Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Elway indirectly throwing Peyton under the bus?

Hoosier Colts Fan

No, he's not trying in any way to throw Peyton under the bus.

Lots of good responses in this thread.     Elway LOVES Peyton.    Everything he's done and said shows that.  From pursuing him to the contract to the players he put around him says that....

Elway is a good guy.   He's still very glad he got Peyton.   He knows what happened to Peyton Sunday happened to him when he was playing.    That's what happens in the NFL....

Correct....blame it on age, injury, the weather, stubbornness, lack of creativity OR opposing defenses' familiarity with what Manning does, which Baltimore had plenty of and perhaps the fairy-tale ending he and Elway envisioned.

Let's face it....without Holliday's TD returns....that game may very well have been a blowout.

That game is what it was and the only thing that matters now is that game sent Ravens to play the Pats this coming weekend and Ravens earned it.

The general thing I have seen is pats are always shown to be more prepared and they look more flexible to make system-wise changes, while it looks like Manning would rather imrpove his system through practice and makes less changes.

This might sound naive, but I have never really noticed any jealousy among NFL QB's.  They tend to like and support each other.  The only time they don't is when they both are competing for the starter role and even then, they act pretty  reasonable.  So, I think Elway is in Manning's corner and is not jealous.

My gut says Peyton is gone after the 2014 season. His contract is structured like 1-2-2. So, he has to pass a physical after 1 year to get paid $40 mil. for the next 2 years, then after the 3rd year to get the guaranteed portions of his contract based on the timing of the contract for another 2 more years. So, Elway has safeguards. So, if Peyton does not work out after 3 years and they have no SB appearance to show for it, I expect Peyton to be let go.

I would hate for that to happen to Peyton but he can come back to where he belongs, and retire as a Colt, if that should happen. We will be more than happy to let him retire as a Colt, always :).

Well I think if Peyton doesn't get to 100% which he had said many time this year that he wasn't 100% in that time frame and maybe sooner he will retire. He will know then that he will never be where he wants to be. I'm sure he is trying very hard to get there but not there yet. I would hope that when and if he decides to retire that we would sign him to a 1 day contract so he can retire where he started his career. I personally can't see Irsay not doing that but I'm not a mind reader so who knows what will happen when that time comes.   :)    If it didn't pan out that way I would be sorely disappointed in the Colts organization  but when that time comes who knows what team Peyton would want to retire from only time will tell. Hopefully it would be the Colts but that is just my opinion for what it's worth. ;)

My gut says Peyton is gone after the 2014 season. His contract is structured like 1-2-2. So, he has to pass a physical after 1 year to get paid $40 mil. for the next 2 years, then after the 3rd year to get the guaranteed portions of his contract based on the timing of the contract for another 2 more years. So, Elway has safeguards. So, if Peyton does not work out after 3 years and they have no SB appearance to show for it, I expect Peyton to be let go.

I would hate for that to happen to Peyton but he can come back to where he belongs, and retire as a Colt, if that should happen. We will be more than happy to let him retire as a Colt, always :).

Osweiler has a lot of raw talent. Good physical tools. Maybe all he needs is 2 or 3 years under Peyton.

If he does not go to a SB and retires and/or is released from the Broncos after 2014 (say), I can see Irsay letting him retire as a Colt. Lets not sell Irsay's heart short. :)

Irsay's heart has nothing to do with it.  This type of thing is good public relations.

It seems to me Peyton isn't the only person on the team and to lay it all on one player when the defense could of played better, the offense had lots of opportunities to score again and did not, and the coaching error of not closing out the game with 32 seconds left and 2 time outs! How quick people are to jump on the negative. They had a good season, they are rebuilding too. They should be pleased with their results.