Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Defjamz Offseason Mock with FA

With this I’m taking too account the rumored coaching changes and us switching to a 4-3.

FA

Sign: Justin Pugh, OG

Sign: Corey Lattimore, WR

Sign: Trumaine Johnson, CB

Draft:

*Indy trades number 3 overall pick to the Cleveland for their number 4 and number 35 that they got from Houston. Cleveland takes Barkley *

R1: Bradley Chubb, DE 

R2: Will Hernandez, OG 

R2: Leighton Vander Esch, ILB

R3: Jerome Baker, ILB

R4: Royce Freeman, RB

R5: Adam Breneman, TE

R6: Zachary Crabtree, OT

R7: Quenton Meeks, CB

The Colts are able to fix the OL by adding two quality guards. RT will figure itself out, but better playcalling should help.

They key of switching to the 4-3 will be the draft. We get Chubb and now with Basham you have future bookends at DE and depth behind Sheard and Simon. And our ILBs have no speed or athleticism. Leighton is the starter at MLB as he is athletic and has amazing instincts. Baker is super athletic and can play the Will OLB role. He’s a moveable piece. Freeman is the type of back that McDaniels can get creative with. He can run inside, out, and catch. Breneman will give MD a TE to pair with Doyle to create mismatches with. The rest of the players are depth.

I’m going to assume you tried to sign Norwell and it didn’t work out lol. 

BUT this is a great mock and FA. I love it. Chubb is very Joey Bosa like, he needs to be our first pick. Will Hernandez is a stud at guard. And I like both LBs, Jerome had an inconsistent season but he’s sideline to sideline. 

Would prefer Rojo, Michel, Chubb, Penny or Kelly over Royce; but that’s just nitpicking. Good stuff

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

With this I’m taking too account the rumored coaching changes and us switching to a 4-3.

FA

Draft:

*Indy trades number 3 overall pick to the Cleveland for their number 4 and number 35 that they got from Houston. Cleveland takes Barkley *

The Colts are able to fix the OL by adding two quality guards. RT will figure itself out, but better playcalling should help.

They key of switching to the 4-3 will be the draft. We get Chubb and now with Basham you have future bookends at DE and depth behind Sheard and Simon. And our ILBs have no speed or athleticism. Leighton is the starter at MLB as he is athletic and has amazing instincts. Baker is super athletic and can play the Will OLB role. He’s a moveable piece. Freeman is the type of back that McDaniels can get creative with. He can run inside, out, and catch. Breneman will give MD a TE to pair with Doyle to create mismatches with. The rest of the players are depth.

I don’t believe it’s a forgone conclusion that we will change to a 4-3 base even if the cowboys lb coach comes here as our DC unless I’ve missed an article. 

50 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Mods, please move to Draft section 

Are you worried about Pugh's back? It concerns me. I'd like to go higher up the food chain then Lattimore but I do like him. I like the draft it looks very  similar to what I have going. the first 2 days. I also have Chubb and Hernandez.

Then in the 3rd especially after landing an ILB with our extra second.  I'd take. WR Dante Pettis from Washington. I have been trying to find a way to slip him in. I watch a lot of west coast college ball and really like Pettis. He's 6'1 so he has the size Ballard looks for and runs good routes. The kids a play maker he steps in day 1 and makes us dangerous on punt returns. He has the NCAA record  for returns for touchdowns and PAC 12 for yardage. He may end up going earlier after the combine. 

7 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I don’t believe it’s a forgone conclusion that we will change to a 4-3 base even if the cowboys lb coach comes here as our DC unless I’ve missed an article. 

Eberflus runs a 4-3 and and does a lot of 4-2 looks as well so I assume it’d only make sense for him to go with what he’s been running recently.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

FA

Draft:

Isn't the 35 a little high of price for moving up one spot, also why would they move up one spot to get Barkley? I would think we get a 3rd and a 5th or a 3rd and a 4th. 

3 minutes ago, masnerj said:

Isn't the 35 a little high of price for moving up one spot, also why would they move up one spot to get Barkley? I would think we get a 3rd and a 5th or a 3rd and a 4th. 

It's not high too high a price at all if another team wants to move up too.  

25 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Eberflus runs a 4-3 and and does a lot of 4-2 looks as well so I assume it’d only make sense for him to go with what he’s been running recently.

From what I’ve read though, he has worked equally with a 3-4 in the past as well. So I’d assume the hybrid 3-4 base. I’d hate to think we have to retool the entire group of dline and lb’ers again when we have so many needs on the offense as well. Let’s hope the new DC can adapt to the players we have and not making them conform to a 4-3 scheme. 

3 hours ago, Clem-Dog said:

Who else you thinking about moving up to the 3?

Cleveland is going up for Barkley and NOT one of the QBs (probably Allen) which other teams like DEN and NJ need and are desperate for. We would take that deal before one with Cleveland. We drop a little more down (get Nelson a mauler, or Minkah a versatile guy) AND grab a haul with a future 1st and a 2nd atleast from this draft. That would set up nicely this draft and next AND we still get a above-average starter (or All-Pro in Nelson's case). 

Quality might be greater than Quantity in most cases, but in this case we need Quantity to shore up the entire team talent level, we need more picks for that. 

9 hours ago, Clem-Dog said:

No because they have the 1st pick of the first round anyways. Plus they’re moving up for Barkley, who increases the value of that pick. Since the Colts have no specific needs, that pick will be worth it’s weight in gold because of the QBs.

11 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

I want the Goedert kid at tight end. 

He’s a 1st or 2nd rounder and I’m not willing to spend that type of capital on a TE. 

10 hours ago, akcolt said:

Are you worried about Pugh's back? It concerns me. I'd like to go higher up the food chain then Lattimore but I do like him. I like the draft it looks very  similar to what I have going. the first 2 days. I also have Chubb and Hernandez.

Then in the 3rd especially after landing an ILB with our extra second.  I'd take. WR Dante Pettis from Washington. I have been trying to find a way to slip him in. I watch a lot of west coast college ball and really like Pettis. He's 6'1 so he has the size Ballard looks for and runs good routes. The kids a play maker he steps in day 1 and makes us dangerous on punt returns. He has the NCAA record  for returns for touchdowns and PAC 12 for yardage. He may end up going earlier after the combine. 

Is his back chronic? Haven’t heard too much about it. I’ll have to watch Pettis. I agree that we need a Reggie Wayne type possession receiver.

8 hours ago, masnerj said:

Who else you thinking about moving up to the 3?

Cleveland is going up for Barkley and NOT one of the QBs (probably Allen) which other teams like DEN and NJ need and are desperate for. We would take that deal before one with Cleveland. We drop a little more down (get Nelson a mauler, or Minkah a versatile guy) AND grab a haul with a future 1st and a 2nd atleast from this draft. That would set up nicely this draft and next AND we still get a above-average starter (or All-Pro in Nelson's case). 

Quality might be greater than Quantity in most cases, but in this case we need Quantity to shore up the entire team talent level, we need more picks for that. 

Could be Cleveland at 4, Denver at 5 or Jets at 6 if QB is the target.  Or it could be 4, 5, 6, Tampa at 7 or San Fran at 9 if Barkley is the target.  

15 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think he's run a lot of that due to the Monte Kiffin/Rod Marinelli influence on the Cowboys.  Mcdaniels may have something else in mind.  Eberflus is well versed in 3-4 schemes as well.  I'm expecting it to be multiple.

12 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

He’s a 1st or 2nd rounder and I’m not willing to spend that type of capital on a TE. 

Is his back chronic? Haven’t heard too much about it. I’ll have to watch Pettis. I agree that we need a Reggie Wayne type possession receiver.

I'm not sure Pettis is what you'd think of as a possession receiver. He's expected to run a 4.3 at the combine. If that happens it could push him up boards to where I'm no longer comfortable taking him. We have holes that need to be addressed in the draft and WR can be handled in FA and day 3. I'd really like to find a real threat on returns and he'd definitely give us that.

2 hours ago, akcolt said:

I'm not sure Pettis is what you'd think of as a possession receiver. He's expected to run a 4.3 at the combine. If that happens it could push him up boards to where I'm no longer comfortable taking him. We have holes that need to be addressed in the draft and WR can be handled in FA and day 3. I'd really like to find a real threat on returns and he'd definitely give us that.

At 6’1” running a 4.3, he’s an outside burner. That’s basically TY. We need to draft someone who isn’t TY. Either a big tall vertical threat or a average size possession receiver to move the chains.