Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Youtube News Channel

Vinatieri4

Hi, I was considering making a youtube, news channel for the Colts, obviously it wouldn't contain highlights, but it would just have recent news, and talking about various other colts information.  There aren't many Colts outlets on the internet so I figured maybe I could start something big. I am looking for Ideas on  how you guys would like to see the channel turnout. 

Mods feel free to move this if it technically isn't colts information! Thank you.

I'd for sure be interested to see how you do it.

I just got one piece of advice. When talking about colts transactions and what not, like signings, cuts, or draft selections (pretty much any sort of personnel decision), I think it'd be better if you focused more on the 'why' aspect to each move, rather than the good or bad.

For instance, instead of bashing a signing, try to delve into why the team made the move, what the FO and coaching staff might have in mind and where and how a player might fit in. Obviously give your own input and opinion(s) on moves too though.

Essentially, be more like Mayock, and less like Kiper haha.

1 hour ago, Vinatieri4 said:

Thanks for the feedback guys, also one more question:

Would you rather it just be my face most of the time with my room in the background, or m voice for the main part? It's hard to include NFL tape due to NFL copyright laws on youtube.

Voice over when possible... not big on seeing faces on YouTube personally is why

Really, there's no one right way to do this. You ask if you want to use your face, but the answer is it depends what you're going for. If you want to have a reaction video, we need your face. Some do a combination of editing back and forth between a face and content, like a news network does. If you're going for news, I don't see why you should break the tradition --  copy what the news networks do. There's a reason why they do what they do, as they have the art of engaging viewers down to a science.

If your content is more instructional rather than news, then you need to ask yourself if you're using a lot of video. If it's video, we don't need your face. If it's still-images, we need a face -- something HAS to be moving at all times, or the viewer loses interest. Nobody wants to eyeball a chart for 3 minutes without looking at something animated.

Also, if we see your face, be mindful of your environment. Pay attention to lighting, and your props. Fill your environment with sports memorabilia, trophies (if you have them), and perhaps even a bunch of papers sprawled on your desk, like you're a hard-working sports guru addicted to research. Others like to have books with their spine titles pointing out, and coffee mugs conveniently facing the camera to showcase what they say.

Enjoy yourself. If you think of it like a second job, you'll burn yourself out, so have fun with it.

It really depends on what you want, as @ReMeDy said.  If you want this to be your opinions/ideas, you should show your face quite a bit.  If you're going to try and give objective news reports, then showing your face won't be as significant. 

There are quite a few people on YouTube who like to do various basketball related topics and questions.  Things like redoing drafts, replaying scenarios, coming up with potential rule change ideas.  There's one channel called BBallBreakdown that breaks down basketball film, so that's another possibility.

I've thought about doing something similar, like a football-related YouTube channel, but I don't have anywhere near the editing abilities required for it.  I've also heard it takes quite a long time to film and edit, so that also takes me out of the equation haha .

4 hours ago, Vinatieri4 said:

Thanks for the feedback guys, also one more question:

Would you rather it just be my face most of the time with my room in the background, or m voice for the main part? It's hard to include NFL tape due to NFL copyright laws on youtube.

Background- like Bennie Hill have girls on trampoline or doing jumping jacks.

Something else is if you're doing a news Youtube channel, you must keep it active by providing up-to-date content, otherwise you risk losing viewers. However, when doing an instructional channel, or talking about about generic football, then you can make videos at your own pace -- something to think about it.

I personally don't think there's much need for Colts fan news, because people can get their news quicker and more conveniently from other sources, so unless you're an insider, you're better off sticking with opinion pieces, breakdowns, interviews, comedy, etc.