutely no good players. But there has never been an NFL roster on it that had ZERO good players.

NFL football is the ultimate TEAM sport.    It really does take all 11 players on O and D playing HARD and playing SMART to win games.    Any team really is capable of it, but most never come close.   WHY?   The Coach.      He can either motivate or he will alienate.    

A really good QB helps...    heheh..

I was arguing that coaching matters, but the OP set up the premise of lousy players being made into World Champs.

No one can make a lousy team World Champs.  For example no team is going to win the super bowl or likely any games with me as their starting quarterback and it doesn't matter who the coach is.

But good coaches can make mediocre talent into above average, above average into good and good into great.  

But you can't make bad players great, no matter who you are.

How about the 1969 jets. Mediocre team with great coach weeb Eubank.

Joe Namath, Don Maynard, Matt Snell, Emerson Boozer, Babe Parelli, George Sauer and John Elliott were pretty good players. Weeb, what else did he win? What happened when Lombadi went to the Skins? What happened to Don Shula? We all agree both entities cannot last with out the other, but give me talent and you can have my coach. Remember the catastrophic Tampa Bay Bucs and old New Orleans Saints? How can any team stink for so many years?? To me is is the inabilty to bring in talent and to hold on to them after they sign and I don'tcare who the coach is.

A great coach will always give his team the best chance to win possible.

1) Coaches identify the strengths and weaknesses of each player, each unit (offense, defense and special teams) and sub-unit such as OL, WR, DB, LB, etc. and develop coaching and skills development strategies to maximize the potential and performance of all involved from day one of off-season practice through the final play of the season.

2) Coaches motivate every person involved with the team to prepare for success rather than to expect failure and to give their all from a mental and emotional level to ensure maximized performance. Coaches teach teams how to cope with success and failure and to neither rise too high or fall too low. Coaches prepare the team to adapt a need for sudden change by establishing a clear chain of command similar to the military. Mental preparedness can give the average team the capacity to outthink an opponent.

3) A great coach will also give his team the advantage of strategic preparation. Knowing the strengths and weaknesses of your opponent will permit the team/player to figure out approaches and strategies to improve your chance for success on a play by play basis. Likewise, the knowledge of the opponent's game tendencies will also help the team to anticipate play calling and probable options which may be likely to occur.

4) Finally, in a make or break situation in a game, a great coach can make a single call (like in Colt-Saint SB on 2nd half kick-off) which can totally change the game. 

Anyone who can't appreciate the value of a great coach has never experienced one which is a real shame.