Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL teams confirmed meetings with players at the combine.

Very Interesting... So the Colts interview(ed):

Corey Fuller, WR, Virginia Tech (EW)

Ray Graham, RB, Pittsburgh (EW)

Lane Johnson, OL, Oklahoma (COM) (SR) (INT)

Luke Marquardt, OL, Azusa Pacific (COM)

Vance McDonald, TE, Rice (SR)

Ty Powell, LB, Harding (SR)

Shamarko Thomas, S, Syracuse (EW)

Earl Watford, OL, James Madison (EW)

Sylvester Williams, DL, North Carolina (SR)

I have to admit, I'm surprised our list isn't larger and more diverse specifically with corners. I'm not sure how much value to place on this as an indication of our intentions outside of Lane Johnson and the O linemen. Thanks for sharing, it is very interesting. I would have thought our combine interviewees would have been longer, given that it's in Indy. Baltimore seems to be interviewing a ton!

Very Interesting... So the Colts interview(ed):

Corey Fuller, WR, Virginia Tech (EW)

Ray Graham, RB, Pittsburgh (EW)

Lane Johnson, OL, Oklahoma (COM) (SR) (INT)

Luke Marquardt, OL, Azusa Pacific (COM)

Vance McDonald, TE, Rice (SR)

Ty Powell, LB, Harding (SR)

Shamarko Thomas, S, Syracuse (EW)

Earl Watford, OL, James Madison (EW)

Sylvester Williams, DL, North Carolina (SR)

I have to admit, I'm surprised our list isn't larger and more diverse specifically with corners. I'm not sure how much value to place on this as an indication of our intentions outside of Lane Johnson and the O linemen. Thanks for sharing, it is very interesting. I would have thought our combine interviewees would have been longer, given that it's in Indy. Baltimore seems to be interviewing a ton!

Yeah, really, me too. Who knows? Maybe the Colts see more value in these guys, of are getting to the rest later

This means absolutely nothing. Teams will meet with most players at the combine at some point in time, but much of it is nothing more than a courtesy. Teams will also meet with players they have no intention of picking just to throw off other teams and sometimes they won't meet at all with the players they really like.

This means absolutely nothing. Teams will meet with most players at the combine at some point in time, but much of it is nothing more than a courtesy. Teams will also meet with players they have no intention of picking just to throw off other teams and sometimes they won't meet at all with the players they really like.

Actually.....    I don't believe any of that is true...    I think each team is allotted a certain number of interviews that you're allowed.  I thought the number was 20.    But, if these lists are to be believed, it's higher.  Because both Baltimore and Philadelphia are reported to have interviewed more than 30 kids each.   No other team was nearly that high.    Strange.

But the NFL does try to make sure players don't have to do too many interviews.  Maybe that's the number 20 I'm thinking of.   Also,  each interview is 15 minutes long.    These interviews are not courtesy's...   nor are they smoke screens....

As to the colts' list....   my guess is it's not a complete list.   That it may be a partial list.    That's my hunch.....

Actually.....    I don't believe any of that is true...    I think each team is allotted a certain number of interviews that you're allowed.  I thought the number was 20.    But, if these lists are to be believed, it's higher.  Because both Baltimore and Philadelphia are reported to have interviewed more than 30 kids each.   No other team was nearly that high.    Strange.

But the NFL does try to make sure players don't have to do too many interviews.  Maybe that's the number 20 I'm thinking of.   Also,  each interview is 15 minutes long.    These interviews are not courtesy's...   nor are they smoke screens....

As to the colts' list....   my guess is it's not a complete list.   That it may be a partial list.    That's my hunch.....

Mike Mayock said today basically what I said. Teams will talk to almost every player just as a courtesy or often just to get to know the kid. Many of the interviews held at the combine are just to throw other teams off or to make other teams think you're interested in drafting a certain position. Teams do not have limitations on how many players they can talk too.

There have been Colt drafted players who have said that being taken by the Colts came as a complete shock as they were never spoken to by the team. My guess is players that they have questions on are more likely to get talked to. Guys they have as "cant miss players" are not a "need" interview.....just my guess.

Mike Mayock said today basically what I said. Teams will talk to almost every player just as a courtesy or often just to get to know the kid. Many of the interviews held at the combine are just to throw other teams off or to make other teams think you're interested in drafting a certain position. Teams do not have limitations on how many players they can talk too.

This is absolutely false. Teams don't talk to over 300 guys and there is 100% a limit on how many are done. It's either 40 or 60 I think.

Those lists are just what has been confirmed so far and the vast majority of them are from the senior bowl and other events. That list isn't a combine list.

This is absolutely false. Teams don't talk to over 300 guys and there is 100% a limit on how many are done. It's either 40 or 60 I think.

Show me a link where it says there is a limit. I think I'll take Mayock's word for it over yours considering the guy works the combine every yr.. Don't believe it you want, I personally couldn't care less and your assumption that my statement is "absolutely false" needs to be backed up with some evidence to the contrary. Considering Balt. has already spoken to 36 players with 2 days left in the combine, I find it hard to believe they have almost reached their limit. I'm not saying that teams will sit down and interview all 333 players, Thats absurd, but they will speak to a big majority of any players they want to get a feel for.

I think teams will talk to as many players as they can over the course of months.   Each team couldn't possibly come close to meeting with 333 players (the number invited to the combine)....    the time demands alone would make it literally impossible.

If I'm off the on the number -- fine -- but meeting with all players is not correct.   If I find something, of course, I'll link it....   but short of that,  I think common sense says teams meeting with hundreds of players is simply not happening....   not at the 6-day combine at least....

I think teams will talk to as many players as they can over the course of months.   Each team couldn't possibly come close to meeting with 333 players (the number invited to the combine)....    the time demands alone would make it literally impossible.

If I'm off the on the number -- fine -- but meeting with all players is not correct.   If I find something, of course, I'll link it....   but short of that,  I think common sense says teams meeting with hundreds of players is simply not happening....   not at the 6 day combine at least....

I guess I did overstate it that they would talk to almost every player. what I meant was they'll talk to as many players as they want even those players they no intention of taking. Your right, there is no way they would talk to all 333 players, but if a team has needs at 6 or 7 different positions, they'll probably talk to just about every available player at those positions to get a feel for who may be available even in the late rds.. This is why I said there are no limitations on how many they can talk to because with so many available at different positions, I don't see why the league would say, "hey, you already talked to this many guys, sorry about your luck but you can't talk to anymore". That seems like it defeats the purpose of the combine.

I guess I did overstate it that they would talk to almost every player. what I meant was they'll talk to as many players as they want even those players they no intention of taking. Your right, there is no way they would talk to all 333 players, but if a team has needs at 6 or 7 different positions, they'll probably talk to just about every available player at those positions to get a feel for who may be available even in the late rds.. This is why I said there are no limitations on how many they can talk to because with so many available at different positions, I don't see why the league would say, "hey, you already talked to this many guys, sorry about your luck but you can't talk to anymore". That seems like it defeats the purpose of the combine.

I think they're trying to protect players from being overwhelmed on their time and demands.....

You don't want a player feeling like they didn't perform well as an athlete or in their interviews because at some point it all got to be too much....    mental exhaustion, if you will....

Not sure if this is a players association request or not...    I just know I've read it in stories in years past....

Show me a link where it says there is a limit. I think I'll take Mayock's word for it over yours considering the guy works the combine every yr.. Don't believe it you want, I personally couldn't care less and your assumption that my statement is "absolutely false" needs to be backed up with some evidence to the contrary. Considering Balt. has already spoken to 36 players with 2 days left in the combine, I find it hard to believe they have almost reached their limit. I'm not saying that teams will sit down and interview all 333 players, Thats absurd, but they will speak to a big majority of any players they want to get a feel for.

The only thing I am assuming is that you misunderstood what Mayock was saying. Of course there has to be a limit so that all teams have a chance to interview their guys without spreading the athletes too thin because of limited time.

Baltimore has not interviewed 36 players at the combine, that list says they have interviewed 14 players so far at the combine. But, ok.

Oh, and here's your link. http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-Notebook/2013-NFL-Scouting-Combine-Notebook/c2da55e8-fd5c-4230-9d6b-a12d613ed310

The only thing I am assuming is that you misunderstood what Mayock was saying. Of course there has to be a limit so that all teams have a chance to interview their guys without spreading the athletes too thin because of limited time.

Baltimore has not interviewed 36 players at the combine, that list says they have interviewed 14 players so far at the combine. But, ok.

Oh, and here's your link. http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-Notebook/2013-NFL-Scouting-Combine-Notebook/c2da55e8-fd5c-4230-9d6b-a12d613ed310

Ok, I can admit it. I stand corrected on the actual interviews. However, I still believe teams are permitted to talk with any player outside of an interview setting. This is what Mayock was talking about I believe. Teams do not need to be in an actual interview setting in a hotel room to have a chat with the players.

Ok, I can admit it. I stand corrected on the actual interviews. However, I still believe teams are permitted to talk with any player outside of an interview setting. This is what Mayock was talking about I believe. Teams do not need to be in an actual interview setting in a hotel room to have a chat with the players.

It would be impossible to find a link to prove this wrong but these guys have extremely long days and always somewhere to be. Between scheduled interviews, medicals and testing there isn't downtime for teams to be hounding these guys. 60 interviews is more than enough and they wouldn't set a limit if you could just talk to anyone you wanted. It's already 15 hours of interview time without the time in between. They obviously set the limit at 60 for a reason.

Interesting....

The linked story says each team can interview up to 60 different players....    I confess that's more than I thought it would be....

That's 15 hours of interviews over the 5 nights of the Combine....     again,  more than I thought....

Thanks....    good info....