Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lost in FA buzz os this __Brian Westbrook experiencing memory loss at age 33 , he says its concussion related

bayone

I think it's odd how the article says he was one of the league's most dangerous returners and doesn't mention his RB playmaking abilities even though he spent a number of seasons making plays as the Eagles' RB.  As for the concussion/memory loss, it's a terrible situation.  I think it simply comes down to not knowing enough about concussions.  As more research is done on concussions and we understand it better, the league can take steps to prevent this from happening.  I also think a lot more research needs to be done on developing better helmets.

I think it's odd how the article says he was one of the league's most dangerous returners and doesn't mention his RB playmaking abilities even though he spent a number of seasons making plays as the Eagles' RB.  As for the concussion/memory loss, it's a terrible situation.  I think it simply comes down to not knowing enough about concussions.  As more research is done on concussions and we understand it better, the league can take steps to prevent this from happening.  I also think a lot more research needs to be done on developing better helmets.

RB abilities aside, whether or not  the memory loss is related to 2 consecutive concussions, the more players that had them , have some symptom and announce it , will only serve to further enhance the need for more research on concussions and their prevention and also on sideline evaluations, not to leave out proper post concussion care & preventive protective helmets

I may be mistaken but think new evaluation guidelines are going into effect this year, if so thats a good start, then those diagnostic procedures etc can be further refined

With you totally Quiz.....and we argue about the technologies available while Riddell is STILL the official helmet of the NFL..... 

Yep...I guess it's going to take more stories like this coming out before people finally start getting things together.

Memory loss at 33...and players want to get angry at Goodell for punishing dirty/headhunting hits...smh

Well that's the truly warped thing.

Players while playing: Quit fining for head shots. Quit ruining the game. We don't need more protection. Stop keeping us out because of concussions.

Players after playing: You didn't try to protect us enough. This game destroyed my body because you didn't stop us from playing injured. We're suing you.

Players while playing: Quit fining for head shots. Quit ruining the game. We don't need more protection. Stop keeping us out because of concussions.

Players after playing: You didn't try to protect us enough. This game destroyed my body because you didn't stop us from playing injured. We're suing you.

Players need to realize u cant have it both ways and there's life after football, esp the joyous times u want to spend with family & friends in a quality Manner

Research is pretty up there now, at least with getting hit in the head concussion or not. Conclusions on ALS or what was called Lou Gerig's disease have now proved a link to head hits.A couple years ago I think. So much so the study was sent to Italy who fires soccer balls at 60 MPH to the head and whom players have had problems.

Gives me the feeling that I am one of those in the crowd egging on gladiators at the Coliseum while they smash into each other in the name of entertainment for us and the kings/owners, and are rewarded. Some pay with their health in the long term unfortunately.

Football, to me, is a gladiator sport at some level. :)

This may seem absolutely insane but this idea was discussed a bit on talk radio earlier today and I found it to be a rather interesting topic.

It was argued that concussions may actually be reduced by switching away from helmets entirely and going back to leather helmets. While we all can agree this will probably never happen, it is a rather interesting concept. No one would ever want to lead with their helmet ever again because it is no longer a "weapon", it is simply now their head.

Of course this idea comes with many new dangers.

Players need to realize u cant have it both ways and there's life after football, esp the joyous times u want to spend with family & friends in a quality Manner

I agree with both of you guys....

And I keep waiting for the steroid, HGH and PED impact to be HONESTLY revealed in the concussion matter....but the player's union is and always has been very resistant to the mere mention of it.

Between nutritional and strength training advances over the last couple decades...these guys are engineered well enough as it is to where they administer some nasty damage to each other and themselves, without needing those "extra advantages" that are probably more prevalent than anyone wants to admit.

IMO....no legal settlement in the concussion issue will be fair unless players take some accountability for the additional, artificially gained  ramp-up of speed and strength we've seen in the last 20 years or more. Because some measure of it had to increase the impact and the very damage they're complaining about.

It's probably a pipe dream....but I would think that getting them all on the same CLEAN and level playing field will help concussion prevention yield better success in the future.

I agree with both of you guys....

And I keep waiting for the steroid, HGH and PED impact to be HONESTLY revealed in the concussion matter....but the player's union is and always has been very resistant to the mere mention of it.

Between nutritional and strength training advances over the last couple decades...these guys are engineered well enough as it is to where they administer some nasty damage to each other and themselves, without needing those "extra advantages" that are probably more prevalent than anyone wants to admit.

IMO....no legal settlement in the concussion issue will be fair unless players take some accountability for the additional, artificially gained  ramp-up of speed and strength we've seen in the last 20 years or more. Because some measure of it had to increase the impact and the very damage they're complaining about.

It's probably a pipe dream....but I would think that getting them all on the same CLEAN and level playing field will help concussion prevention yield better success in the future.

Whatever the players do.....Just say NO to ANYTHING associated with the village *.......AKA Bill Romanowski!  Mre health and 'awareness.'   :spit: