Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My Ideal Draft

We really need a good draft this year. I'd love to see 3 starters from this draft. We need at least 2 and a couple of others who can contribute right away in some way. 

Guys who I'd love but won't fall to us:

Jaylon Smith

Myles Jack

Deforest Buckner

1st round options I'd be fine with:

Jack Conklin

Taylor Decker

Eli Apple

Noah Spence

Reggie Ragland

2nd/3rd round picks:

Vadal Alexander

Joshua Garnett

Von Bell

Nick Martin

Cody Whitehair

Ryan Kelly

Scooby Wright

Later picks:

Jordan Howard

Jeff Driskell

Nate Sudfeld

As far as my first rounders go, we need a starter.  If our staff believes Spence has put his problems in the past, then we should take him. We need a pass rusher. I have no problem with a tackle either because we could slide Mewhort back inside. If we landed Conklin or Decker and Alexander, Garnett or Martin, I'd be content with those being our 2 first picks. Solidify the OL

I do kind of want Bell pretty badly. Pagans has shown he can be good with DBs and Bell could be our ball hawk in center field. While he would need to improve his tackling and be more aggressive and willing in the run game, I'd love this pick.  I would also take Scooby Wright in the 3rd in a heartbeat.  He reminds me so much of Chris Borland who had a great rookie year.  On the short side but very strong, around 240 at 5'11", with a great motor and great instincts.

We we also need more in our run game. If Howard is there in the 4th or later, I could live with that. I also put Driskell, Brissett, or Sudfeld because we need a backup QB. Tolzien was a cheap guy with experience, but I don't want to see him in. If Luck does go down again, I'd like to see a QB who can still run our offense and get the ball downfield. Driskell, Brissett, or Sudfeld can make throws dowfield and would have time to learn behind Luck.  Our offense was pretty limited that way last year when Hasselback was in. 

Here is my ideal draft for the 1st six rounds:

1. Conklin/Decker

2. Kelly/Martin/Garnett/Alexander/Whitehair

3. Bell

4. Wright III

5. Howard

6. Sudfeld/Brissett/Driskel

My ideal draft would be trading down to 31. Denver gets the 18th pick, plus a 2017 6th. We get their 1st and 2nd. Lets hope they don't get a QB. Then they may feel the need to trade up and get Lynch.

1) Noah Spence EDGE

2) Cody Whitehair G  

2) Nick Martin C

3) Austin Johnson NT

4) Karl Joseph Safety

5) Matt Judon EDGE

7) Alex McCalister EDGE

Now that would be something to get excited about Colts Nation. 4, maybe 5 day 1 impact players/starters, and 2 raw pass rushers with the potential to be very good.

I get confused in these 'draft' threads.

Is the OP's intention to get opinions of their draft take, or IS it really meant as a free pile-on invitation for everyone's draft selections? Even though said respondents have already posted dozens of different draft selections in other threads, and each different (I suppose so they can proclaim 'I told you so' when the Colts actually pick up a couple of the same guys).

13 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I will take the Trifecta that Whitehair, Johnson, and Joseph will be Not available at those spots. lol

Yeah its not likely LOL. But he said "Ideal draft" I could see Whitehair going in the 2nd, but very early in the 2nd. I do actually think Johnson may be there in the 3rd since this class is so stacked though.

11 minutes ago, buccolts said:

I get confused in these 'draft' threads.

Is the OP's intention to get opinions of their draft take, or IS it really meant as a free pile-on invitation for everyone's draft selections? Even though said respondents have already posted dozens of different draft selections in other threads, and each different (I suppose so they can proclaim 'I told you so' when the Colts actually pick up a couple of the same guys).

I don't know about others. But when I do a mock its not really based on what I think we will do. Its more based on what I hope, or think we should do, and what I feel would be best for the team. I mean I'm not gonna make a mock and then be like " Ah yeah I told y'all" if we do pick a player or 2 from one of my mocks.

4 hours ago, James Ducheteau said:

I just cant get on board with any o-line picks before the third, this draft is stacked on defense and I can't imagine not going d in the first and second.

I keep going back and forth on this. I really want to get the center spot locked up for good, and Kelly is our best shot at that. However, I really want a starting quality CB or LB as well. And if Billings or Elliot are there, they're not big needs ATM but the talent would make it tough to pass. I'm getting really excited for this draft. Hoping to trade down a bit a couple times to pick up some extra picks either in rounds 2-5 or for future picks if possible!

Here's another one or 2 I wouldn't mind.....

1) Leonard Floyd EDGE

2) Nick Martin Center

3) Christian Westerman G

4) Tyler Higbee TE

5) Matt Judon EDGE

7) Marquez North WR

1) Noah Spence EDGE

2) Vernon Butler DT

3) Christian Westerman G

4) Evan Boehm Center

5) Victor Ochi EDGE

7) Alex McCalsiter EDGE

1 hour ago, CheezyColt said:

I keep going back and forth on this. I really want to get the center spot locked up for good, and Kelly is our best shot at that. However, I really want a starting quality CB or LB as well. And if Billings or Elliot are there, they're not big needs ATM but the talent would make it tough to pass. I'm getting really excited for this draft. Hoping to trade down a bit a couple times to pick up some extra picks either in rounds 2-5 or for future picks if possible!

I'm exactly opposite. Luck needs to be this teams main priority. I don't care what it takes to fix it, but o-line needs fixed. Can draft d in middle rounds and still get good players. my bad I wanted to quote the guy u quoted!

On March 20, 2016 at 2:49 PM, COLTS449 said:

My ideal draft would be trading down to 31. Denver gets the 18th pick, plus a 2017 6th. We get their 1st and 2nd. Lets hope they don't get a QB. Then they may feel the need to trade up and get Lynch.

1) Noah Spence EDGE

2) Cody Whitehair G  

2) Nick Martin C

3) Austin Johnson NT

4) Karl Joseph Safety

5) Matt Judon EDGE

7) Alex McCalister EDGE

Now that would be something to get excited about Colts Nation. 4, maybe 5 day 1 impact players/starters, and 2 raw pass rushers with the potential to be very good.

It would take more than a 2nd to move up 13 spots for Denver. 

On 3/20/2016 at 3:49 PM, COLTS449 said:

1) Noah Spence EDGE

2) Cody Whitehair G  

2) Nick Martin C

3) Austin Johnson NT

4) Karl Joseph Safety

5) Matt Judon EDGE

7) Alex McCalister EDGE

So your name is Margaret?  lol.... Someone with that name was on the NFL draft profile of Alex McCalister talking about wanting those 2 for the Colts..... How many people can there be posting about Indy needing to pick 2 Late round prospects from places as different as Grand Valley State and Florida?  lol

2 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

So your name is Margaret?  lol.... Someone with that name was on the NFL draft profile of Alex McCalister talking about wanting those 2 for the Colts..... How many people can there be posting about Indy needing to pick 2 Late round prospects from places as different as Grand Valley State and Florida?  lol

Excuse me? No man. My name is not Margaret. My name is Jon. WTH?

I've been playing around with mocks on Fanspeak and here's my ideal draft with no trades:

1) Jack Conklin, OT

2) Nick Martin, C

3) Jaylon Smith, OLB

4) Miles Killebrew, S

5) Keith Marshall, RB

7) Kevin Hogan, QB

However, if Conklin isn't there, I'd prefer to trade down to the top of the second, swapping picks, and likely picking an additional 3rd, giving us (2) 2nds and (2) 3rds

2) William Jackson, CB

2) Karl Joseph, S

3) Nick Martin, C

3) Jaylon Smith, OLB

4) Yannick Ngakoue, OLB

5) Keith Marshall, RB

7) Kevin Hogan, QB 

On 3/20/2016 at 3:49 PM, COLTS449 said:

1) Noah Spence EDGE

2) Cody Whitehair G  

2) Nick Martin C

3) Austin Johnson NT

4) Karl Joseph Safety

5) Matt Judon EDGE

7) Alex McCalister EDGE

Wow what a coincidence, saw a post on NFL draft site where a colts fan was gung ho for the exact two guys....lol  even similar verbage, my mistake!

• 2 weeks later...