Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Top 3-4 Outside Linebackers

coltsfanatic24

I kind of stopped taking this report seriously after reading the summary of Walden:

"There were plenty of critics when the Colts signed Walden to a free-agent contract because of his struggles as a pass-rusher. But when asked to set the edge and stop the run, he’s a solid player with good strength on the corner."

They have him at a 6 out of 20 for run stopping, and a 14 of 30 for pass rush -- then they go on to say in their recap that he is solid versus the run but struggles in pass-rush.  6/20 = 30%, 14/30 = 47% -- doesn't make any sense to me.

So, Jerry Hughes is better than Robert Mathis?

Any little amount of respect I had for them is now gone. 

How the heck is that site affiliated with CNN?

Actually Jerry Hughes made more total plays on the ball then Mathis, Mathis did have more sacks of course but he also started more games:

Mathis:44 plays on the ball (33 combined tackles, 8 sacks, 2 pass defensed and 1 pick, one of them sacks forced a fumble)

Hughes:41 combined tackles, 4 sacks, 1 pass defensed, with quite a bit less snaps (46 plays on the ball)

Bleacher Report, sometimes they post smart stuff, other times, not so much.

I don't think this is accurate, switch Hughes and Mathis positions on the list, and take Freeney down a few positions. 

They did this completely on the notion of pass rushing, no matter what else the players can do.

Actually Jerry Hughes made more total plays on the ball then Mathis, Mathis did have more sacks of course but he also started more games:

Mathis:44 plays on the ball (33 combined tackles, 8 sacks, 2 pass defensed and 1 pick, one of them sacks forced a fumble)

Hughes:41 combined tackles, 4 sacks, 1 pass defensed, with quite a bit less snaps (46 plays on the ball)

Gavin, I hope you're not trying to say that Hughes played better than Mathis. 

Mathis had a much bigger impact than Hughes, and keep in mind that Mathis only played in 12 games, so they're snap numbers probably aren't that far off at all. 

Gavin, I hope you're not trying to say that Hughes played better than Mathis. 

Mathis had a much bigger impact than Hughes, and keep in mind that Mathis only played in 12 games, so they're snap numbers probably aren't that far off at all. 

your assuming he had a bigger impact based on what? Name? No Im not saying Hughes had the overall bigger impact but he did make more plays

your assuming he had a bigger impact based on what? Name? No Im not saying Hughes had the overall bigger impact but he did make more plays

No Gavin, not based on name, based on pressures, knockdowns, sacks and ability to get to the QB. He had more in 12 games. 

I also don't know where you're getting those "on the ball" numbers, but I wouldn't say Hughes did well because he was involved in a few tackles. 

I kind of stopped taking this report seriously after reading the summary of Walden:

"There were plenty of critics when the Colts signed Walden to a free-agent contract because of his struggles as a pass-rusher. But when asked to set the edge and stop the run, he’s a solid player with good strength on the corner."

They have him at a 6 out of 20 for run stopping, and a 14 of 30 for pass rush -- then they go on to say in their recap that he is solid versus the run but struggles in pass-rush. 6/20 = 30%, 14/30 = 47% -- doesn't make any sense to me.

Yeah, it makes perfect sense you know haha. He lacks in the pass rush department but possibly excels in the run stop department, thus rating him higher in the pass rush vs run stopping. This is ingenious.

No Gavin, not based on name, based on pressures, knockdowns, sacks and ability to get to the QB. He had more in 12 games. 

I also don't know where you're getting those "on the ball" numbers, but I wouldn't say Hughes did well because he was involved in a few tackles. 

I'd liek to see those pressure numbers and knockdowns

So, Jerry Hughes is better than Robert Mathis?

Any little amount of respect I had for them is now gone. 

How the heck is that site affiliated with CNN?

I think the article was accurate with the exception of Freeney they should have kept him as a 4-3 DE. Mathis is a better player then Hughes but Hughes is a much more efficient OLB.