Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Don't Count Out Darrelle Revis!

(Another bone for the Cornerbackites)

Nothing to link to or any breaking news but Grigson has made it clear that he is willing to make any move that will improve this roster. I do not like the notion of trading future draft pick(s) for a guy coming off of a knee injury...who will become an Unrestricted Free Agent next year, but Grigson wouldn't be doing his due dilligence if he did not inquire about Revis.

The deep market at the CB position should mean that Revis and his Agent(s) will have to grasp the concept that most teams are just not willing to shell out $12 mill a year for ANY CB (although he is quite affordable this year at $3 million salary, $3 million in bonuses). At least not this offseason. So there is always the possibility that Revis would be willing to begin negotiations on a long term deal (remember he is still in his prime). AND the fact that his Agent wants to get something done quickly i.e. before tomorrow may give teams some leverage.

The issue for us would be three-fold...

A. We'd have to be able to talk with Revis' agent(s) before a deal would be made with the Jets (in order to get an idea of what he is looking for going forward).

B. We'd have to be able to perform a physical with our own people.

C. It would have to be a wam-bam-thank you maa'am process. Because with all of the moves on Grigson's plate, he is not going to let Revis be a distraction.

Because the Jets seem to be lost, I doubt any of this gets done. But if it were to, we may well be done talking about CBs (finally).

Revis' situation is simply way too complicated injury-wise and economically....and there are plenty of other options for CBs with our cap space.

The Jets are clearly done with Revis and should just trade him to Philadelphia for Nick Foles and a 2nd and 4th round draft pick and be done with it.

Last I read, the Jets new GM is prohibiting Revis' agent from talking to other teams about contracts.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl---sources--jets--lack-of-cooperation-with-darrelle-revis--agents-hurting-trade-talks-005057591.html

I hope we don't go after him. No team needs a 100 million dollar CB.

Wont make that kinda money here in my opinion

Revis' situation is simply way too complicated injury-wise and economically....and there are plenty of other options for CBs with our cap space.

The Jets are clearly done with Revis and should just trade him to Philadelphia for Nick Foles and a 2nd and 4th round draft pick and be done with it.

Be mindful; you can make the trade contingent upon Revis passing our physical AND signing a new contract. That gives you time to sort out the unknowns.

Be mindful; you can make the trade contingent upon Revis passing our physical AND signing a new contract. That gives you time to sort out the unknowns.

I think it's in Revis' nature to have his ego stroked and to him that means being paid like the best player in the game.

I think any GM willing to give picks to a guy who tore his knee the season before, who is in his last year of his contract is not thinking correctly. Just wait it out have 8 weeks into the season to see if that person is worth it.

Ehhh, maybe in 1985. But science & technology today are in a place where you can know where a guy is injury-wise. Plus like I said earlier, you can make anything contigent upon passing a physical AND signing a new deal. 

Not saying it is gonna happen but you really cannot dismiss it out of hand.

Ehhh, maybe in 1985. But science & technology today are in a place where you can know where a guy is injury-wise. Plus like I said earlier, you can make anything contigent upon passing a physical AND signing a new deal. 

True but  my point is as long as a long term deal is not reach between Revis and NYJ... he will be on the block half the season. I would not make a move until i saw him play in a game. I myself think Revis will be fine coming off this injury and would love to get him on our roster. but to rent him for his knee testing year, only to more than likely lose him to who ever has the cap space the next season i would have to pass.

Revis' best option is to stay in NYC, show out this season and EARN another sizable contract.

The Jets best option is to keep him and negotate a longterm contract.

Man, the Jets braintrust could screw up a cup of coffee.

You're probably right but I'm pretty sure new GM John Idzek wants to start his tenure by breaking clean from Revis.

Both sides sound like they're sick of each others saber-rattling. It's weird seeing that Revis' biggest fan and team loudmouth, Rex Ryan....who's skating on thin ice now as well....has been eerily silent.

But if the Eagles really are interested in Revis the Jets oughta try and get Foles and a couple draft picks for him. Foles has no fit whatsoever in a Chip Kelly offense, he makes next to nothing as a 3rd round pick, and he gives the Jets at least a shot at a low cost QB option to transition out of the Mark Sanchez fiasco with.

And the draft picks could help them replace some of the players they just blew out because of their salary cap mess.

If Grigson and Pagano were able to see him in action and if he's back to 100% or even 90%, he's worth the 1st round pick. He's better than any player we could get at 24. The only issue is his price tag. Unfortunately having the best DB in the league means you also have to pay him like the best DB in the league. We have a few years before our rookies are up for 2nd contracts so if there were ever a time to grab a player of his caliber, it's right now.

I think any GM willing to give picks to a guy who tore his knee the season before, who is in his last year of his contract is not thinking correctly. Just wait it out have 8 weeks into the season to see if that person is worth it.

You had to have seen the Polian /Parcells free agency special yesterday.

Did you by chance see the EPSN special yesterday with Polian & Parcells? It was really well-done and showed how real football people think about a situation like Revis'. Polian's exact point is he would not touch Revis until the trade deadline when you have had the chance to see if he is truly back from his knee injury. You talk about passing a physical. I would absolutely contend that passing a physical is a long, long ways from being able to play at the level you are used to.

And then Parcells talked about where valued positions are on a team and that the type of investment required for Revis would make him cost-prohibitive to say nothinng of his health.

Did you by chance see the EPSN special yesterday with Polian & Parcells? It was really well-done and showed how real football people think about a situation like Revis'. Polian's exact point is he would not touch Revis until the trade deadline when you have had the chance to see if he is truly back from his knee injury. You talk about passing a physical. I would absolutely contend that passing a physical is a long, long ways from being able to play at the level you are used to.

And then Parcells talked about where valued positions are on a team and that the type of investment required for Revis would make him cost-prohibitive to say nothinng of his health.

Yeah I saw that. And they (espn) went to him (Polian) again today on Darrelle Revis. Where he said some more on it.

And I appreciate his perspective. But his isn't God's (implying the be all end all). And let's keep it real. Revis did not have to reattach his leg. He had what has become routine; a patellar-tendon graft (ACL surgery). He is on the schedule established by trainers to return. He's running on the treadmill and even performing some change of direction drills. And with the exception of getting his bell rung, he has a clean injury history, with no significant setbacks in the pros or college.

So, if you're willing to give up a 2nd round selection and make a trade contingent on both a physical (code for let my doctor's go over him and his records with a fine toothed comb) and a new contract being signed (just like Percy Harvin's & Seattle) you really aren't risking that much exposure. And you're reward is probably getting the best CB in the league AND being able to get him to sign a new contract under favorable circumstances.

It is possible. We gave a up a 2 for Vontae Davis, and drafted a kid who we knew probably wasnt going to be there for the season in Chapman. So there is nothing in Grigson screaming he would not do it. Not at all saying it WILL happen. Just saying don't dismiss it. :)

Yeah I saw that. And they (espn) went to him (Polian) again today on Darrelle Revis. Where he said some more on it.

And I appreciate his perspective. But his isn't God's (implying the be all end all). And let's keep it real. Revis did not have to reattach his leg. He had what has become routine; a patellar-tendon graft (ACL surgery). He is on the schedule established by trainers to return. He's running on the treadmill and even performing some change of direction drills. And with the exception of getting his bell rung, he has a clean injury history, with no significant setbacks in the pros or college.

So, if you're willing to give up a 2nd round selection and make a trade contingent on both a physical (code for let my doctor's go over him and his records with a fine toothed comb) and a new contract being signed (just like Percy Harvin's & Seattle) you really aren't risking that much exposure. And you're reward is probably getting the best CB in the league AND being able to get him to sign a new contract under favorable circumstances.

It is possible. We gave a up a 2 for Vontae Davis, and drafted a kid who we knew probably wasnt going to be there for the season in Chapman. So there is nothing in Grigson screaming he would not do it. Not at all saying it WILL happen. Just saying don't dismiss it. :)

Fully appreciate the thoughtful response but as to your last line, I am going to dismiss it. There is way too much up in the air about the guy and his demands.

There is way too much up in the air about the guy and his demands.

?

And that is what the contingencies (in the deal) are for. Once you pull the trigger, you find out EXACTLY where he is both physically and fiscally. And if there is anything that you do not like, you pull the plug (you can flunk a guy's physical on anything), he goes back to NYC and your 2 comes back to you.

I mean, what am I missing...isn't that a can't lose scenario?

Heard on Mike and Mike this morning from John Clayton that John Elway might pull an Elvis Dumervil and draft pick trade for Darelle Revis.

Elway took a chance on a QB coming off 4 surgeries, so I can see him taking a chance on Darelle Revis, and then turn around and sign Freeney for a couple of years to replace Dumervil.

Heard on Mike and Mike this morning from John Clayton that John Elway might pull an Elvis Dumervil and draft pick trade for Darelle Revis.

Elway took a chance on a QB coming off 4 surgeries, so I can see him taking a chance on Darelle Revis, and then turn around and sign Freeney for a couple of years to replace Dumervil.

I get the win now mentality, but if they get rid of Dumervil for Freeney, then bring in Revis and his ridiculous contract demands that franchise could be a mess in a couple of years.

?

And that is what the contingencies (in the deal) are for. Once you pull the trigger, you find out EXACTLY where he is both physically and fiscally. And if there is anything that you do not like, you pull the plug (you can flunk a guy's physical on anything), he goes back to NYC and your 2 comes back to you.

I mean, what am I missing...isn't that a can't lose scenario?

That's the thing Polian was addressing though Brian....on top of the injury itself is the time involved in getting clarity on it. And on top of THAT he is unable to be franchise tagged due to the language in his contract...so stretching out his rehab time and tagging him for one year, if necessary, is not an option.

Every team dreams of having a guy who shuts down 1/2 of the field, but Revis appears unwilling to reduce ANY risk to whoever he plays for and his career was probably at its apex when the ACL happened.

I get the win now mentality, but if they get rid of Dumervil for Freeney, then bring in Revis and his ridiculous contract demands that franchise could be a mess in a couple of years.

I think so too, draft a young CB and let their young DBs in Harris and Carter develop. Their best bet is to just bring in Freeney in addition to Dumervil with a restructure of Dumervil's contract so that their pass rushers have fresher legs. Freeney is a 50% of the snaps guy nowadays anyways, so that seems like a better plan.

I am certain Austin Collie would be a training camp time addition as well. Besides, their zone play in the secondary fits more CBs in the market like a Captain Munnerlyn who would be a value get and more efficient with a good pass rush that they have.

That's the thing Polian was addressing though Brian....on top of the injury itself is the time involved in getting clarity on it. And on top of THAT he is unable to be franchise tagged due to the language in his contract...so stretching out his rehab time and tagging him for one year, if necessary, is not an option.

I don't want to come off as attaching myself to the idea. But I do want to address the points made:

No, no, no, no, no. That's not what I'm addressing. We've already gotten past that.

A. The only reason to suspect that he will not return 100% is if there is something wrong with his rehab (and knowing that is a contingency to the whole deal). If there is anything wrong with his rehab we will know about it quickly. So for me, the injury isn't as nebulous as Polian would imply. Again, he had what has become routine; a patellar-tendon graft (ACL surgery). He is on the schedule established by trainers to return. He's running on the treadmill and even performing some change of direction drills. And with the exception of getting his bell rung, he has a clean injury history, with no significant setbacks in the pros or college.

B. Nobody is concerned with the franchise tag. That is the Jets' hangmen's noose, not ours. Our (imaginary trade) includes a contingency that we get a NEW deal done with Revis. Thereby eliminating any of the crap he brings with him from his contract with the Jets.

C. And addressing part of what I believe is your assumption regarding long term rehab: big deal. If he takes half the season to return, cool. Supposing we've already worked out a long term contract and that there are no major concerns regarding his knee (which we would find out in short order and as a contingency of the trade), let him take his time (just like Chapman). And when he is ready to roll, let's do it.

See what I'm saying?

I don't want to come off as attaching myself to the idea. But I do want to address the points made:

No, no, no, no, no. That's not what I'm addressing. We've already gotten past that.

A. The only reason to suspect that he will not return 100% is if there is something wrong with his rehab (and knowing that is a contingency to the whole deal). If there is anything wrong with his rehab we will know about it quickly. So for me, the injury isn't as nebulous as Polian would imply. Again, he had what has become routine; a patellar-tendon graft (ACL surgery). He is on the schedule established by trainers to return. He's running on the treadmill and even performing some change of direction drills. And with the exception of getting his bell rung, he has a clean injury history, with no significant setbacks in the pros or college.

B. Nobody is concerned with the franchise tag. That is the Jets hangmen's noose. Our (imaginary trade) includes a contingency that we get a NEW deal done with Revis. Thereby eliminating any of the crap he brings with him from his contract with the Jets.

C. And addressing part of what I believe is your assumption regarding long term rehab: big deal. If he takes half the season to return, cool. Supposing we've already worked out a long term contract and that there are no major concerns regarding his knee (which we would find out in short order and as a contingency of the trade), let him take his time (just like Chapman). And when he is ready to roll, let's do it.

See what I'm saying?

I understand what you're saying...and it makes perfect sense to protect ourselves that way.

It's just that we've never seen Revis do business like that. I'd love to think he and his agent "see the light" and understand what Grigson's risk concerns would be and give a little on those stipulations you noted....but if teams like Philadelphia and Denver are truly pursuing him then it creates the demand for his services that make it unlikely he'll do anything but continue a HUGE cash grab. And if one or two other teams join the sweepstakes for him it would drive the Jets asking price up as well.

Again....who wouldn't want a top-notch Revis in their secondary? I'd love to have him....but I just don't think the circumstances line up well for us. :)

"....but if teams like Philadelphia and Denver are truly pursuing him then it creates the demand for his services that make it unlikely he'll do anything but continue a HUGE cash grab. And if one or two other teams join the sweepstakes for him it would drive the Jets asking price up as well.

Yeah. That is not something I'd want to be a part of. I don't care if it is Leon Sandcastle, I'm not breaking the bank for ANY CB ever! As I have said for years; it is the least important position on the defense (whether 4/3 or 3/4) and Polian & Parcells both obliquely hinted at that....though Parcells was a little softer on the point.