Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How do you feel about the cold weather Super Bowl next year ? NY/NJ....

Jules

The problem isn't so much with the game itself. NFL games are played in the cold, snow, wind, rain, etc. The problem is more the logistics around the game. When Dallas hosted the SB they got a little dusting of ice and snow and it nearly crippled the city. (Granted, they're not used to it or equipped to deal with it, but you get the point.)

The storm we got Fri-Sat did as much to paralyze the Northeast as anything I've seen in 40 years of living up here. I got about two feet where I live, with drifts up to four. Clearing the roads, parking lots, etc, is still ongoing.

So if I'm a planner of the SB, I'm against this idea. Just too much of a wildcard for me.

As a fan, though, I love the idea. Going to a cold-weather game is a matter of dressing properly for it and taking the necessary precautions (usually large quantities of brown liquor). If it's OK to play a conference championship game in the cold, I see little difference with playing a Super Bowl in it.

One idea that would provide some compromise, and that I would absolutely LOVE... move the game time up so that you're playing in (mostly) daylight. Maybe a 3 pm start. That also gets people home earlier. But it'll never happen, lol...

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plus.......the 2 weeks in front of the game are suppose to be a celebration of the sport..

hard to celebrate when your bus skids into a guard rail and you have to walk back to the hotel..

'

at the 'Super Bowl Village', they can have real Eskimos...

Football is NOT a winter sport..folks.....it was never meant to be played in sub freezing weather..

...and I would, suggest there's never been a great game played in zero wind chill.

(The Dallas-GB Ice Bowl was a mediocre game..I watched every minute as a kid. It was almost painful to watch)

This is like walking on the lake when you think its frozen.

If you're right.,..its cold and hard..... ..If you're wrong.....its a disaster...

The problem isn't so much with the game itself. NFL games are played in the cold, snow, wind, rain, etc. The problem is more the logistics around the game. When Dallas hosted the SB they got a little dusting of ice and snow and it nearly crippled the city. (Granted, they're not used to it or equipped to deal with it, but you get the point.)

The storm we got Fri-Sat did as much to paralyze the Northeast as anything I've seen in 40 years of living up here. I got about two feet where I live, with drifts up to four. Clearing the roads, parking lots, etc, is still ongoing.

So if I'm a planner of the SB, I'm against this idea. Just too much of a wildcard for me.

As a fan, though, I love the idea. Going to a cold-weather game is a matter of dressing properly for it and taking the necessary precautions (usually large quantities of brown liquor). If it's OK to play a conference championship game in the cold, I see little difference with playing a Super Bowl in it.

One idea that would provide some compromise, and that I would absolutely LOVE... move the game time up so that you're playing in (mostly) daylight. Maybe a 3 pm start. That also gets people home earlier. But it'll never happen, lol...

Drinking booze is not a wise idea when you are cold. It will make you feel warmer fora short time because the blood rushes to yourcapillaries. The problem is the blood leaves your core and actually makes you colder.

I like the idea of an earlier kick off time. But like you said, it won't happen

Drinking booze is not a wise idea when you are cold. It will make you feel warmer fora short time because the blood rushes to yourcapillaries. The problem is the blood leaves your core and actually makes you colder.

I like the idea of an earlier kick off time. But like you said, it won't happen

I agree the drinking is much better for us indoors..... :dancing:

Oh I'm aware. I've spent a lot of time in the cold. It was more of a tongue-in-cheek comment.  :thmup: 

I'm just surprised so many folks are so averse to the cold. Maybe it's the New Englander in me. It's mind over matter.

Oh I'm aware. I've spent a lot of time in the cold. It was more of a tongue-in-cheek comment.  :thmup:

I'm just surprised so many folks are so averse to the cold. Maybe it's the New Englander in me. It's mind over matter.

I love it Go-Pats....I used to have 7 huskies I ran when I was younger.....shorts and a tee to about 25 degrees.....I have gotten older.....however... :lecture:

I got cut off while editing was trying to writer all this

as I was going to a Med conference this weekend in single digit weather , shivering a bit as with my compromised neck i get cold easier ( my home I must geat n more than others ) , Not saying Peyton has same issue,  but was thinking  Man are my arms and legs frozen  but at least my insides are warm , blood flow is often redirected to vital organs from the limbs & also the body trys not to lose heat through the skin so vessels constrict , so plausible leg stamina may not last if v blood supply is redirected, not sure , just plausible, pends alot on how cold and on the individual

fluid within joints have their viscosity  change to  so cushioning of joints changes

as said before , are a myriad of changes, much harder  for warm weather team to adjust to cold playing than cold weather team to warm weather,   Percy Harvin will get more migraines  but forget which causes it cold or warm weather

Just try & tie shoe laces in freezing weather, its hard, fine motoir skills go as nerve impulses are affected

Muscle reactions and nerve impulses are simply slowed maaking it harder to move

shivvering is an attempt for the body to create heat

blood vessels can decrease in diameter so Blood Pressure can rise, thats why more herat attacks in cold weather, when bad the body tries to reduce its fluid volume like a water piill b for blood pressure  so u may go to the bathroom imore f u get my drift

Woemen are said to be able to handle copld weather better due to more subcutaneous fat, so maybe lineman with all that extra padding as it aint all muscle may handle it better , not sure , but then agaain as balkl is snapped and suddenly have to power up and move that opposing lineman so may still be much harder anyway as I said, muscles due slow down

The entire human body is  weather sensitive in one way or another

Adaptation plays a major part too. Living in a cold environment means that people become used to the temperature and the metabolism changes to adapt.

This is all so true.

I chuckled when I read your "tying your shoelaces" comment. When you combine cold environments with altitude, that kind of mundane task becomes extremely tricky. I remember starting off from a camp one morning while climbing in Alaska about 10 years ago. We were all exhausted and dealing with the effects of the cold and elevation. I timed myself and it took me almost 25 minutes to put on my boots, tie them, strap on my crampons (the metal spikes that climbers wear), pull on the insulated overboots, and get moving, lol...

And adaptation is huge. The body's ability to adjust always amazes me. On another trip, I remember heading back out on our second day of single-digit temps. We passed some guys heading in. We had been out for about 48 hours in the extreme cold, and I said to one of the guys as we passed them, "Finally warmed up, huh?" He looked at me funny and said, "It's 8 degrees out." So yes, you definitely adapt, and it doesn't take as long as one may think.

I love it Go-Pats....I used to have 7 huskies I ran when I was younger.....shorts and a tee to about 25 degrees.....I have gotten older.....however... :lecture:

Oh the age doesn't help, I agree. When I was 20 I'd do winter hikes in shorts. Now, at 40, I am waaaayyyyy to much of a wimp for THAT, lol!

Very cool about the huskies by the way. When I lived in NH we would have a dogsled team come to the lodge every year to do a presentation and give people quick rides. Really cool stuff.

This is all so true.

I chuckled when I read your "tying your shoelaces" comment. When you combine cold environments with altitude, that kind of mundane task becomes extremely tricky. I remember starting off from a camp one morning while climbing in Alaska about 10 years ago. We were all exhausted and dealing with the effects of the cold and elevation. I timed myself and it took me almost 25 minutes to put on my boots, tie them, strap on my crampons (the metal spikes that climbers wear), pull on the insulated overboots, and get moving, lol...

And adaptation is huge. The body's ability to adjust always amazes me. On another trip, I remember heading back out on our second day of single-digit temps. We passed some guys heading in. We had been out for about 48 hours in the extreme cold, and I said to one of the guys as we passed them, "Finally warmed up, huh?" He looked at me funny and said, "It's 8 degrees out." So yes, you definitely adapt, and it doesn't take as long as one may think.

First hope the Nor Easter finds u & yours well

Now u r a cold weather guy with high altitude experience to boot  

I think its easier for u to adapt than others may find living in warmer weather year round and not mountain climbing in Alaska at times, also while u obviously dealt with highly difficult personal battle u Vs Mountain

At least u weren't, ( & in no way takling away from your accomplishments )  in battle trenches on the line or running routes and have a CB deliver a blow etc , after a while that takes its toll to on the body, like Rocky delivering all those body hits , yes a great blow to the head may end it fast , but all those body hits accumulate , as does all the playing time and punishment in a 60 minute game thats played in frigid weather especially

All Players no matter how they live based on own body system adapt differently

Oh the age doesn't help, I agree. When I was 20 I'd do winter hikes in shorts. Now, at 40, I am waaaayyyyy to much of a wimp for THAT, lol!

Very cool about the huskies by the way. When I lived in NH we would have a dogsled team come to the lodge every year to do a presentation and give people quick rides. Really cool stuff.

Loving those memories.....we are getting a malamute puppy when my avatar passes........Miss my Alaskan wonders!!!  :(

First hope the Nor Easter finds u & yours well

Now u r a cold weather guy with high altitude experience to boot  

I think its easier for u to adapt than others may find living in warmer weather year round and not mountain climbing in Alaska at times, also while u obviously dealt with highly difficult personal battle u Vs Mountain

At least u weren't, ( & in no way takling away from your accomplishments )  in battle trenches on the line or running routes and have a CB deliver a blow etc , after a while that takes its toll to on the body, like Rocky delivering all those body hits , yes a great blow to the head may end it fast , but all those body hits accumulate , as does all the playing time and punishment in a 60 minute game thats played in frigid weather especially

All Players no matter how they live based on own body system adapt differently

I can't even imagine the physical pounding that NFL players take in ideal conditions, let alone in sub-freezing temps. Muscles and joints are stiffer, and the nature of the flow of the game (players go all-out when their units are on the field, then sit and watch when possession changes) is counter-productive to what you'd usually do in the cold (keep activity level at a point where you're generating heat but not sweating too much, as that will suck heat away). At least when you're climbing, you can regulate your body heat a little, add and/or lose layers of clothing as needed, etc.

I once had mild frostbite on all eight fingers (thumbs were spared) and now have a little bout of Raynaud's from time to time when my limbs are cold. Fingers will turn kind of a porcelain white and go numb on me. Apparently this is caused by scar tissue at the cellular level inhibiting circulation.

We did weather the storm OK, thank you! My shoulder is recovered enough for me to run the snowblower, so it wasn't all that bad. I also got an assist from a neighbor with a plow (took care of the glacier that the plow trucks created at the end of my driveway). Crazy storm though. 24" of snow where I live in a period of about 24 hours.

in suburb of Aspen, called  Snow mass , u drive past the workout club , where Goldie Hawn was treadmiling next to me, and go up that long hill to my brotherrs old , ( that is since sold  decades ago )  vacation home he bought with another Friend , u had to see this place built into the mountain, next door was the president of CBS, won architecture of the year award etc, I spent the first thanksgiving there after he got it, may have been the last time IO hiked trails

Back to the point, driving past the Gym, going up the hill but before the turnoff to the home, was a Iditarod  ( sp ) dog training place, I toured it what great looking beasts part wolf & dog & so muscular

in suburb of Aspen, called  Snow mass , u drive past the workout club , where Goldie Hawn was treadmiling next to me, and go up that long hill to my brotherrs old , ( that is since sold  decades ago )  vacation home he bought with another Friend , u had to see this place built into the mountain, next door was the president of CBS, won architecture of the year award etc, I spent the first thanksgiving there after he got it, may have been the last time IO hiked trails

Back to the point, driving past the Gym, going up the hill but before the turnoff to the home, was a Iditarod  ( sp ) dog training place, I toured it what great looking beasts part wolf & dog & so muscular

Sounds like a pretty amazing place! Goldie Hawn encounters, pretty cool stuff. :thmup:

What struck me when I met that dogsled team was how much the dogs LOVED running. They were so antsy and anxious to go. It must be the same feeling we get when we do something that's a rush!

Brown liquor....did someone say brown liquor......? I hope it's the 'proper stuff' you mean......

I agree with an earlier poster....it should be played at a neutral venue. Time you guys got a national Stadium. Maybe in LA, which would stop the franschise stealing!

But I really think we should just play it at Wembley every year.....

If they built a stadium just for the Super Bowl... viva Las Vegas, bud. Yeah!

I agree with an earlier poster....it should be played at a neutral venue. Time you guys got a national Stadium. Maybe in LA, which would stop the franschise stealing!

But I really think we should just play it at Wembley every year.....

Heck no....then the Super Bowl would be at 11 PM......way past this old dog's bed time :)

I can't even imagine the physical pounding that NFL players take in ideal conditions, let alone in sub-freezing temps. Muscles and joints are stiffer, and the nature of the flow of the game (players go all-out when their units are on the field, then sit and watch when possession changes) is counter-productive to what you'd usually do in the cold (keep activity level at a point where you're generating heat but not sweating too much, as that will suck heat away). At least when you're climbing, you can regulate your body heat a little, add and/or lose layers of clothing as needed, etc.

I once had mild frostbite on all eight fingers (thumbs were spared) and now have a little bout of Raynaud's from time to time when my limbs are cold. Fingers will turn kind of a porcelain white and go numb on me. Apparently this is caused by scar tissue at the cellular level inhibiting circulation.

We did weather the storm OK, thank you! My shoulder is recovered enough for me to run the snowblower, so it wasn't all that bad. I also got an assist from a neighbor with a plow (took care of the glacier that the plow trucks created at the end of my driveway). Crazy storm though. 24" of snow where I live in a period of about 24 hours.

Are various drugs and surgery even can take for it if ever gets bad enough, but yeah that can be stinging pain  or as u say numb, color changes common with changes to blood vessel diameter

Of course , the better the gloves and more layers u use as u know the easier to prevent attacks

are other meds that can make it worse, certain blood pressure ones, ,all those BIRTH  CONTROL PILLS u r on ( LOL ) even OTC like sudafed all can cause increased blood vessel constriction via vaso spasm of smaller artery vessel walls just like the cold does

If experience it long enough the walls, over years, of the arteries can permanently thicken over time and u get increased attacks

Sounds like a pretty amazing place! Goldie Hawn encounters, pretty cool stuff. :thmup:

What struck me when I met that dogsled team was how much the dogs LOVED running. They were so antsy and anxious to go. It must be the same feeling we get when we do something that's a rush!

its like they are on uppers

I feel your pain braveheart!!!  I have always been bad with time change....especially when traveling in the job....it was awful....

I with you there my friend. I went to Singapore / HK last year with work, and I either stayed up all night working or all night drinking...and still never slept on the 14 hr flight back home...

I start a new job next month, and I will need to travel to Australia, Houston, Montreal/Toronto and Johannesburg quite a bit. Goodbye sleep.....

I know of 1 Dr that has prescribed, get this Viagra for it as its a vasodilator

I assume u got it from the mild frostbite u noted & not secondary a disease like  lets say RA or some other trauma other than frostbite

I have no luck with medicines. I took viagra once, and all I got was a stiff neck!

I with you there my friend. I went to Singapore / HK last year with work, and I either stayed up all night working or all night drinking...and still never slept on the 14 hr flight back home...

I start a new job next month, and I will need to travel to Australia, Houston, Montreal/Toronto and Johannesburg quite a bit. Goodbye sleep.....

Wow.....sounds like fun...zero sleep....good luck in the new job!!!  :)

Are various drugs and surgery even can take for it if ever gets bad enough, but yeah that can be stinging pain  or as u say numb, color changes common with changes to blood vessel diameter

Of course , the better the gloves and more layers u use as u know the easier to prevent attacks

are other meds that can make it worse, certain blood pressure ones, ,all those BIRTH  CONTROL PILLS u r on ( LOL ) even OTC like sudafed all can cause increased blood vessel constriction via vaso spasm of smaller artery vessel walls just like the cold does

If experience it long enough the walls, over years, of the arteries can permanently thicken over time and u get increased attacks

I know of 1 Dr that has prescribed, get this Viagra for it as its a vasodilator

I assume u got it from the mild frostbite u noted & not secondary a disease like  lets say RA or some other trauma other than frostbite

Correct... frostbitten fingers. One of them was broken at one point so I'm not sure how much that contributes also (could have nothing to do with it).

Viagra huh? I'm envisioning some kind of tragic misunderstanding taking place. "No really, I have to take it for the blood circulation in my hands... no REALLY, c'mon!" LOL...

Correct... frostbitten fingers. One of them was broken at one point so I'm not sure how much that contributes also (could have nothing to do with it).

Viagra huh? I'm envisioning some kind of tragic misunderstanding taking place. "No really, I have to take it for the blood circulation in my hands... no REALLY, c'mon!" LOL...

If that finger thats broken gets alot worse off  than rest of fingers when attacks occur I would then probably have it looked at , but been so long since worked i really dont remember all the ins & outs of it, but 1 finger acting different than the others says something to me that sets it apart

Now if that finger is the middle finger and turns white and u take a viagra for it if anyone questions why u took the viagra u can legitamitly give them the finger to show why ( LOL )