Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Shades of the old Bill Polian today on First Take

NYColt

Anyone watch First Take today where it sort of got a little uncomfortably heated between Bill and Skip while they were arguing over Tim Tebow?

Polian's done a remarkable job of creating his media personality - polite, engaging, diplomatic and tactful ..as opposed to how we remember him really being

But I smiled when I saw a flash of the familar Polian we remember as Colts fans, Polian's manufactured smile faded and his demeanour changed for an instance to his old boorish self and as if he was berating an employee, but to Skip's credit he wasn't intimidated

Polian's media-senses returned and he broke out the fake smile and Dr.Jekyll reasserted itself but it was awesome and nostalgic seeing that, knowing at heart he's still the same old crank

You really don't like Polian, eh? I don't get all the Polian hate on here. Sure, he didn't do everything right, but show me anyone in the NFL who has done everything right. Polian built winning teams in Indy, Buffalo, and Carolina, not to mention all of his success in the CFL. He did make some mistakes, but without him, the Colts wouldn't be anywhere near what they are today. The man did a lot for the franchise and to say he turn into his "old boorish self" and say his demeanor was as though "he was berating an employee" are very strong and harsh comments. When has Polian ever been boorish? When he has ever berated one of his employees?

I'd rather him be honest. Call a spade a spade and not sugarcoat things. It might hurt the feelings of some, but they will get over it.

It's a lot like Gruden. He's so fake sounding at times, and I'd rather him say what is on his mind and if that means that the broadcast here's a beeping sound a time or two then so what.

I was watching an internet feed of MNF one night and they broke to a commercial and right before the commercial the "Tuck rule" made an apperance.

So they cut to the commercial but this feed is showing an overview of the stadium and their microphones are still hot.

Well, needless to say Gruden expressed his feeling on the fumble that was ruled as the "Tuck rule". Jaws & Tirico were ribbing him a bit and he was giving it right back with expletive this, and radioedit that and it was the most entertaining part of the show. It was real.

They come back from commercial and Trico says something snarky, like well Jaws, Coach Gruden here has some experience with the "Tuck Rule", and he sugar-coated it and walked his way through it, and it was no where near as good as his real feelings.

I'd rather him be honest. Call a spade a spade and not sugarcoat things. It might hurt the feelings of some, but they will get over it.

It's a lot like Gruden. He's so fake sounding at times, and I'd rather him say what is on his mind and if that means that the broadcast here's a beeping sound a time or two then so what.

I was watching an internet feed of MNF one night and they broke to a commercial and right before the commercial the "Tuck rule" made an apperance.

So they cut to the commercial but this feed is showing an overview of the stadium and their microphones are still hot.

Well, needless to say Gruden expressed his feeling on the fumble that was ruled as the "Tuck rule". Jaws & Tirico were ribbing him a bit and he was giving it right back with expletive this, and radioedit that and it was the most entertaining part of the show. It was real.

They come back from commercial and Trico says something snarky, like well Jaws, Coach Gruden here has some experience with the "Tuck Rule", and he sugar-coated it and walked his way through it, and it was no where near as good as his real feelings.

That's not up to the personality though. Polian and Gruden can't just say whatever they like. Their producers tell them that the show is G rated and intended to be appropriate for all ages. If they start dropping swears all the time, not only will people be offended, the guys themselves could also lose their jobs, and the FCC would get all up in the network's case.

That's not up to the personality though. Polian and Gruden can't just say whatever they like. Their producers tell them that the show is G rated and intended to be appropriate for all ages. If they start dropping swears all the time, not only will people be offended, the guys themselves could also lose their jobs, and the FCC would get all up in the network's case.

MNF for example is on cable.. So there are pretty salty things that one can hear on cable at 10pm, I'm not talking HBO/Showtime salty, but George Carlin would be proud. With that said, the game is on a delay for a reason. I'm not suggesting that Gruden should go on some rant where 43.7% of his words are bleeped out.

Even on network TV, things are said on a daily basis, that aren't edited.

I don't see the issue. People that want to watch football are going to watch it. If a word or two here and there turn them off that much then, they will change the channel anyway, because the field mics pick up swear words from players quite often during the game.

You really don't like Polian, eh? I don't get all the Polian hate on here. Sure, he didn't do everything right, but show me anyone in the NFL who has done everything right. Polian built winning teams in Indy, Buffalo, and Carolina, not to mention all of his success in the CFL. He did make some mistakes, but without him, the Colts wouldn't be anywhere near what they are today. The man did a lot for the franchise and to say he turn into his "old boorish self" and say his demeanor was as though "he was berating an employee" are very strong and harsh comments. When has Polian ever been boorish? When he has ever berated one of his employees?

Oh on the contrary, I love the old guy - sorry if my post sounded snarky as that wasn't the intent, I'm fond of Polian in a Bob Knight sort of way and sad he's gone simply because I miss that era and can't believe how long ago it feels like already

And let's be real, the guy was notorious for being boorish, from run ins with Jets employees, to being condescending, rude and confrontational on his radio show to callers then there's the various grumblings over the years about the culture at Colts HQ

Phil Wilson alludes to some of that http://www.stampedeb...-of-terror-ends

Well... thanks, but you left a lot out.

Like, what did the two sides say?

Bayless is an embarrassingly HUGE Tebow fan. So, I'm sure he talked him up.

Then, what did Polian say? What were the disagreements with Bayless?

Details! Details! Details! We want details!!! Give 'em up!!!

Wasn't much was just the flashes of Polian that came out

Started with Polian arguing about Tebow reminds him of John Riggins and Skip scoffed at the idea that they're anything alike (which I agree with) and that it's also an insult to Tebow because it's another back-handed insult at him not being able to play QB, but Polian was adamant and insisted Tebow has legitimate skills for a RB on tape

Skip then started his usual diatribe of how Tebow could be a successful QB in the NFL and went on his usual Tebow rant for 5min, then Polian said he can't win football games because he isn't a good passer etc. etc. Skip keeps talking over him then Polian has enough and raises his hands above the desk demonstratively "HEY!" to silence Skip (which he quickly does) then the hands point at himself "I got paid to win games right?" then they traded arguments with Polian sounding irritated for half of it

Wasn't much ..just in those brief instances you could see some of the old Bill we all know and love

...or another person just didn't care for Bayless. If Polian ever is brusque with anyone, Skip is clearly deserving of Bill's ire.

People just get stuck in their ways:

Bill gets fed up with Skip, therefore Bill has an attitude issue.

Brown misses a block once, suddenly he can isn't a good blocker.

Any coach ever makes a poor coaching decision, and he is showing shades of Jim Caldwell.

In my case, it's one of those "I don't like you, but I respect you" things, as far as Indy. I don't like the way our winning team was built, but I had to respect it because it worked. You can't hate on something that works, regardless of how it was built. So I respect the guy for what he did here, I won't take anything away from his accomplishments, but I will quickly criticize him on putting so much pressure on one player when he's had multiple times to not do so.

And to touch up on the "we wouldn't be where we are without him and what he did" is kind of double sided. Yeah, he did help us win a championship and a lot records and wins and accolades, BUT he did kind of build a team that could not survive without Peyton Manning or barely win with even playing. I won't go into detail about this because I've had countless arguments about this in the past but you know what I mean, lol.

In my case, it's one of those "I don't like you, but I respect you" things, as far as Indy. I don't like the way our winning team was built, but I had to respect it because it worked. You can't hate on something that works, regardless of how it was built. So I respect the guy for what he did here, I won't take anything away from his accomplishments, but I will quickly criticize him on putting so much pressure on one player when he's had multiple times to not do so.

And to touch up on the "we wouldn't be where we are without him and what he did" is kind of double sided. Yeah, he did help us win a championship and a lot records and wins and accolades, BUT he did kind of build a team that could not survive without Peyton Manning or barely win with even playing. I won't go into detail about this because I've had countless arguments about this in the past but you know what I mean, lol.

I agree it's double sided. Problem is you can't please everyone. Polian spent a lot of early round picks putting talent around Peyton and people were mad that they didn't spend high round picks on the defense. Then Peyton went to Denver and people were mad at how Elway's top choice was Derek Wolfe and how he traded out of the first round, claiming that he should surround Peyton with talent.

I agree it's double sided. Problem is you can't please everyone. Polian spent a lot of early round picks putting talent around Peyton and people were mad that they didn't spend high round picks on the defense. Then Peyton went to Denver and people were mad at how Elway's top choice was Derek Wolfe and how he traded out of the first round, claiming that he should surround Peyton with talent.

Agree, but it's a difference between "Giving" Peyton talent and "surrounding" him with talent. When it was the time when we had a good WR core, probably the best Oline, that was the time to "surround" Peyton with talent and yes it should have been on the defense. But when those 2 things started to get worse, it was time to give him talent. Unfortunately, Polian goofed on some picks, like when he passed up on Hakeem Nicks or Bowman.

then people are stupid...denver already had thomas, decker, stokley, two solid tight ends and very good oline....they just needed a real qb.

then people are stupid...denver already had thomas, decker, stokley, two solid tight ends and very good oline....they just needed a real qb.

Not necessarily. Decker is solid, but Stokley is old. As for Thomas, people have claimed that he is somewhat overrated and that he only looked good in college because of a spread offense. McGahee is old too. I'm not saying you're right or wrong or that those people are right or wrong, but it just shows that you can't please everyone.

Not necessarily. Decker is solid, but Stokley is old. As for Thomas, people have claimed that he is somewhat overrated and that he only looked good in college because of a spread offense. McGahee is old too. I'm not saying you're right or wrong or that those people are right or wrong, but it just shows that you can't please everyone.

well, after watching the broncos this year those people were clearly wrong

Anyone watch First Take today where it sort of got a little uncomfortably heated between Bill and Skip while they were arguing over Tim Tebow?

Polian's done a remarkable job of creating his media personality - polite, engaging, diplomatic and tactful ..as opposed to how we remember him really being

But I smiled when I saw a flash of the familar Polian we remember as Colts fans, Polian's manufactured smile faded and his demeanour changed for an instance to his old boorish self and as if he was berating an employee, but to Skip's credit he wasn't intimidated

Polian's media-senses returned and he broke out the fake smile and Dr.Jekyll reasserted itself but it was awesome and nostalgic seeing that, knowing at heart he's still the same old crank

I saw that. I thouhgt he was going to drag his 70-year-old silk suit butt across that table and slap the Tebow out of Skip's mouth

..and I have to admit..Skip is the TV Polian

Bill Polian did all you said he did...and I'm grateful to him.....but he treated fans and media like Skip Bayless treats the truth...with utter disregard...

I like the Bill Polian I see on TV and I thin he has great credibility........but its not eitehr /or....they virtualy had a week-long celebration at Colts HQ 'when he was fired.

I dont work there but reports say he wanst a niceman to those who worked under him..does anyone disagree/

well, after watching the broncos this year those people were clearly wrong

You never know. Their defense might collapse or they might be like the former Colts teams with a strong offense and seemingly good defense, but then they crumble in the playoffs. We'll see how it goes. So far, it's worked out well for Peyton and the Broncos.

You never know. Their defense might collapse or they might be like the former Colts teams with a strong offense and seemingly good defense, but then they crumble in the playoffs. We'll see how it goes. So far, it's worked out well for Peyton and the Broncos.

i was referring to the offense. the defense i'm not sold on, although they looked good last night.

How can you assert that we "wouldn't" be where we are today? For all we know, we could have ended up with much better players, I think that we can all agree we wouldn't have ended up with worse players. Aside from taking Manning #1 overall, we have missed other opportunities for big home runs.

How can you assert that we "wouldn't" be where we are today? For all we know, we could have ended up with much better players, I think that we can all agree we wouldn't have ended up with worse players. Aside from taking Manning #1 overall, we have missed other opportunities for big home runs.

All of those teams have missed opportunities for big home runs. But Polian has been able to find really good talent at later rounds. Garcon, Saturday, Bethea, Brackett, the list goes on. I'm fully confident that we wouldn't be as storied a franchise as we are now if we didn't have Polian.

• 1 month later...