Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Butt insurance

oldunclemark

Its not how it sounds...

Jake Butt, the Michigan tight end, was drafted in the 5th round by the Broncos..

He WAS very good.....All Big-10..a 1st or second round choice... ,.but he got hurt in the final game of the year.

Turns out he took out an insurance policy before season which paid him about $10,000 for every pick he 'fell' past the second round due to injury.

He'll collect about $500,000

My questions: Does Denver give him a contract due a second rounder or a 5th rounder?

..and is $10,000 a pick  enough for falling 3 rounds in the draft?

......and would a potential payoff of $2 mil (the max of the policy) make up for not being drafted at all..........

Its an interesting case

You give that bum (no pung intended), 5th round money. Sounds like a spoiled brat to me. This is going to set a dangerous precedent if young players think they can get away with this.

I hate football players who obsess over their draft spots. Yea, they get paid more, but at the end of the day, you could be a Jeff Saturday (undrafted) or a Tom Brady (6th round) and make great money if you prove you love the game and play at a high level.

I hope we don't have a bunch of young players pretending to suffer concussions in their final game so they can collect easy paychecks. There's nothing stopping these young players from retiring a few years later once they've cashed in on a few million. We're seeing it a lot more often nowadays.

4 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

You give that bum (no pung intended), 5th round money. Sounds like a spoiled brat to me. This is going to set a dangerous precedent if kids think they can get away with this.

I hate football players who obsess over their draft spots. Yea, they get paid more, but at the end of the day, you could be a Jeff Saturday (undrafted) or a Tom Brady (6th round) and make great money if you prove you love the game and play at a high level.

It's called being mindful of your future.   Players take out policies like this every year.  It isn't new

23 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Its not how it sounds...

Jake Butt, the Michigan tight end, was drafted in the 5th round by the Broncos..

He WAS very good.....All Big-10..a 1st or second round choice... ,.but he got hurt in the final game of the year.

Turns out he took out an insurance policy before season which paid him about $10,000 for every pick he 'fell' past the second round due to injury.

He'll collect about $500,000

My questions: Does Denver give him a contract due a second rounder or a 5th rounder?

......and would a potential payoff of $2 mil (the max of the policy) make up for not being drafted at all..........

Its an interesting case

They can't give him 2nd round money.  He gets what the spot he was drafted at is allotted.   The rookie salary cap slots each pick a certain amount

3 minutes ago, ponyboy said:

The Broncos have no choice.  I think the value of the rookie contract if restricted by the CBA to a specific range for the slot taken.

That's a good point....there isn't any debate...

..and if they did feel they could or should give him second round cash..what would be the point of the insurance?

Edited by oldunclemark
spelling

11 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

You give that bum (no pung intended), 5th round money. Sounds like a spoiled brat to me. This is going to set a dangerous precedent if kids think they can get away with this. I hate football players who obsess over their draft spots. Yea, they get paid more, but at the end of the day, you could be a Jeff Saturday (undrafted) and make great money if you prove you love the game and play at a high level.

I hope we don't have a bunch of players pretending to suffer concussions in their final game so they can collect easy paychecks.

I dont know if a concussion could be covered in the policy....probably for that reason..

The head trauma could have occurred before the policy was taken out

How could you prove you dropped 2 rounds due to concussions........or because they just didn't think your were that good...?

rI'm glad they are able to get this insurance.   But, he still loses a lot more then $500,000 due to the injury.  Comparing TJ Green's $4.2M vs. Morrisons $2.8M shows about how much is lost be being chosen late in 4th vs. mid 2nd.

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 6:12 PM, ponyboy said:

rI'm glad they are able to get this insurance.   But, he still loses a lot more then $500,000 due to the injury.  Comparing TJ Green's $4.2M vs. Morrisons $2.8M shows about how much is lost be being chosen late in 4th vs. mid 2nd.

Yeag, he loses money. But he can't. worry about about it.

He needs to put it behind  him.

I don't know this for sure, but the amount you make in the second round is a lot more than the 5th. More than 500 000 dollars, that's for sure, so it's not like he's doing anything dirty to make some more cash.

Personally, I don't have a problem with it. In fact, I think it's smart. If you know you have an opportunity to make some extra dough, are you not gonna do it? 

19 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

I don't know this for sure, but the amount you make in the second round is a lot more than the 5th. More than 500 000 dollars, that's for sure, so it's not like he's doing anything dirty to make some more cash.

Personally, I don't have a problem with it. In fact, I think it's smart. If you know you have an opportunity to make some extra dough, are you not gonna do it? 

I guess you can insure yourself against anything that might cost you money.

....what I dont know is the down payment you have to make on the insurance

On 4/29/2017 at 5:32 PM, oldunclemark said:

Its an interesting case

5th

On 4/29/2017 at 5:56 PM, ponyboy said:

The Broncos have no choice.  I think the value of the rookie contract if restricted by the CBA to a specific range for the slot taken.

Correct.

On 4/29/2017 at 6:12 PM, ponyboy said:

Here's what the Broncos 2nd round player will get vs Butt in the 5th-

Butt pay-

JButtPay1_zpsqnqrksca.png

versus second round (DeMarcus Walker) pay-

JButtPay2_zpsondzbxmc.png

CBA rookie pay scale for 2017 applies.