Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could We Make Another Impact Trade.

Dark Superman

Last year our OL was ghetto-fixed, and the CB position had not really been addressed by the time we got to TC. This year: I don't see any position that has that kind of situation going on. The OT position is sitting there with only one experienced back-up (Jeff Linkenbach), so that would be the position of biggest need right now. Also, we're only sitting there with three "good" CBs, and one marginal guy who got good experience last year (Vaughn). These needs don't impress me after last year's piecing together of a roster. I do like Grigson's willingness to trade to add that last bit of depth, though. I'd be surprised if he doesn't make more trades before Game 1...

Like a wire hanger as a TV antenna. lmao

All of those that you are discussing trading are "relatively cheap." Look at the rooster w/salaries and consider the business decisions.

The only one they'll trade is the most expensive player on the rooster, who played out of position last year, and will again this year. I thought he would be traded during the draft.

I still think the Corner position needs to be looked at. Toler's 4 yr career he has only started a total of 15 games although one year he was out the whole season, but last season he started in only 2 games and played in 11 and were asking him to come in and start every game? but that is beside the point, point is after butler who do we really have that we could have step in if Toler,Davis, or butler go down?? nobody can trust vaughn. so i believe Cornerback is the area of need still. but i wouldnt make a trade and give up our 2nd rounder. I would wait to see who gets cut, and go from there. 

I'm in total agreement with this. We adrressed the CB need yes but depending on how these UFA work out I see us still thin at the position.Thing is I don't wanna give up draft picks to get anybody else though. I like Vontae Davis but he is another guy that was battling injuries. I would really like to see us address this need next year in the draft. I was really hoping we would land a guy like Rhodes, Banks, Slay, one of these guys coming into the 2013 draft but we didn't. I don't see us gaining anything by using a draft pick on a vet. We already gave up one pick next year to get a DT...we can't afford to keep losing draft picks.

No..

I never said it had to be a WR.. It was just a possibility.

Irsay had someone in mind and DHB was just a backup option.

If another trade scenario came up with an elite WR or another position of need.. Would you jump on it?

It could happen..

You don't know that. 

I knew this was going to happen almost from the moment Irsay sent that first tweet.  If the player didn't live up to the fans expectations they would try to play it off like Irsay didn't get his man and that the guy they got was a second option.

Look I'll admit I don't know if DHB was who Irsay was talking about from the start or not.  With that said, it wouldn't shock me if he was because this wouldn't be the first time Irsay got excited about getting someone that the fans panned as not that exciting. 

We're already missing our 4th next year. I dont wanna lose any more picks. We need younger players we can groom to be stars.

I second this.  I am not a fan of falling into the habit of trading away valuable draft picks.  It was bad enough dealing without a 2nd round pick this year.  We are a young team and we need picks to finish building and laying down a foundation of young guys that can sustain this budding monster going forward. 

Like the one we did before the season last year when we acquired Davis.

Possibly giving up another high draft pick to acquire an already proven talent who could step in immediately and make an impact.

Perhaps a stud WR this year..

I would be all for it.. Grigson and Irsay always see to be creative and loaded with ideas to improve our franchise as fast as possible..

Thoughts?

The thing with trades like this is finding a willing partner.  They would have to basically have a very good young player that hasn't worked out for them, but is good enough and has enough potential to make a difference on our team.  Someone we couldn't do better with for that position in the draft.  Trades like this are always a risk for the team giving up the pick.  I don't see it happening.

I still think the Corner position needs to be looked at. Toler's 4 yr career he has only started a total of 15 games although one year he was out the whole season, but last season he started in only 2 games and played in 11 and were asking him to come in and start every game? but that is beside the point, point is after butler who do we really have that we could have step in if Toler,Davis, or butler go down?? nobody can trust vaughn. so i believe Cornerback is the area of need still. but i wouldnt make a trade and give up our 2nd rounder. I would wait to see who gets cut, and go from there.

I agree 100%. Cornerback certainly is still a position of need and was hoping that we'd draft one this year. But, like you say, I wouldn't be willing to give up next year's draft picks in exchange for one because I believe in our current crop enough. Its not the best group but its certainly adequate. Even Vaughn! I'm think we can afford to give him another year in the dime to prove himself.