Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bethea, Collie, Gonzo & Peyton Have All Been Ruled Out Against The Bengals.

bayone

as suspected, starters Antoine Bethea, Austin Collie, and Peyton Manning have all been ruled out against the Bengals. Anthony Gonzalez will also be unable to compete.

This confirms that if the team is going to keep Gonzalez around, it will have to do so based upon the work he’s been able to do in training camp and careful consideration about the status of his current injury.

My link

I wonder if Gonzo not playing will give the front office more to talk about when cuts come around. I personally think he will make the roster regardless since this is his make or break year. He is also a very cheap player to keep around and another one of those low risk/high reward type of situations we have been taking advantage of.

I wonder if Gonzo not playing will give the front office more to talk about when cuts come around. I personally think he will make the roster regardless since this is his make or break year. He is also a very cheap player to keep around and another one of those low risk/high reward type of situations we have been taking advantage of.

Good point about cheap player. He is a cheap player that could produce 60+ catches, 800+ yards and 10 plus TDs.

Like you said, low risk/high reward.

And we have to weigh the other option of cutting Gonzo and bringing up another one of our receivers. Gilreath and Brooks are probably the most likely candidates. Gonzo has a very big edge when compared to these two players because he should have TONS more knowledge of the offense. Sure he hasn't played much in his injury ridden career, but he should be very comfortable with Peyton's audibles and just the play-calling in general. I should hope he was studying everything the offense was doing while he was in street clothes for most of his career. These younger guys haven't even received a pass from Manning in either a pre-season or regular season game.

I also don't even think Gonzo would be utilized early in the season anyway. There has been a lot of talk and experimentation with the 2TE sets in the pre-season. I think we will stick a lot with this formation until Peyton is back to 100%. Couple that with the low risk/high reward scenario I talked about previously and the seemingly inability for the front office to release 1st round picks, and I think it just makes sense to keep Gonzo until he suffers a more serious injury.

The other option would be to bring in someone like TJ Houshmandzadeh or a similar veteran. I think we only have roughly $3M left in cap room. I seasoned veteran like TJ would consume nearly all of our remaining cap room. Sure he has experience, but he does not know the playbook like Gonzo does. That could take him a long time into the season to fully learn it so the Colts and utilize him. Also, What if we suffer two injuries at the LB position *knock on wood*? If we spent all of our money on a veteran receiver like TJ, we would have no money to address these glaring needs in the middle of the season.

Having said all of this, I say keep our remaining cap money in case someone goes down during the regular season. Keep Gonzo around because he has more knowledge than any of his potential replacements and just hope he stays healthy.

Where have you been? He got hurt on the first long run in the 'skins game. He didn't play at all against the Pack.

It's just a hamstring pull so no big deal, just needs rest. I'd bet if this were a regular season game, Bethea would be playing.

haha ive been busy getting ready for school. must have missed that news. thanks for the info

Just watched the Caldwell interview on Colts.com from yesterday and he sent some mixed signals regarding. A reporter asked about if it's tough to evaluate Gonzo because he hasn't been on the field. For about 15 seconds he raved about Gonzo, said you know what you get with him, smart, fast, great hands, route runner, great runner after the catch, etc. etc. Just listening to this part I would guarantee that Gonzo will not be cut.

Then he said, and he made a point that this was just a general comment not specific to Gonzo, that everything, including injuries is taken into account he even quoted Dungy that, "the most important ability is availability." Again stressing that that is a general comment not specific to Gonzo. Listening to this part I would guarantee that Gonzo will be cut.

He then ended with something about it's a long season and they make their decision based on if they think that player will be there for the season. As it relates to Gonzo, I took that as they are not worried about his preseason injury they feel he will be available for the season. But I don't know.

I was a rb/wr had hammy issues and they are a very nagging annoying thing can come back if not treated correctly.

Yeah, CB/WR here (a long time ago). Hadn't had a hammy problem for over 20 years until I started doing interval training this year. Serves me right for even trying to sprint. Where do I need to get to that fast anyway?