Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Mock Draft 2.0

I made this this morning, so I wasn't able to get the 254th (7th round compensatory) pick in. 3.0 coming out in 1-2 weeks

2013 Colts Mock Draft 2.0

1st Round

Jonathan Hankins – Defensive Tackle – Ohio State

The Colts’ (arguably) biggest need now is the nose tackle spot. The incumbent right now is Brandon McKinney, and he’s a backup at best. He hasn’t proven that he deserves the starting job. The other guy at the position is Josh Chapman, who didn’t play one snap last year and his status is still up in the air. Point is, there is still a lot of uncertainty at the position. Jonathan Hankins is one of the top defensive tackles in the draft, and had a fantastic career at Ohio State. He was a run stopping machine, with a total of 121 tackles in the last 2 years, and had 19 tackles for loss. He combines his brute strength to command offensive guards and stuff the run with the quickness to penetrate and disrupt the opposing running backs. He is also one of the more talented players in this draft, even though it doesn’t show up on tape. He has a high ceiling, but he needs some motivation to reach it. The thing I like about him is that he is a 3 down lineman who played 60-70 snaps a game at Ohio State. That’s a lot for defensive tackles. He reminds me of a mix of Brandon Mebane and Randy Starks. 

3rd Round

Alvin Bailey – Offensive Guard – Arkansas

Even though the Colts signed Donald Thomas, they still have a big need at guard. Bailey is a very athletic guard, who is extremely good at getting to the 2nd level. He is best at run blocking. He still needs work at pass blocking, because he doesn’t have great balance and doesn’t block that well in space. However, he can take on a blitz and has the lateral agility to move well from side to side. The thing I really like about him is that he has experienced at both guard positions, which would make a transition to the NFL that much easier. He will be an improvement over Reitz, or McGlynn and should be the starting left guard, if drafted. He reminds me of Davin Joseph. 

4th Round

Chris Harper – Wide Receiver – Kansas State

The Colts lost Donnie Avery, and I’m not 100% sure that Lavon Brazill is ready to take over that #3 spot. Harper is a good athlete with great intangibles. He runs very solid routes and tracks the ball beautifully. He has the ability to start. He isn’t the fastest guy on the field, but his speed keeps improving. I think he would be a better option than Brazill and could start on the outside. That would put TY Hilton back in the slot, where, in my opinion, he is better suited. He has very solid hands, and has deep threat ability. He can do everything pretty well, including blocking, as he’s arguably the best blocking receiver in the draft. He reminds me of Michael Crabtree. 

6th Round 

Rontez Miles – Safety – California (PA)

Miles had a rough start to his college career (dismissed from Kent State and spent the next year working), but really turned it around the last 2 years Cal Pa. In his 3 years at Cal Pa, he stayed out of trouble and amassed 206 tackles, 9 interceptions, 15 pass breakups and 2 sacks. This shows that he could do everything. Now, why pick a safety when the Colts signed Laron Landry to a big deal and have Lefeged backing him up? Well, that’s because Antoine Bethea is not only a free agent next season, but this season, he really has nobody to back him up. Miles could serve as a good backup and potentially a future starter if everything goes well. Many scouts have described him as a real gem and stole the show at his pro day. Yes, he’s a D2 prospect but many non-D1 players have had a lot of success in the NFL. Cecil Shots and Pierre Garcon come to mind. He could be a real steal for the Colts. 

7th Round 

Rod Sweeting – Cornerback – Georgia Tech

Sweeting is a smart instinctive corner with the great ability of tracking the ball down the field. He has good length for the position, but he needs to add more muscle and bulk to his frame. He isn’t a great athlete as well. Here’s how I see it. You’re in the NFL; you have access to the best facilities in the world. He’s only going to get stronger and more athletic in the NFL, which is why he’s mediocre athleticsm and strength is not too big of a concern. He’s a guy that you should keep an eye on. 

Personally,   I'd never use a 1st for a Nose Tackle....   unless I thought that was the last piece to my Super Bowl puzzle AND there was a great one easily worthy of a 1st round pick in that draft.    Otherwise, not for me.    And that's not just about Hankins,  it's about all Nose Tackles.   Just not a believer in taking one that high.

I think good NT's can be found after the 1st round.

One other thought....   Hankins was listed all year at 335.    Interesting that he showed up at the Combine at 320.    I think most scouts have said he had a somewhat disappointing season, and he didn't have a great combine either despite losing weight...

So, I'm not sure what that says about him for right now...    and I'd be happier if we took him in the 2nd round. I think there's a chance he may fall out of the first...

As Nobody said, Hankins really isn't a true 34 NT. I know people have knocked him for his motor, but it seems most players his size get that knock...I really don't know if it's true or not. Hell scouts claimed Sam Montgomery had a non stop motor, but then he admitted to taking GAMES off.

As Nobody said, Hankins really isn't a true 34 NT. I know people have knocked him for his motor, but it seems most players his size get that knock...I really don't know if it's true or not. heck scouts claimed Sam Montgomery had a non stop motor, but then he admitted to taking GAMES off.

I saw that too about a month ago....  I think you maybe the first to post that here...   props to you...

At least he admitted it...   and, he said he took off the games against the weakest opponents...   the body-bag games.

His motor appeared to run hot and strong for all the Big SEC games...   and for me,  that's the important thing.   I don't think he cost his LSU team any wins...

In a round about way, I was actually kinda impressed that he admitted it.   Because NFL types will see it on the film.   At least he owns it....

And, for the record,  he's a possible Colts target for me if we trade down into the top of the 2nd round....

1) CB Desmond Trufant, WR Tavon Austin or DT Kawan Short

3) WR Ryan Swoop, FS Bacarri Rambo, LB Cory Lemonier

4) G Alvin Bailey

6) QB Sean Renfree

7) WR Brandon Kaufman

7) RB Rex Burkhead

Another offensive draft year with Alvin Bailey probably being our best draft pick outside our 24th selection in first round.

1) CB Desmond Trufant, WR Tavon Austin or DT Kawan Short

3) WR Ryan Swoop, FS Bacarri Rambo, LB Cory Lemonier

4) G Alvin Bailey

6) QB Sean Renfree

7) WR Brandon Kaufman

7) RB Rex Burkhead

Another offensive draft year with Alvin Bailey probably being our best draft pick outside our 24th selection in first round.

First, we just drafted a QB, and are about to sign Hasselbeck. Second, Austin would be an awful pick, we don need 2 TYs. Rambo is a huge reach in the third. It's Ryan Swope and I don't like that pick either.

Why we trust management to make final decisions. Colts can go different directions with their first two picks. Correct me if I am wrong but thought Tavon was highly compared to the likes of Reggie Wayne and if so IMO could see that as an option in round 1. Since we reloaded our DBs not really expecting us to go Trufant. At this point a DT with our first pick makes most logical scenario after our FA additions.

As for drafting Renfree I read he was coached by same person who coached both Mannings. Luck has been compared highly and strong family history with the Mannings only makes perfect sense to me to draft him. Hasselbeck wont be the long term answer as backup at his age.

Burkhead would be a nice change of pace back who has great receiving skills and enough power to move the chains.

Why we trust management to make final decisions. Colts can go different directions with their first two picks. Correct me if I am wrong but thought Tavon was highly compared to the likes of Reggie Wayne and if so IMO could see that as an option in round 1. Since we reloaded our DBs not really expecting us to go Trufant. At this point a DT with our first pick makes most logical scenario after our FA additions.

There is no way we'll pick Austin. He's tiny at only 5'8" 174lbs. We have 4 guys on the roster that are essentially just like Austin, only a little bigger. If we draft a WR in the 1st, it will be for a bigger receiver. We can not and will not fill out our entire WR corps. with slot receivers.

I'd be fine with a DE/DT hybrid guy early in the draft if he can play the run AND provide an interior pass rush.  I don't know if Hankins fits that bill or not because I didn't watch much of him.  However, I think a pass rushing OLB has to be brought in with one of our picks.