Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Polian- Colts Fans Have A Right To Be Angry

Dtman513

"As a football team, I think our talent level, the quality of our head coach, the effort we’ve given and all of that, certainly is not at the bottom of the barrel," said Polian. "We are a team that does things incorrectly repeatedly, and that has come back to haunt us." Bill Polian

I still think Polian is very arrogant. Just read the above quote from the article. He still thinks we have an overall talented team and a quality head coach. We have "some" talent on the team at a couple of positions but the overall team is not very good and the head coach is a joke. Polian wants to direct anger everywhere except on himself. I know that I am angry because the team was built to NOT be able to succeed without Peyton. No team should be build around one person, I don't care how good that one person is. If Polian had build at least a good team around Peyton instead of a team full of perennial practice squaders, then the team would have been able to at least compete in this weak AFC South.

"As a football team, I think our talent level, the quality of our head coach, the effort we’ve given and all of that, certainly is not at the bottom of the barrel," said Polian. "We are a team that does things incorrectly repeatedly, and that has come back to haunt us." Bill Polian

I still think Polian is very arrogant. Just read the above quote from the article. He still thinks we have an overall talented team and a quality head coach. We have "some" talent on the team at a couple of positions but the overall team is not very good and the head coach is a joke. Polian wants to direct anger everywhere except on himself. I know that I am angry because the team was built to NOT be able to succeed without Peyton. No team should be build around one person, I don't care how good that one person is. If Polian had build at least a good team around Peyton instead of a team full of perennial practice squaders, then the team would have been able to at least compete in this weak AFC South.

Agree completely.

"We are a team that does things incorrectly repeatedly, and that has come back to haunt us."

Ok, I believe that's the first step...

Glad to hear him finally admit to it, now do something about it.

Well that's a two sided comment because he states caldwell is a good coach,i assume when a team does things incorrectly that goes to coaching.So which is it? Edited by coltfaninnewyork

Well that's a two sided comment because he states caldwell is a good coach,i assume when a team does things incorrectly that goes to coaching.So which is it?

I guess really, I seen "team", but read "orginazation" to be completely honest with you.

and the "we are" I was hoping he was including his actions also

Edited by thetigerfox

Well that's a two sided comment because he states caldwell is a good coach,i assume when a team does things incorrectly that goes to coaching.So which is it?

This is exactly what I was thinking. His statement is a direct contradiction. If you have food coaching, then the players should not be doing things incorrectly constantly.

I think Polian says what any GM is going to say to the press, he is no different then any other GM in this game when it comes to speaking to the press about his team, coaches and such.

Just because players seem to like Caldwell doesn't make him a good coach. Get a coach that brings something to the table other than continuity, someone who will challenge Polian but not someone who wants to be GM/coach.

Why would Polian bring in someone who is going to "challenge" him? Do you challenge your boss at work?

I believe he just stated the head coach, I didn't read where it said all the coaches so he may be fine with Caldwell and not so fine with some of the position coaches or coordinators.

Possibly,but isn't the head coach responsible for his other coaches.Caldwell personally picked some of his assistant's.

Yes he is, and at season end my guess is that Polian and Caldwell will sit down and Polian will talk with him about his concerns and possible needs for change. Caldwell can agree and work with Polian in picking new staff, or Caldwell can disagree and probably end up unemployed...similar to why Jim Mora was dismissed.

I think Polian says what any GM is going to say to the press, he is no different then any other GM in this game when it comes to speaking to the press about his team, coaches and such.

Polian needs to do his job and stop talking to the media anyway. The coach of the team should be talking to the media and have the radio show. Since when is a GM the face of the franchise?

Polian needs to do his job and stop talking to the media anyway. The coach of the team should be talking to the media and have the radio show. Since when is a GM the face of the franchise?

Exactly why does it matter? Jerry Jones is the face of the Cowboys? Mark Cuban is the face of the Mavericks and Jerry West was the face of the Lakers.

Exactly why does it matter? Jerry Jones is the face of the Cowboys? Mark Cuban is the face of the Mavericks and Jerry West was the face of the Lakers.

Jerry Jones - Owner

Mark Cuban - Owner

Jerry West - Highly successful player for the Lakers and then became GM. I would argue that Phil Jackson was more of the face of the Lakers that Jerry West.

Jerry Jones - Owner

Mark Cuban - Owner

Jerry West - Highly successful player for the Lakers and then became GM. I would argue that Phil Jackson was more of the face of the Lakers that Jerry West.

Well you stated that it should be the coach, not the GM, well in the cases I gave you it was even higher up. I am unclear on why it matters "whom" has a show and is the so called "face" of the franchise?

Well you stated that it should be the coach, not the GM, well in the cases I gave you it was even higher up. I am unclear on why it matters "whom" has a show and is the so called "face" of the franchise?

Because perhaps it undermines the HC. When the only info you get is from the GM's show and the owners tweets, it doesn't make it seem that the HC is really on top of things.

Edited by NM_Colts

The person who has runs the game and has his finger on the pulse of the team, in my opinion, should be publcly speaking for and about the team. That is supposed to be the coach, not the GM. Front office personnel shouldn't be seen or heard.

Because perhaps it undermines the HC. When the only info you get is from the GM's show and the owners tweets, it doesn't make it seem that the HC is really on top of things.

Really, or could it be the HC has enough things on his plate and doesn't need to hassel. It would be interesting to see how many NFL coaches have a show...

Really, or could it be the HC has enough things on his plate and doesn't need to hassel. It would be interesting to see how many NFL coaches have a show...

I don't know exactly how many, but with Sunday Ticket while I was waiting for the game to begin I would watch the pre-game show on CBS and then flip to the coaches show on Sunday Ticket during the commercials. (in the 700's channels) I recall John Fox had one as well as JDR. Can't remember the others.

Edited by NM_Colts

Polian is not putting the blame on anyone, i dislike polians attitude but i respect him as a GM because he is a good one... the whole thing about putting a good team around peyton is complicated...

Tbh if you would want to blame anyone you would have to blame peyton for being so good, a guy with that much talent deserves to be surround on offense with talent, hence the offense demands most of the money... when you have that you get the other side of the ball who cannot be the same way because you dont have money for that, hence you see less talented players making and starting on the team.

Yes the colts maybe could have juggled how they balance picking their players but then again peyton may not have as much success as he's had if that was to happen.... in all you gotta give something to get. The colts are going in a transition now and you are gonna see much better defensive players coming on the team.. simply for the fact that peyton is getting old and they need a good defense .

Polian is not putting the blame on anyone, i dislike polians attitude but i respect him as a GM because he is a good one... the whole thing about putting a good team around peyton is complicated...

Tbh if you would want to blame anyone you would have to blame peyton for being so good, a guy with that much talent deserves to be surround on offense with talent, hence the offense demands most of the money... when you have that you get the other side of the ball who cannot be the same way because you dont have money for that, hence you see less talented players making and starting on the team.

Yes the colts maybe could have juggled how they balance picking their players but then again peyton may not have as much success as he's had if that was to happen.... in all you gotta give something to get. The colts are going in a transition now and you are gonna see much better defensive players coming on the team.. simply for the fact that peyton is getting old and they need a good defense .

I disagree somewhat. Peyton makes players around him look better than they really are which is great. When I say building a team around Peyton, I don't mean that Peyton has been giving the best offensive weapons that money can buy because he cleary hasn't gotten that. If Peyton were surrounded by Adrian Peterson, Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, etc and the defense was subpar, I don't think anyone would be complaining. We have talent on the offense but I think some of the talent is overpaid. What good is it to have highly paid recievers and backs if the offensive line is pieced together? The team is completely built around Peyton scoring a lot of points and sustaining long drives and that isn't a good thing. The ablilty to balance the team was there but Polian didn't feel it was needed and here we are now.

I disagree somewhat. Peyton makes players around him look better than they really are which is great. When I say building a team around Peyton, I don't mean that Peyton has been giving the best offensive weapons that money can buy because he cleary hasn't gotten that. If Peyton were surrounded by Adrian Peterson, Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, etc and the defense was subpar, I don't think anyone would be complaining. We have talent on the offense but I think some of the talent is overpaid. What good is it to have highly paid recievers and backs if the offensive line is pieced together? The team is completely built around Peyton scoring a lot of points and sustaining long drives and that isn't a good thing. The ablilty to balance the team was there but Polian didn't feel it was needed and here we are now.

Peyton makes wayne and marvin look better but they also make him look better as well statistically.. he's just taking advantage of their skills so im not gonna downplay reggie or waynes skills at all... however i do agree with you on the over paid part, i do not agree on paying money to players who are only one trick ponies.. i believe if you are a TE then you should block like a TE which isnt the case with clark....

But the same thing comes down to money, you only have so much that can go around.. if you have high priced offensive line picks from RT to LT then something is gonna have to be sacrificed.. you have to choose.. and thats where the guru GM's come in.. getting a bang for your buck its been a hit and miss for BP but they should have payed up on the defense...

David Thorton

Marcus Washington

Mike Peterson

They could have also been more active in FA, but no.

Iagree, as much as I respect and love to see Peyton Manning play; a team can not be built around a single player. I am surprised at what has happened this year. I did not expect the abscence of Peyton Manning to be such a factor. I knew it would be a tough year without him, but c'mon there has to be a lot of other issues.

In a democracy yes...not in a business or pro football team. The boss is there for a reason.

Wow - sure wouldn't want you to be my boss. I work in a very large company and having the ability to question decisions and challenge the status quo are valued practices. If you are surrounded by yes men then you will never hear the truth.

The boss it there for a reason - not to be the unquestioned authority, but to lead.

Wow - sure wouldn't want you to be my boss. I work in a very large company and having the ability to question decisions and challenge the status quo are valued practices. If you are surrounded by yes men then you will never hear the truth.

The boss it there for a reason - not to be the unquestioned authority, but to lead.

Sorry but any boss that allows his employes him to "challenge" him isn't a very good boss. A good boss will seek out and work with his employees, but allow them to challenge him?

Sorry but any boss that allows his employes him to "challenge" him isn't a very good boss. A good boss will seek out and work with his employees, but allow them to challenge him?

Sure - maybe we have a different definition of challenge. I can challenge decisions, directions, question policies, etc. That doesn't mean I am calling out the boss as an incompetent boss. In a very strong team environment team members know they can "challenge" things and influence decisions. Where I work we have a policy of "constructive confrontation" and actually all employees are supposed to receive training on it. A strong boss can deal with this and at the end of the day they are still the decision makers. It can really make the team stronger.

The problem with the Colts is that the boss is too busy playing around on the internet, wearing strange costumes, and collecting guitars. He has allowed a middle manager to arrogate far more power to himself than anyone else holding the same position for any other franchise.