Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Arians was upset when the Steelers fired him

Coffeedrinker

Well, he used a stronger word than "upset" but if I typed it on this forum it would be edited.

Article.

This is one thing I like about Arians, he seems to be more of a straight talker than most coaches.  Kind of like Trump... straight talker, no nonsense and doesn't take any nonsense.  It's refreshing.

35 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Well, he used a stronger word than "upset" but if I typed it on this forum it would be edited.

Article.

This is one thing I like about Arians, he seems to be more of a straight talker than most coaches.  Kind of like Trump... straight talker, no nonsense and doesn't take any nonsense.  It's refreshing.

I saw the report a couple of days ago, Tomlin didn't come off looking very good IMO.

I watched a video clip of this story with Arians being interviewed and he said the Steelers weren't happy with the way the offense was running.  They didn't want Ben taking as many hits, throwing the ball downfield so often, and they wanted to run the ball more.  Because of that, they didn't renew his contract when it expired.  That doesn't necessarily mean Tomlin is to blame or it's his fault

3 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I watched a video clip of this story with Arians being interviewed and he said the Steelers weren't happy with the way the offense was running.  They didn't want Ben taking as many hits, throwing the ball downfield so often, and they wanted to run the ball more.  Because of that, they didn't renew his contract when it expired.  That doesn't necessarily mean Tomlin is to blame or it's his fault

I agree. With the injuries that Ben had accumulated over his career I can very well understand why the change in the offensive program. With the RBs that the Steelers have had it was a waist not to utilize them. Other than a couple of brain farts Tomlin has had he has been a very good coach. His team is always competitive and in the thick of things.

12 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Why is that?  I thought Arians said he didn't blame Tomlin, that he was forced to do it.  But I may have missed something.

According to what I read it was Tomlin's call to get rid of Arians.  Arians seemed to be under the impression that he was getting a new contract.  If there is that level of miscommunication going on, the Tomlin should have met with Arians face to face to tell him that he was letting Arians go.  Only my opinion, I sure others have their take on the situation.

13 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Wasn't Ben also upset about the change?  

On 6/22/2016 at 9:37 PM, Coffeedrinker said:

Why is that?  I thought Arians said he didn't blame Tomlin, that he was forced to do it.  But I may have missed something.

Steelers say they didn't make that decision, it was all on Tomlin-

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/06/21/steelers-say-mike-tomlin-made-the-decision-to-fire-bruce-arians/

“We did contact the Steelers, and we asked them if they had a comment on this,” Kremer said during a Tuesday visit to PFT Live on NBC Sports Radio. “And they said, ‘Look, this is ancient history for us. Mike’s already talked about this.’ But [they] made it clear that this was Mike Tomlin’s decision, to fire Bruce Arians.”

On 6/23/2016 at 9:45 AM, Cynjin said:

If there is that level of miscommunication going on, the Tomlin should have met with Arians face to face to tell him that he was letting Arians go.

He offered to do so, but too late.  He called first and told Arians he couldn't get him a contract. Arians said 'are you firing me?'  to which Tomlin replied something like its just a matter of words, then offered to fly out to discuss it.  Arians told him to not waste the money or time.

He was out of the NFL and retired... until Chuck Pagano gave him a ring on the telephone.  Things have changed mightily for Bruce since then.