Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFC East Trend [Merge]

chad72

Since 2002, when the divisions have been re-aligned, teams that have played the AFC West had not won the SB. The last one was the Raiders that lost in the 2002 SB. That pattern was broken this year when the Ravens played the AFC West but won it all. Pats came close last year with the same set of divisions but fell short.

The new pattern that seems to be alive and kicking is this. A team that plays the NFC East has won the SB since 2006.

2006 - Colts

2007 - Giants vs Pats (both played NFC East)

2008 - Steelers vs Cardinals (both played NFC East)

2009 - Saints

2010 - Packers

2011 - Giants vs Pats (both played NFC East)

2012 - Ravens

Next year, the AFC West and NFC North play the NFC East. Candidates to win it all would be Packers, Bears, Broncos, Chargers

Packers win it all next year!!! :)

Sorry chad, the NFC East pattern lost it's steam. The NFC East blew it last season.

The SB winner was supposed to be from the NFC East since they had no "jinxes". That's over now, as soon as the Redskins lost to Seattle. The Madden curse looks to also be broken with Calvin Johnson breaking the Jerry Rice record even if his team did not win many games.

Now you can also go back and say that the NFC winner every season plays the AFC East too I think going back to 2006. If that's the case then the NFC South is shaping up to have the next NFC Champ and Matt Ryan might become the new Eli/Rodgers/Flacco around the same age bracket.

And half the people who are football fans I see online think the Ravens got the ref help and they didn't really win anyway. haha

I think one thing we have seen come true again. Having the tougher division lately sometimes helps a team come playoff time as well. And having a first or second seed is not as important as we think it is if a team gets hot/healthy at the right time.

Since 2002, when the divisions have been re-aligned, teams that have played the AFC West had not won the SB. The last one was the Raiders that lost in the 2002 SB. That pattern was broken this year when the Ravens played the AFC West but won it all. Pats came close last year with the same set of divisions but fell short.

The new pattern that seems to be alive and kicking is this. A team that plays the NFC East has won the SB since 2006.

2006 - Colts

2007 - Giants vs Pats (both played NFC East)

2008 - Steelers vs Cardinals (both played NFC East)

2009 - Saints

2010 - Packers

2011 - Giants vs Pats (both played NFC East)

2012 - Ravens

Next year, the AFC West and NFC North play the NFC East. Candidates to win it all would be Packers, Bears, Broncos, Chargers

Packers win it all next year!!! :)

But...but....but the Farmer's Almanac says the Colts win the Super Bowl next year!! :(

Another tricky thing about next years SB is going to be the weather. So many of the top QBs and offenses I could see struggling unless we get lucky and get a "nice" winters day.

Heck I have no idea how the current Colts would fair in that situation myself. But, then again Luck seems hairy and young enough to be able to handle the cold. :)

There is a reason for this: Although NFC east is the most inconsistent division, once they are playing the playoff-caliber teams they are also playoff caliber. Giants are always able to go all the way, Cowboys and Eagles could beat anybody when they are willing to play. Now the Eagles may be gone for a while but Redskins are becoming a force. Teams playing this division and make the playoff tend to be most battle-tested.

However in 2013 as far as Giants and Cowboys are all going through a little rebulding, the division that can test teams' readiness for playoff will more likely be NFL west - two playoff teams, one tough team in Rams, and one team going up in Cardinals. This will be the division to beat for a couple of yrs at least. Colts will be playing them so it bolds well for Colts.

Coincidence or pattern that is for real?

You decide. :)

2006: NFC North (Chicago Bears) -- played the AFC East.
2007: NFC East (New York Giants) -- played the AFC East.
2008: NFC West (Arizona Cardinals) -- played the AFC East.
2009: NFC South (New Orleans Saints -- played the AFC East.

And the pattern repeats itself:

2010: NFC North (Green Bay Packers) -- played the AFC East.
2011: NFC East (New York Giants) -- played the AFC East.
2012: NFC West (San Francisco 49ers) -- played the AFC East.

2013: NFC South plays the AFC East
2014: NFC North plays the AFC East

There is a reason for this: Although NFC east is the most inconsistent division, once they are playing the playoff-caliber teams they are also playoff caliber. Giants are always able to go all the way, Cowboys and Eagles could beat anybody when they are willing to play. Now the Eagles may be gone for a while but Redskins are becoming a force. Teams playing this division and make the playoff tend to be most battle-tested.

However in 2013 as far as Giants and Cowboys are all going through a little rebulding, the division that can test teams' readiness for playoff will more likely be NFL west - two playoff teams, one tough team in Rams, and one team going up in Cardinals. This will be the division to beat for a couple of yrs at least. Colts will be playing them so it bolds well for Colts.

They are? Well maybe to an extent but I don't think they will fall off a cliff. I mean, the Skins have RG3 coming back from a major injury too so who knows about them. Not to mention that division never seems truly likely lately to repeat in division winners either.

Ugh.....not gonna lie. I kinda hate the NFC East with a passion at times. I am really hoping this year ended the pattern with them since I am sick of having to care about them too. haha

I mean with the Giants they went 9-7 this year and missed the playoffs. The year before they go 9-7 and win the dang Super Bowl.

I think the only team who I would keep an eye on if they make the playoffs from that division is usually the Giants based on recent history. Cowboys seem like the AFC West in some ways to me (Chargers/Broncos).......great stats but never seem to have the breaks go their way when it truly matters.

The reason this pattern/trend has to die if it is not dead already is that the NFC East teams themselves are always alive to make the SB and win it thanks to the trends.

The NFC East plays each other so they are always "in it." :bored: Booooo NFC East.

We need to start the AFC South pattern. Like you can only win it all if you play the AFC South. :goodluck: Which therefore would make the Colts alive for the SB every single season. :rock:

Coincidence or pattern that is for real?

You decide. :)

2006: NFC North (Chicago Bears) -- played the AFC East.

2007: NFC East (New York Giants) -- played the AFC East.

2008: NFC West (Arizona Cardinals) -- played the AFC East.

2009: NFC South (New Orleans Saints -- played the AFC East.

And the pattern repeats itself:

2010: NFC North (Green Bay Packers) -- played the AFC East.

2011: NFC East (New York Giants) -- played the AFC East.

2012: NFC West (San Francisco 49ers) -- played the AFC East.

2013: NFC South plays the AFC East

2014: NFC North plays the AFC East

But the SB winner since 2006 still comes from the division that plays the NFC East, LOL. No denying that. :)

So, Falcons/Saints vs Broncos with Broncos winning would fit both patterns, yours and mine, haha:)

Also, the Colts' turn will be in 2014 when they play the NFC East, LOL.

I would rather play the NFC East than I would the NFC West and NFC South.  I rate the NFC Nordic division about equal to the East.