Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kiper's Top-40 WR's (By Tier)

Since this is Insider info,  I'm cutting and pasting here....

As I was taking in the NFL combine last week, I found myself flashing back to a couple of other draft classes, because of how the wide receivers were grouped on my board.

In 1985, I had very close grades on a trio of wideouts who turned into really good players. Al Toon, Eddie Brown and the great Jerry Rice all went within six picks of one another, and I had them pretty closely grouped on my draft board. Rice, of course, became a star (even after a rookie season that had some critics already applying the "bust" label), and while his star surpassed the rest, all three were successful. 

It happened again three years later. In 1988, I had similar grades on the trio of Tim Brown, Sterling Sharpe and Michael Irvin. And just as it happened in 1985, those three went within six picks of each other, and again all three had careers to be proud of.

If we can someday look at the top three wide receivers in this class and say they accomplished anything close to what the top three in 1985 or 1988 did, I think it would be pretty remarkable. But I bring up those classes because it's again a closely grouped trio at the top.

Beyond them I list 37 other wide receivers to watch for the 2015 NFL draft. It's yet another deep group.

The elite trio

Should go in top-10 range, can be impact NFL players early on.

Amari Cooper:  There really isn't a flaw in Cooper's game at this point, and running a 4.42 40 at the combine eases any long-speed concerns. I had Cooper as my No. 1 WR even with some questions as to whether he was in the same "athlete" class as some other WRs in this class, but the distance between him and even the athletic freaks is almost negligible now. He caught 84 more passes than the next-closest Bama player. Think about that.

Kevin WhiteWhite is probably closer to Cooper on most boards than he was heading into Indy. He ran 4.35 with a 1.52 10-yard split, so there's no question about the quick-twitch explosiveness now. He has star potential, especially if he continues to improve.

DeVante Parker:  He's A.J. Green Lite -- but not that light. Given his big catch radius and ability to beat defenders at the catch point (see: arms longer than 33 inches), running 4.45 at 6-foot-2 and 209 pounds puts him in a top class of athlete as well. A difference-maker and potential No. 1 receiver.

Also in Round 1 mix

Any of these guys could land in Round 1 and have a chance to help a team soon.

Devin SmithHe didn't measure as big as he plays, at 6-foot and under 200 pounds, but Smith is plenty fast (4.42) and has down-the-field credentials, where he flat dominated at the catch point last season. If you ran a reel for Smith's best catches, you'd assume he was 6-3.

Dorial Green-BeckhamLet's be clear here: Yes, DGB has the body type of Calvin Johnson, at 6-5 and 237 pounds. But let's remember Megatron ran a 4.35 with a 1.52 10-yard split at 6-5 and 239 pounds. Johnson also had a 42.5-inch vertical. DGB is plenty athletic, with a 4.49 40 time and a 33.5-inch vertical. But he also has off-field questions to answer. Still, the size and skill set (while raw) is tantalizing.

Breshad PerrimanWe won't see Perriman run until his pro day, but at 6-2 and 212 pounds, on the tape you see a sure-handed receiver who morphs into a running back with the ball in his hands. He's been a favorite of mine who I feel is a first-round talent.

Phillip Dorsett:  Having 4.33 speed can move you up on a lot of boards, but Dorsett isn't just a track star -- he's a capable receiver and can help a team out immediately. A star at the Senior Bowl, he's now clearly in the Round 1 mix.

Jaelen Strong:  Another player who saw himself shrink in Indy, Strong measured under 6-3 after long being listed taller than that. Still, he's a force down the field and on contested balls, and the 4.44 speed is really good for a physical matchup threat who will play near 220 pounds.

Devin FunchessHe's 6-4 and 232 pounds and has been listed with the tight ends for a while, but Funchess is really just a size matchup wide receiver, and was used in that way by Michigan. He could land in Round 2 but is certainly going to be in the discussion for a few teams in Round 1. It just depends on how the board lines up.

Likely Day 2 impact talent

More likely to land in Rounds 2 and 3, these guys have skills that could help teams soon.

Nelson Agholor:  Match 4.42 speed with a dependable skill set as a route-runner and mostly reliable hands and you have a high-floor player if he's working with a decent QB.

Sammie CoatesThere was actually some disappointment in Coates' 4.43 40 time, which tells you about how good an athlete he is. A running back with the ball in his hands, he's gotten better down the field.

Tre McBrideHe's moved up the board since the end of the season, with 4.41 speed not hurting his cause. He's now a Day 2 pick.

Antwan GoodleyThere's a chance he could drop because the Baylor system helps inflate WRs' numbers, and he simply isn't as big as he plays, but Goodley is in this range.

Tyler Lockett:  He ate up some good corners, and his 1.56 10-yard split showed off his quickness. If there's a concern, it's his small hands. A slot pick.

Stefon Diggs:  If you see his best tape, you see a potential first-rounder. But Diggs has been dogged by injuries over his time at Maryland. But teams will see that good tape, and he could land here.

Chris ConleyYes, he moves up some on his fantastic 40 (4.35) and crazy-good vertical (45 inches), but Conley did produce as well, with 91 receptions over the last three seasons.

Rashad Greene:  A favorite of Jameis Winston, Greene is lean, but productive and willing to make plays in traffic. He didn't hurt himself in Indy.

Worth a value bet

Offering some skills that can make them good NFL players, these guys will get drafted on Day 3.

Jamison Crowder: Didn't make a splash in Indy, but a potentially reliable slot option.

Titus Davis: The Central Michigan star will hope to follow in Antonio Brown's big shoes.

Dezmin Lewis: At nearly 6-4 he showed he belonged in Indy and at the Senior Bowl from a physical standpoint.

Vince Mayle: Although he has good size and great production, plus strong hands, Mayle ran poorly in Indy and lost some money.

Deontay Greenberry: He had 154 catches over the last two seasons, and good size will have him on some boards. His pro day is crucial.

Ty Montgomery: Offers versatility because he's a returner and will also take handoffs if you want. The size (221 pounds) is there.

Devante Davis: Has good size (nearly 6-3 and 220 pounds) and can go up and get it. This is a classic case of how there's so much depth in terms of size now.

JJ Nelson: Run 4.28 and you're going to land on a roster. He can start in the return game.

Tony Lippett: Has proven credentials in big games and good length; he simply lacks top-line speed. Will also play CB in a pinch.

Mario Alford: Another guy who will be disappointed with a mere 4.43. He plays fast and is lightning with the ball in his hands.

Da'Ron Brown: A productive sleeper out of the MAC.

More names to watch

Could be drafted, could be added the moment the draft ends, could move up between now and then.

Donatella Luckett, Harding
DeAndrew White, Alabama
Rannell Hall, Central Florida
Deon Long, Maryland
Matt Miller, Boise State
Jordan Taylor, Rice
Ezell Ruffin, San Diego State
DeAndre Smelter, Georgia Tech
Darren Waller, Georgia Tech
Malcome Kennedy, Texas A&M
Josh Harper, Fresno State
Kaelin Clay, Utah

Nice list. Thanks for the info.

To me, guys like Jaelen Strong and David Funchess are the red zone nightmare threats that teams like the Patriots and Packers would have the luxury of going after and make it work. Their field tape probably will speak louder than their combine, IMO and they seem like the Anquan Boldin types for the underneath game.

If both of them are on the board before the Colts pick, I want the Colts to start talking to one of the teams at the top of round 2 for a trade and get an extra 4th at least. I would be shocked if a team at the top of round 2 does not want them.

As far as the Colts are concerned, Dezmin Lewis in round 3 would be a good catch. It is not easy to find 6'4" guys that are good route runners and he is one good route runner with soft hands.

I really like Dorsett, but I can't say I would pull the trigger on him in the first round. 

If we use a second round pick on Dorsett or Agholor I would not be upset. I need to see more on Perriman. I realize he posted great numbers at Central Florida, but he seems to have jumped into the conversation because Mel Kiper mocked him in the first round.