Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bill Polian On Hall of Fame "Long List"

sb41champs

The Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio recently released their official "long list" of players, coaches and contributers who are eligible for induction in to the Hall August 2013 !!

Six-time "NFL Executive of the Year" - and - former Colts President & General Manager - Bill Polian - is officially eligible for induction as a "contributor" !!

What exactly does "contributor" mean? Like he is eligible for the HOF?

It's a catch-all category for nominees who weren't players or coaches. So, mostly commissioners, owners, and team executives, plus some others. So, along with Polian, other nominees in the contributor category include Robert Kraft, Art Modell, Paul Tagliabue, Bud Adams, Steve Sabol, and George Young.

Yes, he's very much eligible for the Hall of Fame.

The Hall has some front office types in there... GM's and owners....

Polian will surely get in.... the question is not 'if'.... it's a question of 'when'...

But it will happen....

The relief the staff within the Colts org felt when he was fired tells me he does not deserve this. Week 16 should be his legacy, not landing lucky with a couple of legendary QB's......

Come on now.... That's two separate issues.

He wore out his welcome with the Colts. Fine.

But....

He built the Buffalo Bills that went to the Super Bowl 4 straight times.

He built the Colts that went to the Super Bowl twice and won once.

He built the Carolina Panthers that went to the Super Bowl once.

He's the 6-time NFL executive of the year. Polian is a slam dunk to get in.

Again, it's only a matter of 'when' and not 'if'...

As he should be. I know people not like how things ended with him here but there is no denying that the man had a Hall of Fame worthy career turning two losing franchises into NFL models for winning (one by being the only team in NFL history to go to four straight Super Bowls and the other won at a level never seen before in the NFL over the course of a decade) and building an expansion team that got to the Conference title game in it's second year is very impressive.

Probably that he's not a head coach/player which are the most common categories someone would go in as. It's a catch all to catch people who deserve it but don't fit into those two groups. It's how you get guys like owners, GMs, Comishs, and even the guy who started NFL Films in.

But....

The hate some have will always trump what a great job he did for the Colts for some. Sad really.

But....

nicely put

It's a catch-all category for nominees who weren't players or coaches. So, mostly commissioners, owners, and team executives, plus some others. So, along with Polian, other nominees in the contributor category include Robert Kraft, Art Modell, Paul Tagliabue, Bud Adams, Steve Sabol, and George Young.

Sabol should be guaranteed a spot.

The hate some have will always trump what a great job he did for the Colts for some. Sad really.

I'm only trying to defend Polian from a Big Picture perspective.... his entire career, his entire body of work.

I really do get that many -- even most -- are happy that he's no longer running the show here. He wore out his welcome. Hey, that happens in sports, even to people who go to the Hall of Fame. Sometimes the marriage just doesn't work anymore.This was one of those times.

OK, I understand. I would never try to say otherwise.

But the man's entire career is incredibly impressive. Just the way the Super Bowl trophy is the Vince Lombardi trophy, the NFL Executive of the Year trophy may someday be called the Bill Polian award.

(I know that's going to be creepy for some in Indianapolis) But the man has had quite a career.

I'm only trying to show the Big Picture..... that's all.... :hide::peek:

I'm only trying to defend Polian from a Big Picture perspective.... his entire career, his entire body of work.

I really do get that many -- even most -- are happy that he's no longer running the show here. He wore out his welcome. Hey, that happens in sports, even to people who go to the Hall of Fame. Sometimes the marriage just doesn't work anymore.This was one of those times.

But the man's entire career is incredibly impressive. Just the way the Super Bowl trophy is the Vince Lombardi trophy, the NFL Executive of the Year trophy may someday be called the Bill Polian award.

(I know that's going to be creepy for some in Indianapolis) But the man has had quite a career.

I think he was just more or less saying he agreed with your point and was more or less really directing his response to the same person you were.

Maybe not the hate. Maybe a realisation re the tyrant that he was. And if you really watched the capitulation v the Jets, and applauded it, then wow. He disgraced this great franchise, and yet you bow. Not my gig, sorry. Manning or Leaf. Flip.

The relief the staff within the Colts org felt when he was fired tells me he does not deserve this. Week 16 should be his legacy, not landing lucky with a couple of legendary QB's......

I dunno....there's an awful lot of Super Bowls under that mans watch.

I know I completely agree with you. His entire career has been a success full one. Not many can say they've been to six super bowls.

Maybe not the hate. Maybe a realisation re the tyrant that he was. And if you really watched the capitulation v the Jets, and applauded it, then wow. He disgraced this great franchise, and yet you bow. Not my gig, sorry. Manning or Leaf. Flip.

I didn't enjoy the 14-0 sit just like the rest. Going 16-0 might have changed the fabric of time, and we might have won the Super Bowl. It's not like we were facing a New York Giants that were capable of spoiling perfect. It was the Saints, they got lucky, and if football was played in series like hockey, baseball, and basketball we probably win 90 times out of 100.

When it comes to big profile people they get the most blame when something goes wrong, and the least praise when they go right.

One thing doesn't spoil the best success in a decade for me though.