Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts ready to pounce as big hitter in free agency?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000149309/article/colts-ready-to-pounce-as-big-hitter-in-free-agency

Nothing really new here but ehhh...

While the Miami Dolphins are chasing big-name offensive weapons and the Cleveland Browns have owner Jimmy Haslam's checkout out to fix the defense, there's a noticeable hush surrounding the Indianapolis Colts.

Whereas information leaks are sprouting in Miami and Cleveland, general manager Ryan Grigson has kept a tight lid on the Colts' plans.

Flush with more than $43 million in salary-cap space, the Colts join the Dolphins, Browns, and Detroit Lions as teams "sure to strike early" in free agency, reports SI.com's Peter King.

"I think the Colts will surprise people with a flurry this week," adds King.

Seeking a replacement for pass rusher Dwight Freeney, the Colts are expected to engage a bidding war with the Browns for Paul Kruger, who played under Chuck Pagano in Baltimore.

That's just the beginning. The Colts have also been connected to safety Ed Reed and cornerback Cary Williams due to Pagano's history. Recently released by the Rams, Quintin Mikell could be an option an an Indiana alum with ties to Grigson from their Philadelphia days.

The offensive line could use an upgrade at four of five spots, as Grigson noted that Andrew Luck "has to get hit less" this year than last.

The Colts, Titans and Bills are reportedly engaged in a game of musical chairs for top guards Louis Vasquez and Andy Levitre. Vasquez has a front-office fan in new VP of Football Operations Jimmy Raye, just arrived from San Diego.

Don't be surprised if Jake Long, widely viewed as the top left tackle available, is on Grigson's radar as well. - Published: March 11, 2013 at 11:26 a.m.

Priority #1 is to sweep the O-line race meaning we need to sign both Vasquez and Levitre along with either Long or Vollmer. Then worry about every other need. We do that Grigson is front runner for a repeat as EOY.

I hope you're right, but I think you're going to be disappointed.....

I'm aware that its unlikely to bring in such a great haul but with the amount of cash we have to spend, its not impossible to think it can be done.

Disappointed, no, just would be curious as to why that wasn't the approach. Hopefully it will be the approach and a successful one at that.

I'm sure most would agree that an O-line "sweep" would be a massive win for us.

I'm aware that its unlikely to bring in such a great haul but with the amount of cash we have to spend, its not impossible to think it can be done.

Disappointed, no, just would be curious as to why that wasn't the approach. Hopefully it will be the approach and a successful one at that.

I'm sure most would agree that an O-line "sweep" would be a massive win for us.

Not sure most would agree in 4-5 years when the club is back in cap trouble when the costs of the FAs you want run into all the rookies earning their second contracts. I strongly suspect Grigson will be far more conservative and value minded in his approach.

I'm a very, very big admirer of Peter King.   Can't say enough good things about him.

But, he's got a comment in the story that strikes me as more than a little odd.....     here it is....

"I think the Colts will surprise people with a flurry this week," adds King.

Here's my reaction.....    why would the Colts striking with a flurry this week surprise anyone?    We have the 3rd most money, behind Cleveland and Cincinnati.    Most teams have very little.    There reportedly isn't as much FA money to spend this year for most teams.    And it's been noted that the flat cap doesn't help matters.

I think the bigger surprise is if we're all sitting here in a week and the Colts have only signed one player, maybe two.   I think that would be a bigger surprise, IMO.    And I think that's possible.    If players are holding out for big money and the Colts won't pay it and are waiting for the asking price to come down to something more realistic, I can see Grigson sitting on the sidelines until he likes what he sees.

But I don't think us signing guys in the first week would be a surprise to anyone, and I'm surprised King would write that.....

Perhaps there's more to this than meets the eye....

I will add one last thought.    I did like King's comment that while there are lots of leaks elsewhere with other franchises,  all is quiet with the Colts!     :thmup:      That's the way good franchises run their business.   Speaks highly to Grigson and Irsay and Pagano.       Yet the latest example of why I like this team!      :thmup:

Priority #1 is to sweep the O-line race meaning we need to sign both Vasquez and Levitre along with either Long or Vollmer. Then worry about every other need. We do that Grigson is front runner for a repeat as EOY.

each of those guys would cost us 10 mil each not leaving much for CB, S, and OLB

I would love to get both Vasquez and Levitre... maybe we can go slightly cheaper than Long at T, but I won't be sad at all if we spend most, if not all, of the FA money we are going to spend rebuilding the O-Line...

if we can grab a FA DE, that would be nice, too, but OLB and SS are positions we should fill through the draft or with cheaper FAs... CB will be , too if we can get Powers and Butler back... We don't have a treasure trove of picks, but building the monster has to start in the trenches IMO...

The one exception is if the F.O. has faith that Bigger Ben will be healthy and ready to play, then we might be able to just resign Justice at RT for depth, but I don't see it... 

Moala might surprise some if he can come back healthy... making DE less of a priority.. and I think our OLBs will have a better year behind Chap than they had last year...

I'm not sure that we can fill all of the holes this offseason, but if we solidify the O-Line and add some young guns on D, we will be most of the way there... even a marginally better O-Line would have won us the division last season, giving us at least one home game in the playoffs and possibly changing our fate...

yes, our secondary and run defense were bad last year in the new system, but our O-Line was not even NFL caliber... they had a historically bad season and would have given up a record number of sacks if our QB didn't run a 4.5 40...  It just isn't an option to get Luck hit as often as he was...

I don't know why he included the Lions in on striking early in free agency. There are 10 teams with 20+million dollars in cap space but the Lions only have 8 million. I don't think they are really in a position to make a splash in free agency.