Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Elway indirectly throwing Peyton under the bus?

Hoosier Colts Fan

In his press conference yesterday, Elway said "Your salary is earned in the regular season but your legacy is earned in the post season." and while he didn't exactly say that this loss was a doomer for Peyton's legacy, it was implied. 

Elway has been getting alot of heat from Broncos fans for the salary paid Peyton since the results were not what they (Broncos fans) thought they would get.  And, unlike Colts fans, they (Broncos fans) have no loyalty toward Peyton what so ever -- they only want him for the wins (sort of like Kentucky basketball fans and their players).  So now, best case scenario, Elway is trying to cover his actions for the salary -- worst case scenario, he is secretly happy because now his own "legacy" may be viewed better.  I have been suspicious of his bringing in Peyton ever since he said he could now "help" Peyton become the greatest ever.  At any rate, it seems to me like he is taking stabs at Peyton while covering his own actions.  Maybe I'm just prejudice becaus I pretty much dislike Elway severly.  And, I'm sure he is still slapping himself on the back for how well he "got rid of" Tebow.

We will see.

No GM would admit a high cost mistake easily. However, I think Peyton alone can't be blamed for Broncos' season. There were many contributing factors to being "one and done",

So I don1t think Peyton would be "thrown inder the bus" yet, but if next season Broncos would be eliminated from the playoffs early again...I'm not sure there wouldn't be any voice questioning his contract/value.

What Elway is saying is true. Your legacy as a player is earned in the post season. Yes, Peyton has amazing stats and is one of the greatest QBs, but when it comes playoff time he typically does not play like he does in the regular season. Peyton will go down as one of the greats, but he will not go down as the GOAT because of his lackluster play in the postseason.

You look at guys like Jordan, Gretzky, Montana, Bird, or Magic and they did their damage and stepped their game up come playoff time. Peyton always seemed to regress or come back down to Earth come playoff time.

In his press conference yesterday, Elway said "Your salary is earned in the regular season but your legacy is earned in the post season." and while he didn't exactly say that this loss was a doomer for Peyton's legacy, it was implied. 

Elway has been getting alot of heat from Broncos fans for the salary paid Peyton since the results were not what they (Broncos fans) thought they would get.  And, unlike Colts fans, they (Broncos fans) have no loyalty toward Peyton what so ever -- they only want him for the wins (sort of like Kentucky basketball fans and their players).  So now, best case scenario, Elway is trying to cover his actions for the salary -- worst case scenario, he is secretly happy because now his own "legacy" may be viewed better.  I have been suspicious of his bringing in Peyton ever since he said he could now "help" Peyton become the greatest ever.  At any rate, it seems to me like he is taking stabs at Peyton while covering his own actions.  Maybe I'm just prejudice becaus I pretty much dislike Elway severly.  And, I'm sure he is still slapping himself on the back for how well he "got rid of" Tebow.

i dont think Elway would throw Peyton under the bus . . . i would have to hear the words in context of the rest of his statement, but many times players and coaches, after a playoff loss (or even before a playoff game) will talk about the importance and difference of the playoffs and regular season. And it looks to me thatis just what he is doing and nothing more . . .

Sort of like the comments "the season starts after Thanksgiving"

Elway is right and a problem when Manning was with Colts - and also a problem for so many of his fans today - is that nobody dare to criticize him even when he makes obvious mistakes. As a HOF QB and one winning multiple SBs, Elway is the right person to give Manning the help and meaningful mentoring he really needs, instead of the useless excuses, for him to have a strong run at the end of his career. This kind of healthy criticism could be provided by nobody but one like Elway.

Hope Manning can really learn from the loss and have a come-back run like Elway did.

Elway is right and a problem when Manning was with Colts - and also a problem for so many of his fans today - is that nobody dare to criticize him even when he makes obvious mistakes. As a HOF QB and one winning multiple SBs, Elway is the right person to give Manning the help and meaningful mentoring he really needs, instead of the useless excuses, for him to have a strong run at the end of his career. This kind of healthy criticism could be provided by nobody but one like Elway.

Hope Manning can really learn from the loss and have a come-back run like Elway did.

Manning must have really upset you because it seems like every chance you get, your throwing jabs at the guy.  I understand he has faults and has just as much blame as the defense but chill out. 

John Elway knows a thing or two about a tough loss and going one-and-done when they went one-and-done vs upstart Jacksonville Jaguars after being heavy favorites in 1996. They did come back the next 2 years to win 2 SBs.

That put Tom Coughlin on the map in the playoffs, didn't it?

Manning must have really upset you because it seems like every chance you get, your throwing jabs at the guy.  I understand he has faults and has just as much blame as the defense but chill out. 

Already a little over it. Just want to see him succeed and knowing his window is closing and this yr's opportunity doesn't come very often makes it even more difficult to swallow. It is not like Manning was 25 yrs old, and for old QBs every yr is not a given. They might be near perfect at the age of 37 but totally screw it at age 38. As great as Manning is, he just deserves more success in playoffs.

Anyway the game is over and there will be as good or even better football even after Manning retires. Wont be a big deal eventually.

Elway may have been waxing poetic about his own career. Up until he went out on top as a 2-time SB champ, he was viewed as a guy who could not get it done, going 0-3 in the Super Bowl prior to 1997-1998. With a lot of help, Elway was able to change that and - as a result - change his own legacy.

I don't think it was a shot at Manning though. It'd be one thing if they cut him or traded him and then Elway said that. But they're going to stick with this and give it another shot in 2013.

for what it is worth, here is a link to a video for a portion of the interview . . . looks to me as Elway is just trying to make a point if you play one bad game you are bounced from the playoffs which is a one game at a time season, also he made comments that it takes a bad game to lose sometimes and it can occur at the start or the end of the playoffs . . .

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22374228/breaking-down-denver-broncos-position-by-position

Wow..That's a spin worthy of Skip bayless........Remember...Elway...WAS Peyton Manning...

He didnt win the Super Bowl until his FINAL two years in the NFL after years of coming close...and he heard how he COULDNT do it..

That's what he meant...

Elway's lived in Denver 25 years...The Broncos winning NOW would be his legacy.

John Elway knows a thing or two about a tough loss and going one-and-done when they went one-and-done vs upstart Jacksonville Jaguars after being heavy favorites in 1996. They did come back the next 2 years to win 2 SBs.

That put Tom Coughlin on the map in the playoffs, didn't it?

Exactly chad..he was talking about himself..there..

Elway may have been waxing poetic about his own career. Up until he went out on top as a 2-time SB champ, he was viewed as a guy who could not get it done, going 0-3 in the Super Bowl prior to 1997-1998. With a lot of help, Elway was able to change that and - as a result - change his own legacy.

I don't think it was a shot at Manning though. It'd be one thing if they cut him or traded him and then Elway said that. But they're going to stick with this and give it another shot in 2013.

My gut says Peyton is gone after the 2014 season. His contract is structured like 1-2-2. So, he has to pass a physical after 1 year to get paid $40 mil. for the next 2 years, then after the 3rd year to get the guaranteed portions of his contract based on the timing of the contract for another 2 more years. So, Elway has safeguards. So, if Peyton does not work out after 3 years and they have no SB appearance to show for it, I expect Peyton to be let go.

I would hate for that to happen to Peyton but he can come back to where he belongs, and retire as a Colt, if that should happen. We will be more than happy to let him retire as a Colt, always :).

Usually, a player is already done being "mentored" long before this stage of their career.  Manning is what he is, I don't expect him to suddenly get "clutch" in the postseason.

My gut says Peyton is gone after the 2014 season. His contract is structured like 1-2-2. So, he has to pass a physical after 1 year to get paid $40 mil. for the next 2 years, then after the 3rd year to get the guaranteed portions of his contract based on the timing of the contract for another 2 more years. So, Elway has safeguards. So, if Peyton does not work out after 3 years and they have no SB appearance to show for it, I expect Peyton to be let go.

I would hate for that to happen to Peyton but he can come back to where he belongs, and retire as a Colt, if that should happen. We will be more than happy to let him retire as a Colt, always :).

I don't think Manning has any chance of playing out this contract.  His arm strength is not there, and he's only getting older.  Maybe another two years, but I would be surprised after that.

Usually, a player is already done being "mentored" long before this stage of their career.  Manning is what he is, I don't expect him to suddenly get "clutch" in the postseason.

yeah I think at this stage he is what he is, not many things can be changed. but if he doesn't insist on some things he could definitely get some help from other aspect of his team, e.g. more diversified offensive plans and more powerful running game.

Not only that....but Elway himself had a miserable 59.9 rating in his 5 Super Bowl appearances, including only 3TDs and 8INTs.

Even in his 2 SB wins he had a TOTAL of 459yds and 1TD with 2INTs...and RB Terrell Davis and the defense delivered the Broncos those Lombardi's every bit as much as Elway.

So for all his regular season accolades....horse face is hardly qualified to lecture Manning on substandard post-season QB play.

Not only that....but Elway himself had a miserable 59.9 rating in his 5 Super Bowl appearances, including only 3TDs and 8INTs.

Even in his 2 SB wins he had a TOTAL of 459yds and 1TD with 2INTs...and RB Terrell Davis and the defense delivered the Broncos those Lombardi's every bit as much as Elway.

So for all his regular season accolades....horse face is hardly qualified to lecture Manning on substandard post-season QB play.

How about teaching him to concede the physical limitations of old QBs and the pass-heavy system and instill a more balanced offensive scheme? Getting some running game and D is not a bad idea. In the case of most QBs winning the SB, like the earlier Brady and Big Ben, a balanced team that can find multiple ways to win is the best model for winning big games. Pats have not won any SB after they start to depend mainly on Brady.

i dont know why you would say they are unloyal to peyton manning. i went to the houston @ denver game and their fans showed alot of respect for peyton manning. as a matter of fact they all yelled at the top of their lungs when his name was announced over the PA system during player introduction before the game. even chants of " peyton " peyton " were even starting. they are very loyal to him and thankful they got him. they just expected to atleast make it deeper into the playoffs. and who wouldnt when your team went into the second round with a QB who didnt even start this year and then turn around and sign a future HOF QB who has been to two superbowls and winning one.

but i could actually see Elway being " secretly " happy peyton lost because like you said he is the last super star QB to win in denver. i questioned last off season why Elway would even sign manning and why manning would even sign in Denver giving his history in cold weather enviroments. guess they really didnt think about it.

like you said it was all Terrell Davis and the defense that got him those two superbowl rings. he just got them to the playoffs.

How about teaching him to concede the physical limitations of old QBs and the pass-heavy system and instill a more balanced offensive scheme? Getting some running game and D is not a bad idea. In the case of most QBs winning the SB, like the earlier Brady and Big Ben, a balanced team that can find multiple ways to win is the best model for winning big games. Pats have not won any SB after they start to depend mainly on Brady.

You bring up terrific points that I wholeheartedly agree with....but will Manning concede that, at HIS age?

but i could actually see Elway being " secretly " happy peyton lost because like you said he is the last super star QB to win in denver. i questioned last off season why Elway would even sign manning and why manning would even sign in Denver giving his history in cold weather enviroments. guess they really didnt think about it.

Aren't they see each other as their own image? Called chokers and needing a strong late-career run for SB rings.

so what your saying is they have an opt out clause like the colts did with his contract after the first year??? if thats the case i could see the broncos letting manning go in the off season and drafting a QB like Matt Barkley, Landry Jones or tyler wilson. or going with that osweiler kid they drafted this past year out of arizona state. I think manning was a desperation call to try to get a superbowl. BUT then again Manning could very well just retire. and what do you mean by peyton coming back to indy and retire as a colt?? you meaning sign him to a contract and let him play??? if so you know the damage that would do to luck?

exactly Tony...John Elway WAS Manning.....the guy who couldnt win the big playoff game...until he did ....twice

They'd never tell us..but I'm sure they've talked about it....

I think Elway is living vicariuously through Manning...

/////Elway knew Tebow had lost 4 of his last 5 and the horse was out of the barn...

..he saw a chance to bring back the good, old days....

Aren't they see each other as their own image? Called chokers and needing a strong late-career run for SB rings.

umm peyton got his first superbowl quicker then Elway did didnt he?? 8 years into his career he got one, Elway got his like around the 11th or 12th year of his career.

so what your saying is they have an opt out clause like the colts did with his contract after the first year??? if thats the case i could see the broncos letting manning go in the off season and drafting a QB like Matt Barkley, Landry Jones or tyler wilson. or going with that osweiler kid they drafted this past year out of arizona state. I think manning was a desperation call to try to get a superbowl. BUT then again Manning could very well just retire. and what do you mean by peyton coming back to indy and retire as a colt?? you meaning sign him to a contract and let him play??? if so you know the damage that would do to luck?

18 will be under center in Denver next year. And Peyton may sign a one day contract with the colts when he decides to retire, but he won't be playing here

You bring up terrific points that I wholeheartedly agree with....but will Manning concede that, at HIS age?

That has nothing to do with age but what he really wants: Simply more SB rings, or the way he wins those rings. His new team did try to add some new things to his playbook but for some reasons they gave up 2-3 weeks into the season and went back to his old scheme. I don't know how hard it is to do new things, maybe it requires a more creative coach. Looks like Patriots have never given up making changes, every season their offense has some new elements, although sometimes it doesn't work either. So far haven't seen anything new in Manning's games.

umm peyton got his first superbowl quicker then Elway did didnt he?? 8 years into his career he got one, Elway got his like around the 11th or 12th year of his career.

When he won his SB everybody thought he finally got that monkey off his back and more trophies were waiting for him. Unfortunately he answered with only 1 good run and 4 1-and-dones. As manning is generally thought to be a much superior QB than Elway, I think it is natural for people to expect more than 1 SB from him.

18 will be under center in Denver next year. And Peyton may sign a one day contract with the colts when he decides to retire, but he won't be playing here

A one-day contract will be great, but the way they handled his release kinda closed the door. Not sure if they will forget about the unhappy ending when he retires.

When he won his SB everybody thought he finally got that monkey off his back and more trophies were waiting for him. Unfortunately he answered with only 1 good run and 4 1-and-dones. As manning is generally thought to be a much superior QB than Elway, I think it is natural for people to expect more than 1 SB from him.

well i blame coaching decisions in our loss to new orleans. should never have lost that super bowl. the saints were set up for an onside kick to start the second half and the colts didnt even call a time out to adjust. but i guess that pick 6 at the end didnt help much either. but its hard to win multiple superbowls when you have to go against Tom freakin brady every year in the AFC championship lol.

I dont think it will matter at all, IMO. But then, I could be wrong.

i honestly think if manning were to win multiple superbowls in denver and with how bad things ended between him and irsay that he will retire a bronco. and i wont expect to see a statue of manning out infront of LOS.

i honestly think if manning were to win multiple superbowls in denver and with how bad things ended between him and irsay that he will retire a bronco. and i wont expect to see a statue of manning out infront of LOS.

If he does not go to a SB and retires and/or is released from the Broncos after 2014 (say), I can see Irsay letting him retire as a Colt. Lets not sell Irsay's heart short. :)

That has nothing to do with age but what he really wants: Simply more SB rings, or the way he wins those rings. His new team did try to add some new things to his playbook but for some reasons they gave up 2-3 weeks into the season and went back to his old scheme. I don't know how hard it is to do new things, maybe it requires a more creative coach. Looks like Patriots have never given up making changes, every season their offense has some new elements, although sometimes it doesn't work either. So far haven't seen anything new in Manning's games.

Correct....blame it on age, injury, the weather, stubbornness, lack of creativity OR opposing defenses' familiarity with what Manning does, which Baltimore had plenty of and perhaps the fairy-tale ending he and Elway envisioned.

Let's face it....without Holliday's TD returns....that game may very well have been a blowout.