Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reasons for Optimism.

NBColtsFanatic

I am posting numerous reasons why we should be optimistic for next season, rather that pessimistic.

1) Chuck Pagano is in a contract year. Just like players who are in contract years. I expect Pagano to gather the team and have the players fight a lot more since I doubt any player wants to see their beloved coach leave.

2) They are learning from mistakes and signing proven players who can contribute a lot.

3) I remember that last season, Pagano said something along the lines of, some of our players are not with the system or haven't bought into what we are doing, I am assuming those locker room cancers are gone now. 2 of which I think were, Richardson obviously and Landry.

4) The offensive line may be finally fixed(knock knock). Castonzo, Mewhort, Holmes, Herremans, Cherilus. Most likely, there will no longer be a need for 11+ different combinations. I expect to see Gore, Rookie, Herron, (Ballard) to play very well while sharing carries. This line will see a lot of development with Mewhort, Holmes, Harrison and Thornton hopefully. Lets hope Cherilus comes back healthy, Castonzo continues getting better, Mewhort develops even more as well as Holmes and Herremans plays like he did before injuries.

5) This team is already a lot better than last year. If Mathis comes back and produces a bit that would be nice, the pass rush will do very well next year compared to this year. Arthur Jones will come back healthy and hopefully play well, the CBs are back. We have the best RB Andrew Luck has ever played with while on the Colts, now teams will need to focus a bit more on our ground attack rather than just Luck. I will take an old Gore running behind Luck than anything we have had. Teams will need to prepare for both Hilton, Johnson and even Moncrief. No longer should we see the passing attack fail because of lack of support behind Hilton.

6) We have Andrew Luck.

7) A good amount of the young players will continue learning and develop more and progress. Newsome will get better, as well as the young OL, Luck, the young DL(Chapman, Hughes, Quarles), all these players will most likely improve upon what they did last year. Who knows who the diamond in the rough will be. Maybe Dewey McDonald, a defensive lineman, or anyone. You can't say the Colts are bad and haven't improved when the season hasn't even started.

8) Andre Johnson and Frank Gore will have a ton of pressure removed while playing with the best QB in their careers as well as who they are playing with on offense.

9) We have 9 draft picks remaining, all of whom can contribute in some way next year. I'm expecting these picks to be good because Grigson and Pagano understand the pressure they have being in contract years.

10) We are in the afc south. The Titans are that great, the Jags are getting better but not a threat and the Texans have a good defense but an offense without a quarterback. We also have a pretty fair schedule next year with the teams we are versing.

11) For the most part the AFC doesnt present much competition. All I can see are the Steelers, Patriots, Bills and Ravens. The Patriots and Broncos are also getting older, who knows maybe Brady drops off a ton. We can't predict anything. Finally, the Colts got to the AFC championship with a team that I believe isn't as good as the current one.

Thank you. Go Colts.

I see nothing but reasons for optimism. Although I do acknowledge other views, they come across to me as knee jerk, over critical, and lacking in long term understanding of the game, the league, and its trends...rarities...and odds. 

However, the OP was a well constructed post, nonetheless. 

Good list. But we have a lot who would rather whine about anything and everything negative. If you were an out sider and was reading some of these comments you would think the Colts are at the bottom of the division and the NFL. Sad really that so many choose to be negative when there is really not that much to be negative about when you look at the big picture.

Sad really that so many choose to be negative when there is really not that much to be negative about when you look at the big picture.

that's just human nature. a certain percentage of people are going to be negative no mater what. and it doesn't have anything to do with football

the internet has an unfortunate effect of amplifying thos voices

Good list. But we have a lot who would rather whine about anything and everything negative. If you were an out sider and was reading some of these comments you would think the Colts are at the bottom of the division and the NFL. Sad really that so many choose to be negative when there is really not that much to be negative about when you look at the big picture.

So true.  I never understand this.  I have family members who are long time Browns fans....  Now they on the otherhand have reasons to be negative.   haha

Being negative all the time has to be a miserable way to live and is a trait I hope I never have.     

p.s.  Good list  OP.

3) I remember that last season, Pagano said something along the lines of, some of our players are not with the system or haven't bought into what we are doing, I am assuming those locker room cancers are gone now. 2 of which I think were, Richardson obviously and Landry.

I saw Grigson say something along the lines of never wanting to sign anyone over 30 until he signed Mike Adams and that worked out for us.  He said it worked out because not only was Adams talented but because he was a leader and a professional at this level.  I think a big part of the reason we brought in Gore, Johnson, Cole, and Herremans who are all in their 30s is because of our success with Adams -- Grigs also said something along the lines of being sick of young players who aren't all in or don't know how to be a pro in this league.

I'd add to your list a couple players who have the NFL talent but not the NFL mindset-- Da'Rick Rogers, Louichez Purifoy.