Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rishard Matthews tweets he’s done if NFL makes national anthem rule

BlueShoe

Tennessee Titans receiver Rishard Matthews said Tuesday on ESPN's NFL Live that he will kneel during the national anthem until President Donald Trump apologizes for remarks he made last weekend.

Matthews, whose father served 23 years in the Marines and whose brother, another Marine, died in Afghanistan two years ago, has been vocal in his stance against racial injustice and police brutality. His protest was launched shortly after President Donald Trump's attacks toward NFL players who choose to protest. Matthews previously refrained from protesting in respect of his brother, but after Trump's comments, he said his brother would understand his intentions going forward.

35 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

LOL - Bye, Bye!!!!

34 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

tenor.gif

17 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I am not sure the NFL would survive if Rishard Matthews walked away from the game. 

I think you have successfully made your point however misguided it may be.

But did you read his story?  Have you thought at all about the point that he and others are trying to make?

28 minutes ago, Gramz said:

Tennessee Titans receiver Rishard Matthews said Tuesday on ESPN's NFL Live that he will kneel during the national anthem until President Donald Trump apologizes for remarks he made last weekend.

Matthews, whose father served 23 years in the Marines and whose brother, another Marine, died in Afghanistan two years ago, has been vocal in his stance against racial injustice and police brutality. His protest was launched shortly after President Donald Trump's attacks toward NFL players who choose to protest. Matthews previously refrained from protesting in respect of his brother, but after Trump's comments, he said his brother would understand his intentions going forward.

Childish.. 

5 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

But did you read his story?  Have you thought at all about the point that he and others are trying to make?

I agree.   I posted his reasoning a few posts up.

1 minute ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Childish.. 

I don't think he's Childish.   I think he's very passionate about his reason.   

Just now, jskinnz said:

Actually, I think NFL players who are mocking our national anthem are ruining the NFL. I believe tons of fans are walking away from the NFL because of this. People I talk to on a daily basis have completely stopped watching the NFL. I know people who are not renewing their season tickets. 

I have no issues with the players having discussions about politics. I just want it out of the game, and completely away from the game day experience. I watch sports to escape politics. 

8 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Very passionate. But he didn't start protesting until after the president said his words?

Because he was standing up (or in this case kneeling for)   his fellow NFL players the President referred to as Sons a *#*#88# 

He's now asking for an apology for that,  which I am Quite Certain he will never get.

This is never going to go away, I'm afraid.

As I said last night,  I've tried to stay silent on this, hoping it would work itself out.   I don't have the answer,  I don't like the flag and the anthem being disrespected, but I also can empathize with the players who feel they've been disrespected.          I hate it.   I wish I had some sort of magic solution to make it all better.  :sigh: 

11 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Very passionate. But he didn't start protesting until after the president said his words?

I don't know about childish, but it is definitely ill-advised to kneel until you get an apology from Donald Trump.

SkeletonKnee.gif

Might as well hold your breath or go on a hunger strike for all the good it will do.

Are we really going to make this about Trump now?

:Gaah:  This just keeps getting worse...

Just now, Gramz said:

Because he was standing up (or in this case kneeling for)   his fellow NFL players the President referred to as Sons a * 

He's now asking for an apology for that,  which I am Quite Certain he will never get.

This is never going to go away, I'm afraid.

As I said last night,  I've tried to stay silent on this, hoping it would work itself out.   I don't have the answer,  I don't like the flag and the anthem being disrespected, but I also can empathize with the players who feel they've been disrespected.          I hate it.   I wish I had some sort of magic solution to make it all better.  :sigh: 

Nice post! I just want to watch the game, and I want to watch it free of political agendas. 

If this doesn’t end soon, then I have no doubt the NFL is going to take a financial beating. There are just too many fans walking away from the NFL, and unless the NFL makes a dramatic statement then those fans are gone for good. 

When the fans leave then so will the advertising dollars. Some people think the NFL could lose a ton of fans and still survive. I disagree. 

Just now, Buck Showalter said:

Interesting choice of a gif to use to make your point.

I wonder if you asked Mr. Mathers about the current issue, who he'd be waving goodbye to...

I am not going to take the bait, and turn this into a Trump thread. Good try though. :) 

If someone feels strong enough to walk away from a great paycheck because of political beliefs then that’s a personal choice. Not a financially smart one, but a choice nonetheless. 

I am on the side of keeping the NFL thriving, and free of political agendas. I would like my game days to keep on keeping on. However, I fear that we may be witnessing the decline of the NFL as we know it. 

Between the head injuries, National Anthem protests, off the field misconduct, and so on... I believe the NFL is in serious trouble. I hope I am wrong though. I have invested 34 years of my life to being a Colts fan. 

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

Things might change next week at the owner's meeting but not really 

Okay so it's just the same as always basically outside of Goodell sending out the letters that state that he wants them all to stand or they "should" stand.

But in terms of actual punishments there is nothing concrete developed at this time I gather outside of Jerry Jones basically saying anyone who protests is off his team. 

Whew.

3 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I am not going to take the bait, and turn this into a Trump thread. Good try though. :) 

If someone feels strong enough to walk away from a great paycheck because of political beliefs then that’s a personal choice. Not a financially smart one, but a choice nonetheless. 

I am on the side of keeping the NFL thriving, and free of political agendas. I would like my game days to keep on keeping on. However, I fear that we may be witnessing the decline of the NFL as we know it. 

Between the head injuries, National Anthem protests, off the field misconduct, and so on... I believe the NFL is in serious trouble. I hope I am wrong though. I have invested 34 years of my life to being a Colts fan. 

Not really baiting when you already started the thread insinuating that no one would miss Rishard Matthews by showing an image of Eminem waving. I'm just pointing out that using that gif to make your point is ironic because the rappers political views would probably have him waving goodbye to the outraged NFL fans who are apparently walking away from the game...

I do agree with one thing though, keep politics in all forms away from the game. Problem solved.

Just now, Jules said:

Okay so it's just the same as always basically outside of Goodell sending out the letters that state that he wants them all to stand or they "should" stand.

But in terms of actual punishments there is nothing concrete developed at this time I gather outside of Jerry Jones basically saying anyone who protests is off his team. 

Whew.

Yep the NFLPA and certain Player Reps and the Ownership will discuss things next week

IMO the memo was just to cover the NFL 

2 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

Not really baiting when you already started the thread insinuating that no one would miss Rishard Matthews by showing an image of Eminem waving. I'm just pointing out that using that gif to make your point is ironic because the rappers political views would probably have him waving goodbye to the outraged NFL fans who are apparently walking away from the game...

I do agree with one thing though, keep politics in all forms away from the game. Problem solved.

JMO but I do this by not turning the game on until the kickoff and rarely focus on and/or turn down the tv sound and never watching any PreGame/Halftime/Postgame show

Just now, Buck Showalter said:

I think you’re reading too much into that picture. I chose it because I liked how shady looked in it. It made me laugh. 

Had I chose a conservative to use then this thread could turn turn very political. If I choose a person more liberal then I get your response. As political as some people really want to make all of this, I promise you I want more to not make it political. 

I want the NFL to survive, and be free of political agendas. If that could happen then it would be a good thing. 

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

JMO but I do this by not turning the game on until the kickoff and rarely focus on and/or turn down the tv sound and never watching any PreGame/Halftime/Postgame show

That is what I have been doing anyway. It just didn't start this season but 99% of pre game shows cover everything but the game. The announcers are boring and seem to worry about their face time over their substance.

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

Yeah I watch at the local watering hole most weekends so I have absolutely zero problem tuning it out as well...

6 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Yep the NFLPA and certain Player Reps and the Ownership will discuss things next week

IMO the memo was just to cover the NFL 

Yep I see now.

Also the Cowboys are on a bye week and I wanted to see what happened but now we have to wait another week lol.

5 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Same here, I tend to just watch the actual games now. I rarely listen or pay attention to anyone talking before or after the game but it's been this way for me for a few years now.

I often mute games too and put on music.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

That is what I have been doing anyway. It just didn't start this season but 99% of pre game shows cover everything but the game. The announcers are boring and seem to worry about their face time over their substance.

The same here 

Pre Games are dedicated to Church Shows and DVR cleanup