Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New and Improved Colts Mock (with FA acquisitions)

I have us resigning guys like DT Moala, LB Fokou, CBs Butler and Vaughn, P McAfee, QB Stanton, and OTs Reitz and Justice

Then we go out and sign...

LB Paul Kruger(starter opposite Mathis)

OG Louis Vasquez(starter at LG)

OT Jermon Bushrod(can play both LT and RT)

CB Dominique Rodgers Cromartie(Talented corner with size and ball skills with ties to Grigson)

NT Isaac Sopoaga(Has ties to Manusky, and is a good veteran NT to share time with Chapman)

Draft...

1st(24th pick)- Indy trades down to the mid 2nd, picks up a 3rd, 5th in exchange.

2nd(via trade)- S Tony Jefferson, Oklahoma (Im really warming up to this guy. He has size, 5-10, 212 pounds, can play both SS and FS, and is a high character guy. Safety is such a huge need for us opposite Bethea, and now we have a quality tandem once again. Having a good SS who can cover like a FS makes all the difference in this secondary.)- Unless we sign a Jarius Byrd, Ed Reed, or Dashon Goldson, Safety is a huge need going into this draft.

**Trade**

Indy trades their late 3rd and 2014 4th to move back into the late 2nd round.

2nd(via trade)- WR Cordarelle Patterson, Tennessee (Raw prospect, but incredibally talented and has size and speed at 6-3 205. Working with Reggie for a year, he could take over the #1 WR duties when Wayne calls it a career.)

3rd(via trade)- OLB Brandon Jenkins, FSU (Gives us a very talented pass rusher to mix in our defense. You can never have enough pass rushers, and Hughes isnt great by any means. Plus Mathis is getting a little older.)

4th- DT/DE William Gholston, Mich St. (Very athletic DE who has great size but hasnt always lived up to the hype. With good coaching, could be a steal here along our DL.)

5th(via trade)- OG Gabe Jackson, Miss St. (Played with Ballard in college, and was a very good run blocker. Just needs to get a little better with pass protection.)

The rest of draft I have us going BPA. This draft and free agency in summary gets most of our needs fixed and gives us great potential for the future if certain guys pan out.

How is 5'10 size? That's everyone's knock on Elam. I'd rather trade further down and get DJ Swearinger.

Do not like the Patterson pick. He is a #2. That's what he will be. Certainly not worth a 2, 3, and 4.

I like the FA. The draft I don't.

The first 4 on your list seem doable at this time and would be a Huge Boost.

I would say Kuger or Spencer would work. Spencer makes A LOT of tackles.

Cromartie is squirrely they say, but a great athlete. Our lockerroom and Team Leaders would be good for him.

And a Real upgrade at Safety would be of Big help.

Castonzo was actually pretty BAD at LT protecting Andrew (11 sacks) and lots of hurries and hits.

But we ran his way at a higher % than most any team did. 21% and with good success.

We were also at the bottom in running off RT & RE. 7 & 5%. With poor success.

Castonzo at RT would clear that up especiially if he has a better guard beside him. That Balance would be Very NICE!

J Bushrod gave up 4.5 sacks at LT for Cash Strapped NO. This would be excellent to grab him and Upgrade two O-Line spots.

You add a NEW solid RB to this group and it would be Watchout.

I completely agree on the free agency moves you outlined, including reupping our own FA's. The draft seems a bit off though. First off, I really don't think ANY team in the NFL takes our late 1st round pick for any deal that they have to give up a 2014 first. We're not the only team in the league that likes the '14 draft. Secondly, our team should be bolstered now. We are in a prime position to upgrade immensely. That includes taking BPA with our first. With an upgrade needed at virtually every position, why would we give up our first for the sake of giving it up when we could land a contributor to pair up with this year's draftees. Without a second this year, we really really need to see what Grigs can do with this first rounder. We need to build the new nucleus now and bolster throughout the next few years. Right now though, we need to soak in as much tallent as possible. 

How is 5'10 size? That's everyone's knock on Elam. I'd rather trade further down and get DJ Swearinger.

Do not like the Patterson pick. He is a #2. That's what he will be. Certainly not worth a 2, 3, and 4.

I like the FA. The draft I don't.

Patterson is percieved by some as the best WR in the draft.

Offensive minded draft

1. Cooper (G) or Allen (WR)

2. NONE

3. Warford or Hunter

4. Dri Archer or Kenon Barner (WR/KR options rather than RB)

Possible 3rd down WR package: Wayne, Hilton/Avery, Archer/Barner, Keenan Allen/Brazill, Allen/Fleener,

FA: OL, DB,

Defensive minded draft

1.  Mingo (OLB) or Jenkins (DT)

3. Arthur Brown (OLB) Kevin Minter (LB) Chase Thomas (LB)

4. Dri Archer or Robert Lester (S)

FA: OL, WR

Gosder Cherilus (DET) or Will Beatty (NYG) are better OT options than Jermon Bushrod (according to PFF). 

Of the three, I'd take whoever is cheapest....

Beatty is the youngest, but not by much... he also blocked for Donald Brown in college (not that it matters)...

Bushrod can also play G if needed

Cherilus is the highest rated of the three on PFF

any of these three would be a huge upgrade over Justice or possibly AC... Justice will be a decent backup

Of the three, I'd take whoever is cheapest....

Beatty is the youngest, but not by much... he also blocked for Donald Brown in college (not that it matters)...

Bushrod can also play G if needed

Cherilus is the highest rated of the three on PFF

any of these three would be a huge upgrade over Justice or possibly AC... Justice will be a decent backup

I'd rather draft an OT rather than sign one. I'd rather sign an OG, an OLB, and/or a WR. In the draft, Oday Aboushi seems to be our kinda of guy. He's big (6'6, 315 LB). He has good athleticism and great quicness. Specalizes in pass protection. Would be a great LT or RT. I would argue that he's as good as Joeckel. But since he isn't from a big school (Virginia), he doens't get the coverage.