Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The greatest NFL coach of all time

oldunclemark

....he coached from 1920 to 1929  and his record was 84-31-19

......he coached again from 1933 to 1942 and his record was 84-22-4

...he coached a third time from 1946 to 1955 and his record was 75-42-2

.......he coached a fourth time from 1958 to 1967 and his record was 75-53-6 

His all-time record was 318-146-31. He had six losing seasons in 36 seasons..

His teams won six NFL titles.  he founded, played for and owned the franchise he coached.

He is also credited with founding the National Football League.

He is not Vince Lombardi, Paul Brown, Don Shula or Bill Belichik.

He is George Halas.  The greatest coach in the history of the NFL.

Edited by oldunclemark
spell

3 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

....he coached from 1920 to 1929  and his record was 84-31-19

......he coached again from 1933 to 1942 and his record was 84-22-4

...he coached a third time from 1946 to 1955 and his record was 75-42-2

.......he coached a fourth time from 1958 to 1967 and his record was 75-53-6 

His all-time record was 318-146-31. He had six losing seasons in 36 seasons..

His teams won six NFL titles.  he founded, played for and owned the franchise he coached.

He is also credited with founding the National Football League.

He is not Vince Lombardi, Paul Brown, Don Shula or Bill Belichik.

He is George Halas.  The greatest coach in the history of the NFL.

You know there are so many who refuse to acknowledge that the NFL didn't start till 1967.

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

You know there are so many who refuse to acknowledge that the NFL didn't start till 1967.

Yeah there is literally no sport besides football that's like that.  MLB has expanded from 12 to 30 plus , Hockey 6 to about the same.  But for some reason,  when the NFL added AFL teams,  that made the title so much more important people act like football before 1970 didn't exist.  You don't hear about World Series being  any lesser in any era.  

22 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

IMO Bill Belichick is the best of all-time. I don't like the 2 cheating scandals = SpyGate and DeflateGate but he is the only Coach to have 5 SB wins. He has also made 12 Finals 4's after last nights win. He is doing this during an era of Free Agency.

I would argue that the 'scandals' were the NFL trying to slow the Patriots since the draft, free agency, and the salary cap could not.  No detracting from any of the others.  Belichick stands on the shoulders of giants.

6 minutes ago, wizwor said:

I would argue that the 'scandals' were the NFL trying to slow the Patriots since the draft, free agency, and the salary cap could not.  No detracting from any of the others.  Belichick stands on the shoulders of giants.

Yeah I have watched Football since the late 70's so have even seen a lot of Knoll and Landry in action. I have seen Shula, Walsh, Gibbs, Parcells, Jimmy Johnson, etc.. None of them are better than Bill IMO. As much as I like Dungy he really isn't even close to BB.

1 hour ago, wizwor said:

That is a big load of horse dung.

Has anyone considered this?  BB is considered greater because he excelled in the era of free agency where you have to manage cap space and are continually losing players to FA.  However, how do we know he would have excelled before free agency when teams amassed great talent and were able to hold on those players.  We don't know that Bill would have gpcreated a dynasty when the 49ers were one.  He couldn't have beaten the 85 Bears I bet.

Belichick has a lot of asterisks on his record.  You can’t deny his football IQ though and the way he has his players prepared.  His attention to detail and the way he demands that throughout the organization is similar to how Bill Walsh ran the 49ers.  In a lot of ways both Bills are similar and I think Walsh has to be mentioned up there with the all time greats.  

5 hours ago, wizwor said:

wait, wait wait, now I'm confused....I thought the NFL was helping the pats by making sure the refs give them every call?

that's one diabolical plan, slow them down, but then  help them to get back where they were, even though you never slowed them down in the first place....genius!

43 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't see how anyone can really debate that BB isn't the best ever. Hard to debate Tom isn't the best ever QB as well, they both have a lot to do with their success. I would take Peyton in an all-time Draft over Tom because to me Peyton can carry a team more by himself but Tom is the more accomplished winner.

I may take Aaron Rogers over both 

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

IMO Bill Belichick is the best of all-time. I don't like the 2 cheating scandals = SpyGate and DeflateGate but he is the only Coach to have 5 SB wins. He has also made 12 Finals 4's after last nights win. He is doing this during an era of Free Agency.

Belichik's record doesnt match Halas..Neither does Lombardi's.

Halas won them all with one team. He was Founder, owner and GM even in the 60s.

Halas did it in an era when players simply quit and walked away...

he did it with a dozen QBs...

Halas has 6 NFL titles.....in an era when finishing second in the conference did not make the playoffs.

4 successful stints in four different decades with four different groups of players.   4 eras

The depression years..War years.....Into the 1960s..

he kept the team together. he kept the franchise together. And forget free agency....he started the NFL and kept the league together

Its really not close when you think about it

36 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Belichik's record doesnt match Halas..Neither does Lombardi's.

Halas won them all with one team. He was Founder, owner and GM even in the 60s.

Halas did it in an era when players simply quit and walked away...

he did it with a dozen QBs...

Halas has 6 NFL titles.....in an era when finishing second in the conference did not make the playoffs.

4 successful stints in four different decades with four different groups of players.   4 eras

The depression years..War years.....Into the 1960s..

he kept the team together. he kept the franchise together. And forget free agency....he started the NFL and kept the league together

Its really not close when you think about it

It's really almost impossible to compare any Coach or Player before the SB era to those in the SB era. Just a different time. I am not saying nothing should count before the SB era but once the SB era started the league was much more put together structure wise. More teams, better technology, better athletes as far as bigger and faster players started to really evolve in the 70's and 80's. Also when it comes to Knoll and Walsh for example, they never had to deal with Free Agency so they could win 3 or 4 SB's easier. Free Agency tore the Cowboys apart in the 90's after they won their 3rd SB. To BB's credit he hasn't let Free Agency even phase his success. BB is easily the best ever in the SB era anyway, JMO.

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It's really almost impossible to compare any Coach or Player before the SB era to those in the SB era. Just a different time. I am not saying nothing should count before the SB era but once the SB era started the league was much more put together structure wise. More teams, better technology, better athletes as far as bigger and faster players started to really evolve in the 70's and 80's. Also when it comes to Knoll and Walsh for example, they never had to deal with Free Agency so they could win 3 or 4 SB's easier. Free Agency tore the Cowboys apart in the 90's after they won their 3rd SB. To BB's credit he hasn't let Free Agency even phase his success. BB is easily the best ever in the SB era anyway, JMO.

It is hard to compare players of different eras..bt not coaches..

You either can lead or you cant. You organize or you cant.

You discipline, train and adjust or you cant.

Halas coached in multiple eras and again..he was coach and GM and owner over almost 40 years.

Time tore Halas teams apart much more than free agency.  He coached in four different decades with four completely different teams. World War II was the ultimate free agency. Halas took three completely different teams to the NFL title in three different decades.

It isn't tougher to coach today than it was then because players are better. I would insist that coaching is coaching.

If you say that Belichik is the best of the Super Bowl era, that's an honor with an arbitrary sign post.

I hear the phrase 'the greatest NFL coach of all time' thrown around and that guy is George Halas. By any statistical barometer, degree of difficulty...or test of time

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't see how anyone can really debate that BB isn't the best ever. Hard to debate Tom isn't the best ever QB as well, they both have a lot to do with their success. I would take Peyton in an all-time Draft over Tom because to me Peyton can carry a team more by himself but Tom is the more accomplished winner.

It's easy to debate that Tom Brady isn't the best QB ever. Bellichick Is the best coach, but Tom isnt the best. I actually want the Pats to lose. I forgot about this ridiculous narrative that Tom is best due to the rings; what a travesty; He isn't even the best if his time. 

IMO, Paul Brown was the greatest innovator to the NFL...and Belichick will be viewed that way in the future.

Paul Brown introduced the following things to the NFL and was widely accused (by his opponents & their fans) as being a "cheater" for some of these things.  In hindsight, we just see that he was just WAY ahead of his time...

-facemasks

-plays diagrammed on sheets and presented to players as a "playbook"

-he had his players study film of themselves & opponents

-introduced blacks to his HS teams without discrimination when most other schools would not do so (1932)

-he adopted the 40yd dash as a "standard measurement" because this was the distance to cover a punt

-His earliest Bengal's offense was the pre-west coast offense (used by Walsh in SF)

The list goes on......