Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Blocking FB

hoosierhawk

Will we try to pick up a blocking fullback if we plan on a power running game?

Combine takeaways: Indianapolis Colts

'Hamilton will emphasize the run more than Arians did. But the Colts don’t yet know if they’ll use a tight end when they have a play that calls for a lead blocker or if they’ll have a more traditional fullback. “We’ll do our evaluations here, study everybody that’s here and then, at the end of the day, if there is a traditional fullback type body out there that fits what we’re doing, fits the system and everything else, then we’ll make a move on him,” Pagano said.'

Too ensure that correct mismatches are available, I think Allen as a TE/FB hybrid is the answer, as the Pats sometimes do with Hernandez. It means the defense does not get the chance to get the appropriate personnel on the field when the TE lines up at FB. When you start subbing TE's for FB's, its gives the opposition a chance to make their subs as well.

Too ensure that correct mismatches are available, I think Allen as a TE/FB hybrid is the answer, as the Pats sometimes do with Hernandez. It means the defense does not get the chance to get the appropriate personnel on the field when the TE lines up at FB. When you start subbing TE's for FB's, its gives the opposition a chance to make their subs as well.

I am a big fan of the 2 TE set when one (or both) is versatile enough to line up at FB, TE or in the slot. If both can play in the slot, the offense can go from an I formation to a 4 wide look (or other alignments) or vice versa without subbing.

I am a big fan of the 2 TE set when one (or both) is versatile enough to line up at FB, TE or in the slot. If both can play in the slot, the offense can go from an I formation to a 4 wide look (or other alignments) or vice versa without subbing.

Exactly!

Hence the infinite mismatches it can create.

49ers did that with Vernon Davis at times too