Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Most underrated team in NFL history?

Dustin

Not teams that were underrated at the time, but teams that people don't think about when they think of some of the best teams ever.

My vote goes to the 1999 Jacksonville Jaguars. They scored 396 points in the regular season and only allowed 216. 

They finished 14-2 losing in week 3 to the division rival Tennesse Titans. They lost in Week 16 to the Tennesse Titans again.

They entered the playoffs and retired Dan Marino with a 62-7 beatdown that advanced them to the AFC Championship game. In the AFC Championship game they lost to the, you guessed it, Tennesse Titans. 

So only the Titans could beat the '99 Jags that year.

Who do you guys think is the most underrated team of all time?

The 1967 Baltimore Colts who finished 11-1-2 and missed the playoffs. The tied the Rams for the division who were also 11-1-2, but lost a tie-breaker. The 1968 Colts were 13-1, beat the Browns in the NFL title game, but lost to the Jets in Super Bowl 3. The 1967 team was probably better.

I think the 1990 Giants are some where on this list.  They were 13-3, ended the Joe Montana 49er's dynasty and won the Super Bowl with a back up QB playing from Week 15 on.  Also they would beat all three teams that they lost to that season at other points in the season including the 49ers and Bills in the playoffs.  Yet not many people talk that much about this team. 

The 1995 Colts..Weren't expected to make the playoffs, did..Faulk got hurt, and we were more than 10 point underdogs to SD in SD, we won..Were more than 10 point underdogs to KC in KC, won...Went to the AFC Championship, lost in the last second to Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh..as more than 10 point underdogs.

2006 Colts:)

I second this. No one realizes we beat the #1, #2 and #3 scoring Ds in the league 3 games in a row plus we were the best rushing D and O in the playoffs that year, quite the 180 from our regular season.

I do think the 2007 Giants were underrated too, till they took down the 18-0 Pats. But they were 2 TD underdogs, people forget.

I'll say the '70 Colts. They only remember the bad Super Bowl game.

I thought the 2003 Colts were much better than the 2006. Manning threw the 49 TDS that year. I also believe that was the first year he won his first playoff game as well. That team was stacked. The offense was amazing to watch.

You're a year early. ;)