Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Saints relieved Spags as defensive coordinator

Synthetic

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/news-and-events/article-1/New-Orleans-Saints-Relieve-DC-Steve-Spagnuolo-and-Secondary-Coach-Ken-Flajole-of-Their-Duties/b712093d-ce60-4594-80bd-3d9593410380

Thank you, now get rid of the clowns in the secondary Jenkins, Harper, and Greer

Also announcing a switch to 3-4, it's about time.

Welcome back coach!

Edited by 21isSuperman

It looks like Sean Payton (Or is that Kenny Chesney  :funny: ) is coming back with a,,,,,,,bang!!! rotflmao

Interesting the switch to the 3/4.....so many fun things going on in the NFL.  Thanks for the info.....and the humor too Bogie  :thmup:

That gif was just too good to not post it somewhere LOL.

I've been wanting a switch to 3-4 since the year we went to the Super Bowl to be honest. Hopefully they go after Crennell or Rob Ryan. My bet is on Rob Ryan. I don't think Spags was the answer. He had 3 years in St Louis, didn't do much, and in just 1 season Jeff Fisher without a defensive coordinator turned them around quick.

That gif was just too good to not post it somewhere LOL.

I've been wanting a switch to 3-4 since the year we went to the Super Bowl to be honest. Hopefully they go after Crennell or Rob Ryan. My bet is on Rob Ryan. I don't think Spags was the answer. He had 3 years in St Louis, didn't do much, and in just 1 season Jeff Fisher without a defensive coordinator turned them around quick.

I loved it!!  

I do not think you can go wrong with either.....I like both Ryan and Romeo.....I honestly think Crennel's defenses were some of the worst we (Colts) had to deal with in the Patriot wars...he is a master of disguise.  Thanks again...I was laughing out loud!!!!   :)

Edited by BrentMc11

I loved it!!  

I do not think you can go wrong with either.....I like both Ryan and Romeo.....I honestly think Crennel's defenses were some of the worst we (Colts) had to deal with in the Patriot wars...he is a master of disguise.  Thanks again...I was laughing out loud!!!!   :)

OMG don't remind me. Romeo was in Peyton's head. Some of those games were just disheartening.

hmmmmm interesting around the same time greg williams was reinstated

I don't see him coming back. Even before the bounty stuff, there were rumors of him being gone if we lost in the playoffs, and sure enough we did that season. GW ran 4-3, they want to switch to 3-4, no way we go back to him. it's going to be a blessing to finally put all this behind us next season I hope.

I don't see him coming back. Even before the bounty stuff, there were rumors of him being gone if we lost in the playoffs, and sure enough we did that season. GW ran 4-3, they want to switch to 3-4, no way we go back to him. it's going to be a blessing to finally put all this behind us next season I hope.

You answered my next question. I thought that he had run a 4-3. If 3-4 is the direction they want to go, they won't bring him back. That and they would be scrutinized more heavily than anybody in history.

The wording in the title made me think they were happy he was still there

Players are starting to react to the firing.

From Shanle

It's better to make a change than not make a change. ... I'm being brutally honest in that there absolutely were issues with the scheme," Shanle said. "Guys no matter how many years they played, there were things I was being told to do in this scheme that I've never heard of, and I've played for four different defensive coordinators."

"You sit there and look and Junior Galette and Martez Wilson and think, 'Man, if we could get these guys on the field as outside linebackers, we could have a 34 front and we could have Will (Smith) at defensive end.' We just had so many combinations that a 34 package would make sense. Obviously, Steve wasn't going to do that. That's what he's never done."

While his defense worked miracles in New York, I think he's lost a step. He was in St. Louis for 3 years and did absolutely nothing with their defense. Then in 1 season, Jeff Fisher shows up, loses his defensive coordinator (Greg Williams) and some how he had them turned around and ranked 16th overall in the league, which was higher than any of the 3 seasons that Spagnoulo was there. Watching the Rams this year, they looked like a brand new team that was flying in most games. It was so hard to believe they were 2-14 last year. They didn't win by 7 games, but still that's great for Fisher's first season. Bradford looked good, and that defense was a problem to most offenses all year long. I will not be surprised if the NFC West becomes the old west between the Rams and Niners. That rivalry is going to really spark again since he is 0-1-1 against them currently.

did anyone see the saints defense last season? me neither

Be glad you didn't if you really didn't. We were god awful. Words cannot even describe it. When your defense can't tackle, and don't know to defend the pass, and constantly give up huge runs on the ground and big play bombs, it's pretty sad when you realize that is going to be every single week. The Saints defense this past season would averagely surrender 475 yards a game, or probably even more than that.

If anyone wants to complain about the Colts defense from this past season, do please watch the Saints defense....it will make you thankful that your defense isn't near as bad as ours was. Can't get turnovers, can't pressure, can't stop deep ball, can't tackle anyone until they gain 20-30 yards down field.

and still I am not making excuses on the fact we didn't have Sean Payton. If this Colts team won without Pagano, no excuse for us to keep losing when we didn't have Payton.

You answered my next question. I thought that he had run a 4-3. If 3-4 is the direction they want to go, they won't bring him back. That and they would be scrutinized more heavily than anybody in history.

Sean Payton said he doesn't even want to talk to Gregg Williams. He was never going to go back there.

In other news, now that the Saints are converting to a 3-4, and the Rams hired Rob Ryan (and will likely convert to a 3-4), that's more competition for 2-gap nose tackles and five-tech ends. This is starting to annoy me.

Sean Payton said he doesn't even want to talk to Gregg Williams. He was never going to go back there.

In other news, now that the Saints are converting to a 3-4, and the Rams hired Rob Ryan (and will likely convert to a 3-4), that's more competition for 2-gap nose tackles and five-tech ends. This is starting to annoy me.

Hasn't Rob Ryan coached both schemes? Not sure why the Rams would make that change

Possibly but not necessarily.  Maybe the Saints bring in a guy who runs a 1-gap 3-4 similar to what Wade Phillips runs.  At least we can hope right?  lol

And I wonder if Spags is kicking himself for turning down Indy.  I'm very glad he did though because if he had accepted the Colts offer then Caldwell would still be here. :facepalm:

Possibly but not necessarily.  Maybe the Saints bring in a guy who runs a 1-gap 3-4 similar to what Wade Phillips runs.  At least we can hope right?  lol

And I wonder if Spags is kicking himself for turning down Indy.  I'm very glad he did though because if he had accepted the Colts offer then Caldwell would still be here. :facepalm:

Yup. I'd still take Spags as an assistant or a position coach or something.

Yup. I'd still take Spags as an assistant or a position coach or something.

Hmm..I probably would too but the comments by some of the saints players after he was fired were a bit concerning...though the saints' players credibility would also come into question on that topic.  I was a big fan of his in NY though. :)