Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pats sign Tommy Kelly?

John Dee

This franchise has lost it's way...      they could have Richard Seymour, someone they know,  or they can sign Tommy Kelly?

They choose Tommy Kelly.          wow.......    Kelly got paid by Oakland and QUIT.  

The Patriot way......     huh?   the list of failed reclamation projects is getting kinda long now.....

This franchise has lost it's way...      they could have Richard Seymour, someone they know,  or they can sign Tommy Kelly?

They choose Tommy Kelly.          wow.......    Kelly got paid by Oakland and QUIT.  

The Patriot way......     huh?   the list of failed reclamation projects is getting kinda long now.....

do you have a link?

At least they are not afraid to take a risk...Doesn't seem to be hurting them too much...Corey Dillon paid off...Moss helped them almost complete a perfect season.They at least take a look and if it doesn't work the guy never sees the field and is cut in a year...I am hopeful the Colts do the same with McClain, Harrison, or Woodson...Low risk 1 year contracts only though.

At least they are not afraid to take a risk...Doesn't seem to be hurting them too much...Corey Dillon paid off...Moss helped them almost complete a perfect season.They at least take a look and if it doesn't work the guy never sees the field and is cut in a year...I am hopeful the Colts do the same with McClain, Harrison, or Woodson...Low risk 1 year contracts only though.

Doesn't stop at Dillon and Moss...

Rodney Harrison, Mark Anderson, Andre Carter, Ted Washington, Roman Phifer, Brian Waters, Jr Seau...

He had a good 2010 season and an All-Pro production 2011 season, then sort of fell off the map last year in 2012. If he can regain any of his 2011 form, even if its only in situational passing downs and limiting his reps, this will prove to be a great signing. Realistically, all im expecting from him is a solid veteran that they can rotate in on the line to spell Wilfork and Love. If he provides anything more than solid veteran depth, I'll be happy.

I wanted them to go after Richard Seymour, and who knows maybe they will, but I'm glad they added some depth there, now they can wait till the later part of the draft to get a DL to develop. Id like to see them target a WR, SS, CB or G in the first 3 rounds.

I don't know if you've noticed, John, but Belichick seems to have a bit of a habit of bringing in a particularly risky player or two every offseason.  It's a win-win for him because either they play well for a year or two before going elsewhere or he can make an example of them and give them the axe for underperforming.

I wonder what that must feel like for Tom Kelly. To go from a pathetic & forgotten franchise like Oakland in it's current configuration & then suddenly land in NE a Playoff team & annual SB contender almost every single season. That's like being shot down romantically all your life & then like a flash of lightning you have gorgeous women tripping all over themselves to give you their phone numbers in order to date you. No, signing a contract with the Patriots doesn't guarantee SB success for Kelly that is true. However, it does put you on the NFL map now Tommy & you had better produce & excel at understanding situational football. 

You thought you were tested before Mr. Kelly in Oakland.  haha You just stepped up to the big leagues now son. It's time to go to work & be challenged like you have never been challenged mentally before. This where we separate resilient players from the below average, mediocre ones IMO.

NFL Graduate School is now in session & Professor Grey Hoodie is not an easy grader & his expectations are incredibly high. Have fun Tommy.  lmao

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000158319/article/tommy-kelly-new-england-patriots-agree-to-terms

I really cannot believe they would bring in Tommy Kelly and not Seymour...     

Unreal......   and just stupid.      Kelly is lazy, unmotivated, and .......    oh well NE's problem now..

No realistic shot at Seymour. He pretty much hates the Pats for trading him to Oakland. Plus he is old now and still about the money most likely.

I like the Kelly signing. Per the Patriot Way, they did not spend big on him and will ask him to play situational football. They need depth at DE and that is what he provides. Another thing to factor in is the fact that guys generally don't play hard in Oakland and I mean look at Moss' years there. Hard to get motivated for such a dysfunctional franchise. On the flip side, he is now in NE with guys like Wilfork and Mayo surrounding him. Hard to not imagine him giving a 100 percent from day one.

I think this is a good signing for the Pats.

Gives good depth and doesn't cost them a whole lot.

Seymour wouldn't go back to the team that cut him years ago when they figured he had nothing left and still had a decent outing in Oakland.

Very inaccurate post.

The Patriots didn't cut Seymour back they thought he had nothing left in the tank... They traded him to Oakland for a 1st round pick (that they then used to draft Jerod Mayo). Obviously no one thought he had nothing left in the tank if he was being dealt for a 1st round pick that ended up being in the top 10.

Belichick believes in getting rid of a player too early rather than too late. Welker fit this philosophy as well. It also comes down to knowing that you won't be able to keep them after the year is through, so you mine as well get something for him in trade before he leaves via FA, ala the Jets right now with Revis. They want to trade him now because they know for a fact they won't be able to keep him after the year is out and they'll get nothing but a compensatory pick for him.

Very inaccurate post.

The Patriots didn't cut Seymour back they thought he had nothing left in the tank... They traded him to Oakland for a 1st round pick (that they then used to draft Jerod Mayo). Obviously no one thought he had nothing left in the tank if he was being dealt for a 1st round pick that ended up being in the top 10.

Belichick believes in getting rid of a player too early rather than too late. Welker fit this philosophy as well. It also comes down to knowing that you won't be able to keep them after the year is through, so you mine as well get something for him in trade before he leaves via FA, ala the Jets right now with Revis. They want to trade him now because they know for a fact they won't be able to keep him after the year is out and they'll get nothing but a compensatory pick for him.

I agree with your assessment but the pick they got wasn't the one used on Mayo (who was drafted in '08).

The trade happened just before the '09 season started. The Patriots didn't get the Raiders' 2010 pick, but the 2011 pick instead (so a year after Seymour's first season in Oakland).

They used that pick on Nate Solder. So they traded a declining and very highly priced DE for a franchise LT.

Works for me...

Anyway, on topic. This is classic Belichick. If Kelly doesn't play well, or for whatever reason doesn't stick around, they'll cut him loose. No guarantee that, just because he's signed, he'll be on the roster in September. We've seen that time and time again with Belichick.

I think Seymour has gone on record saying he wouldn't play for the Pats.

And Richard Seymour is available?

He's an unrestricted FA. Apparently is asking for ridiculous money and taking his chances on some team getting desperate at some point in training camp (due to injuries, etc).

Doesn't stop at Dillon and Moss...

Rodney Harrison, Mark Anderson, Andre Carter, Ted Washington, Roman Phifer, Brian Waters, Jr Seau...

the OP said "The franchise has lost it's way".  By stating the names you just did, you prove his point.  No one is arguing that their gambles in the PAST didn't work out...   just pointed out that the gambles in the past few years have absolutely NOT worked out for the Pats.