Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

There's 11.4M Left in Cap Space

Andy

If we could restructure a contract of 2 we could get enough to get Andre Smith maybe..?

Not gonna happen.  Bengals still have tons of money left and they are focused on keeping their own, that's why they didn't make a big splash this FA even though they had the most cap space.  If Andre was to test the market, Bengals definitely have the money to resign him at any price and will resign him.

It's funny how everyone thought we overpaid for every single FA acquisition and didn't have any money left.  Now the numbers come out and everyone is hush mouth.

I agree.  It looks like some of the bigger ones (other than Cherilus) are structured to the Colts advantage.  Let us not get in salary cap purgatory again......Amen :)

I agree.  It looks like some of the bigger ones (other than Cherilus) are structured to the Colts advantage.  Let us not get in salary cap purgatory again......Amen :)

That's what EVERYONE was saying but everyone panicked.  I don't how many times people were saying the deals were structured to not harm us. 

That's what EVERYONE was saying but everyone panicked.  I don't how many times people were saying the deals were structured to not harm us. 

For someone who admittedly knew little about the salary cap when he started, Grigson seems to be at the top of the Bell Curve :)

A fiscally sound and well managed football team is a winning football team!  Lets hunt,   :pass:  :pass:  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:

That is correct, everyone except Cherilus and Landry can be cut before the 2014 season to increase cap space.  Most of them quite substantially.  Landry it's hard to tell because sportrac doesn't seem to have all his base numbers yet except for the first year his base is 4 million.  But I would guess he can be cut for cap space in 2015.  Cherilus can be cut in 2015 for a roster spot but the cap space would be null since it would equal the dead money we have in him.  He couldn't be cut for cap space though until 2016.

What a lot of the pundits never seemed to look at was that the Colt's inflated the guaranteed money numbers by guaranteeing the first year's base.  Which is meaningless because we wouldn't sign these guys just to cut them in camp.  

But a lot of those guys only have a million dollar signing bonus.  So this leaves the Colt's a lot of flexibility.  It forces every one of these players to go out there next year and prove that they are worth keeping on the roster because of how easily they are cut. 

I don't think people realize how important cap flexibility is.  And these deals except Cherilus and Landry are all very flexible next year.  

I thought you could be over the cap during the off-season? Then there was a certain date you had to get under it by?

Teams are required to be under the cap by the start of the league year. This year, that was March 12.

Technically, a team can never be over the cap. They have to make adjustments for the coming league year prior to the start of that year. So while a team might be projected to be over the cap going into the league year, it doesn't matter until that league year actually starts.

That is correct, everyone except Cherilus and Landry can be cut before the 2014 season to increase cap space.  Most of them quite substantially.  Landry it's hard to tell because sportrac doesn't seem to have all his base numbers yet except for the first year his base is 4 million.  But I would guess he can be cut for cap space in 2015.  Cherilus can be cut in 2015 for a roster spot but the cap space would be null since it would equal the dead money we have in him.  He couldn't be cut for cap space though until 2016.

What a lot of the pundits never seemed to look at was that the Colt's inflated the guaranteed money numbers by guaranteeing the first year's base.  Which is meaningless because we wouldn't sign these guys just to cut them in camp.  

But a lot of those guys only have a million dollar signing bonus.  So this leaves the Colt's a lot of flexibility.  It forces every one of these players to go out there next year and prove that they are worth keeping on the roster because of how easily they are cut. 

I don't think people realize how important cap flexibility is.  And these deals except Cherilus and Landry are all very flexible next year.  

Out of likes Valpo...good post!!!  Cap flexibility is crucial in today's NFL..... :thmup:

Teams are required to be under the cap by the start of the league year. This year, that was March 12.

Technically, a team can never be over the cap. They have to make adjustments for the coming league year prior to the start of that year. So while a team might be projected to be over the cap going into the league year, it doesn't matter until that league year actually starts.

Just building off this. The cap is what lead to the mess in Denver with Dumervil if people want a real world example of how the cap can impact the team.  The Broncos were in danager of going over the cap unless he got his deal reworked which would have resulted in the league releasing their most high paid players till they were under the cap.  So the Brocnos had to release him when they didn't get the deal turned in in time.

Ah, ok! Thanks for the info.

I heard somewhere that Dallas were projected to be over the cap. I know they gained some back by restructuring Romo's contract but what punishment would they face if they were over?

Ah, ok! Thanks for the info.

I heard somewhere that Dallas were over the cap. I know they gained some back by restructuring Romo's contract but that was very recent, were they over past the 12th?

Just out of interest, what's the punishment for being over?

They were under the cap before the 2013 league year began. Just slightly, according to some reports, but under nonetheless.

From what I understand, the penalty for being over the cap is at the discretion of the commissioner, including fines, forfeiture of draft picks, and forced compliance. The league can basically remove contracts from the team's payroll -- essentially releasing players -- until the team is under the cap. And of course, a team that's over the cap won't have any contracts approved by the league until they are under the cap. This never happens, by the way.

I think its quite clear no one really knows what we have left except Irsay and Grigson themselves, Im at the point of not trying to guess at it but just enjoy the feact that Grigson is so active it trying to make the team better even if I dont agree with all of the decisions, he is aggressive in his approach I LOVE that

I think its quite clear no one really knows what we have left except Irsay and Grigson themselves, Im at the point of not trying to guess at it but just enjoy the feact that Grigson is so active it trying to make the team better even if I dont agree with all of the decisions, he is aggressive in his approach I LOVE that

That might be true. I still haven't seen definitive numbers on Aubrayo Franklin's deal.

That might be true. I still haven't seen definitive numbers on Aubrayo Franklin's deal.

@mchappell51: #colts signed DT Aubrayo Franklin to 1 yr deal last week. $940,000 base, undetermined SB. Again, now is time for 1 year deals

Don't know if this is what your looking for. But this is all I can find on Franklin's deal

@mchappell51: #colts signed DT Aubrayo Franklin to 1 yr deal last week. $940,000 base, undetermined SB. Again, now is time for 1 year deals

Don't know if this is what your looking for. But this is all I can find on Franklin's deal

I saw that, but I saw another source say it was $890k. Not a big deal either way, but I'm still not sure which it is.

They were under the cap before the 2013 league year began. Just slightly, according to some reports, but under nonetheless.

From what I understand, the penalty for being over the cap is at the discretion of the commissioner, including fines, forfeiture of draft picks, and forced compliance. The league can basically remove contracts from the team's payroll -- essentially releasing players -- until the team is under the cap. And of course, a team that's over the cap won't have any contracts approved by the league until they are under the cap. This never happens, by the way.

Again, thanks for the info! Very helpful.

One last n00b question :P If the afformentioned scenario were to occur and a player's contract was forcefully terminated by the league, would that player be compensated in any way? It's almost like being made redundant by the sounds of it.

Again, thanks for the info! Very helpful.

One last n00b question :P If the afformentioned scenario were to occur and a player's contract was forcefully terminated by the league, would that player be compensated in any way? It's almost like being made redundant by the sounds of it.

I'm not sure. I think the player would receive whatever guaranteed amounts are due, and nothing else. But I'm sure the NFLPA would be filing grievances and doing whatever they could to overturn a decision like that.

I think the big thing to remember is that this has never happened, so far as I am aware of. Teams are always under the cap by the deadline.