Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Josh McDaniels may get more attention for that HC'ing job

ReMeDy

It's Belichick, trust me.  I'm not saying McDaniels CAN'T do well, but what you see in New England is mostly Bill.  He's the smartest HC alive, is more prepared than anybody else, and then other teams vomit all over themselves trying to outsmart him, and you see what you get.

I actually think McDaniels did great while Shanahan choked. McD continued to spread the field and take advantage of his mismatches.  Namely the backs and Bennett. While Shanahan took one of the most explosive and diverse offenses in league history and got too conservative trying to run the clock out the 2nd half...  Stopped going to his backs and tight ends in the passing game to exploit matchups.

And then you have first down on the Patriot 22 yard line (after a miracle catch by Julio that easily could have been intercepted) and you don't pound the ball and get that field goal to go up 10???  But you proceed to lose 20 plus yards in 5 plays to get knocked out of field goal range...  What a choke job. 

23 minutes ago, Corndog said:

While I have supported bringing in McDaniels, I was not impressed with him at all yesterday.  The Pats offense did nothing until the Falcons defense was completely out of gas.  

I agree with you completely on this. In the second half the Falcons didn't apply any pressure on Brady. Their DLine was out of gas. Brady was inaccurate and flustered in the 1st half when under pressure. A lot of his throws were way off. With absolutely no pressure in the second half, a totally different story. If he played behind the Colts OL getting knocked around the way Luck gets hit, he would be a different QB. That is my takeaway from the 1st half. 

41 minutes ago, Corndog said:

While I have supported bringing in McDaniels, I was not impressed with him at all yesterday.  The Pats offense did nothing until the Falcons defense was completely out of gas.  

They did get yardage but couldn't finish. Came away despite being at or close to red zone due to turnovers, of which one ended up being pick 6. And one drive that ended in a field goal. IIRC, Pats and Falcons had similar yardage in the first half.

1 minute ago, Finball said:

They did get yardage but couldn't finish. Came away despite being at or close to red zone due to turnovers, of which one ended up being pick 6. And one drive that ended in a field goal. IIRC, Pats and Falcons had similar yardage in the first half.

They got yardage, but Brady was constantly under pressure and that was what caused the pick 6.  I was surprised at how many yards Brady in the first half, it didn't seem like he did anything, but they did have a few longer drives.  However, when the Patriots offensive game came together, it didn't really seem like they were doing anything different, besides double teaming Jarrett.  It seemed more like the Falcons defense was exhausted and they were just able to more easily execute.  

14 minutes ago, Corndog said:

They got yardage, but Brady was constantly under pressure and that was what caused the pick 6.  I was surprised at how many yards Brady in the first half, it didn't seem like he did anything, but they did have a few longer drives.  However, when the Patriots offensive game came together, it didn't really seem like they were doing anything different, besides double teaming Jarrett.  It seemed more like the Falcons defense was exhausted and they were just able to more easily execute.  

I agree with that. Falcons defensive line doesn't really have any monsters on it (I don't care about Beasley's sack numbers, to me isn't on same level as the likes of Mack and Miller) and the depth isn't that great either. Pats controlled time of possession and Brady had 60+ pass attempts.

Just a little FYI. Bob Kraft said in an interview this week (paraphrasing) about. BB "BB knows when he is done as do I." Talking about when he will retire. IMO it has be close if he KNOWS already so McDaniels could be staying on to take over if he thinks it is close as well.

10 minutes ago, JimJaime said:

Just a little FYI. Bob Kraft said in an interview this week (paraphrasing) about. BB "BB knows when he is done as do I." Talking about when he will retire. IMO it has be close if he KNOWS already so McDaniels could be staying on to take over if he thinks it is close as well.

I think we all agree... unless Bill moves up as full time GM but wants to hand it over to Matt instead! If I was Mcdaniels I wouldn't trust Bill as far as I can throw him. No offense but we all know he wouldn't hire Mcdaniels if he had another he liked better. Also I think we all agree Bill moves into an office when Brady retires....so like in 4 more years.

18 minutes ago, JimJaime said:

Belichick being the GM/Head Coach has to be exhausting with a ridiculous workload, even with the Kraft's being heavily involved in the front office.  Considering he has done what only George Halas and Vince Lombardi have, he has very little left to prove.  I think once Brady retires, so will Belichick or at the very least he is done coaching and stays on as a GM.  

1 hour ago, Corndog said:

Yes, and the pats offense is dink and dunk. Mostly quick slants & shallow crosses. Of course that may be due to the pedestrian receivers they have.

McDaniels might just hang out in NE until Belichick is done... he's still a young man, and even if it takes another 5 years, he'll have plenty of time left. If he does leave, it will be for a very good situation (solid team/owner, a QB he can win with, etc). Guys on their second go-round know that they typically don't get a third chance. So jumping at the wrong opportunity at the wrong time is not likely with McDaniels.