Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Poll: Since it's about the draft....

bluephantom87

Since it's about the draft....  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What type of players do you want Ballard to lean towards?

• Athletic with size?
    • Best available regardless of position?
    • Ones from dominant conferences?
    • Diamonds in the rough?
    • Undersized with speed?
    • Or aggressive "kill shot" type of guys?

Athletic with size like Quincy Wilson 

I want a fast but enforcing defense. The finesse defense Colts had back in the day where MJD and Arian Foster use to have HOF games can stay in the past. Give me a team that’s long, fast, and some hitters. 

10 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

Athletic with size like Quincy Wilson 

I want a fast but enforcing defense. The finesse defense Colts had back in the day where MJD and Arian Foster use to have HOF games can stay in the past. Give me a team that’s long, fast, and some hitters. 

Agree totally. Kind of like what the Seahawks were with the LOB! 

Ballard is smart. He knows atleast 3 qbs are gonna be drafted within the first 5 picks with the browns jets broncos and most likely the giants all taking QBs leaving us in prime position to get the player we want. Worst case scenario is Chubb and Barkley are off the board leaving us in perfect position to take Fitzpatrick, Ward, Nelson, or Edmunds

2 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

If chubb or nelson not at 6 u think CB trades down as should for bills 12 and 21? Denver has any better 2nd rounders position then jets? 

I think Ballard's got on record saying he'd rather stay in the top ten so most likely not. I can envision us possibly trading up if say Connor Williams falls

Best available although you do have to take need into account.  However you do NOT stretch too far to get it.  I think if Nelson and Chubb are gone, I would have no problem trading with Buffalo for their 2 1st rounders. I would want another pick as well although we would already be almost 400 points ahead per the chart.  But leaving that good of a draft spot, I would either take the 96th pick or a 2019 2nd rounder.  Otherwise, it would be a no go.  Or I just stay at 6 and take Fitzpatrick.

Fitzpatrick, opposite Wilson, with Hairston in nickel. Hooker and Geathers at safety. Green, Farley, Desir, and Milton backing up. We just improved our pass rush. I know they play secondary, but most will know what I'm talking about.

15 minutes ago, Matabix said:

Fitzpatrick, opposite Wilson, with Hairston in nickel. Hooker and Geathers at safety. Green, Farley, Desir, and Milton backing up. We just improved our pass rush. I know they play secondary, but most will know what I'm talking about.

sorry but I don't understand what your talking about. it usually works the other way around. a good pass rush improves the db's.

if your trying to say that these players are all probowl you have no case for that. both Geathers and Hooker were injured so don't know for certain how they will jell together. Wilson didn't hardly play and Fitz is an unknown at the next level (think Trent)

45 minutes ago, reidaj1812 said:

sorry but I don't understand what your talking about. it usually works the other way around. a good pass rush improves the db's.

if your trying to say that these players are all probowl you have no case for that. both Geathers and Hooker were injured so don't know for certain how they will jell together. Wilson didn't hardly play and Fitz is an unknown at the next level (think Trent)

Works both ways, the longer the dbs can cover better chance for the dl ti get to the qb. Quicker dl can get to qb, shorter time dbs have to cover.

30 minutes ago, Matabix said:

Works both ways, the longer the dbs can cover better chance for the dl ti get to the qb. Quicker dl can get to qb, shorter time dbs have to cover.

Without a pass rush or pressure it is impossible for DBs to cover receivers with the rules in place that favors the offense. Just ask Brady how pressure and sacks effect the game.

55 minutes ago, atapcl said:

Stay at 6 and take Barkley, Chubb or Nelson. The Chubb mentioned is the DE but I’d like us to use one of the 2nd round picks on the RB Chubb.

Barkley will not be there at pick #6. If the Browns take their QB at #1 and Barkley is there at #4 they will take him.

If the Giants are truly going with Eli it's quite possible they take Barkley at #2.

IMO it needs to be Chubb if he is there.

Difficult to answer your question, because my answer depends upon the the position.  Or offense vs defense.

However, if we're talking defense, and you want my overall requirement for any player on that defense, I would say Aggression and Experience.

Aggression - I want someone who is intimidating.  Who comes after you like he hated you from his old neighborhood.  If he's going to commit a penalty, it's one of aggression and not laziness in technique.  I prefer a late hit to an offsides or holding.  There's literally steam coming out of his ears, waiting for the snap.

Experience - The guy's gotta have a body of work playing this exact position.  I don't want him just now trying to figure out what he's doing.  That was the issue with TJ Green.  He's got these great measurables in height and speed, but he bounced around at Clemson between WR, CB, and Safety.  When he got here, what could he do?  What did he know how to do?  Well...  He can be a gunner on special teams, because he has the speed.

Overall, when I have the choice, I want someone who has that One Thing that's off the charts.  I don't want someone who is "pretty good" at everything.  Bjorn Werner was like that.  Or, more recently, Charles Harris in last year's draft was like that.  Pretty good in everything, but not great in anything.

I'd rather have a Dwight Freeney, who was undersized but had off the charts receiver speed.  Or Bob Sanders, who was small at 5-8, but had arms the size of your legs, frightening speed, and left you dazed any time he hit you.  Give me that One Thing.  I'll teach you the rest of the game.

We need to draft BPA. Nelson and Chubb are BPA most likely for us at 6, take one of them if they fall. Continue to take BPA the rest of the draft (as long as it's not at QB or something silly). Two 1st round picks should fall to our first two 2nds and we can grab them. Continue to go BPA the rest of the draft and the quality of the team will grow from just this draft. Almost everything is a need in some way. It goes hand and hand right now. That's how poor the talent on this team is on both offense and defense.

Nice answers... I should've also added system type of guys which seem to work for the hated Pats. Hopefully everyone is on the same page within the organization and our new coaching staff will get their desired type of players to implement their system to success. One thing I wish for are some "nasty" type of players with the bring the pain mentality on the field. A guy who can size you up, stop you dead in your tracks and finish by planting you into the ground. That can apply on BOTH sides of the ball (for an o-lineman it's called a pancake) because this team needs to become way more physical.  As @lollygagger8 pointed out Grigson TRIED with a couple of "kill shot" types BUT they lacked the basic fundamentals of wrapping up and driving through an opponent which is KEY to tackling. Too many guys now a days simply want to fly in blindly (head down) throwing a shoulder which sometimes lead to injuring their OWN teammates. Give me a Bob Sanders with size. Bob could lay the wood but unfortunately with his small stature he also took the brunt of those hits leading to an injury plagued career.