Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Difference Between The "New" Colts and Past Colts

King Colt

What jumps out abouth the new Colts are two things mainly. First is a more stout and stingy defense. I am reminded more of a Ravens or Bears type defense as they seem more ticked off than ever before. It was always frustrating to see teams able to move the ball on the ground against the Coilts especailly in third and short situations.

Second, is the runnig attack. It seems more up the middle bull dog style instead of dodge and dart and try to find a hole ala Joe Adai. I have not seen much passing to the running backs but the pure straight on attack is great to watch and can run an oppositions spirit down after a few quarters.

I give this new style to the coaching staff as it seems the whole gang is in on it. I think the future is going to be alot of fun to watch. I think also if the Colts know how to draft to their needs we are going to be in the spotlight sooner than most thought.

Edited by Nadine
skirting the profanity filter

Ballard done real good but so has Donald Brown so dont think Ballard should start, The combination of Brown and Ballard is pretty good, Brown ganed 5 yards per carry on only 6 carries and 1 touchdown, Ballard only 3.4. I think the combination has worked so far though

Anyone here think Ballard could end up starting?

Ballard done real good but so has Donald Brown so dont think Ballard should start, The combination of Brown and Ballard is pretty good, Brown ganed 5 yards per carry on only 6 carries and 1 touchdown, Ballard only 3.4. I think the combination has worked so far though

I agree with you Gavin! In my eye Ballard is a pretty good back, but he's more of a complementary back who you bring into the game when you want to start grounding and pounding. He doesn't have a whole lot of speed. I also believe Brown should be the starter

Great thread here people! Yes the new Colts are MUCH more physical than the old Colts. I have been really impressed on both sides of the ball. I expect to see much more of a balanced attack on offense this year.

Mr. Brown and Mr. Ballard have both been good so far, but still feel that Mike Hart from Michigan would be the perfect inside running compliment to Donald Brown. Yes, he was already here in Indy and didn't do much BUT he did not fit the old Colts finesse based offensive system. He is an INCREDIBLE leader, a proven winner, and was GREAT running downhill in a smashmouth pro-style offense at Michigan. He carried the team on his back on multiple big games at Michigan and would bring a toughness and competitive spirit that we have not seen in a Colts RB in a long time. Mike would convert key 3rd and 4th downs in short yardage situations by sheer fight and will power. (Seriously when was the last time a Colts RB converted a key 3rd or 4th down and short in the regular season).

The new Colts run a downhill pro-style offense which is a perfect fit for Mike Hart. And I'm not even a Michigan fan! And he would be cheep, right now he's the RB's coach at Western Michigan and would probably give anything to play again. So why not take a chance on the guy. I really believe Mr. Irsay and Mr. Grigson would be glad they did. GO COLTS!

Great thread here people! Yes the new Colts are MUCH more physical than the old Colts. I have been really impressed on both sides of the ball. I expect to see much more of a balanced attack on offense this year.

Mr. Brown and Mr. Ballard have both been good so far, but still feel that Mike Hart from Michigan would be the perfect inside running compliment to Donald Brown. Yes, he was already here in Indy and didn't do much BUT he did not fit the old Colts finesse based offensive system. He is an INCREDIBLE leader, a proven winner, and was GREAT running downhill in a smashmouth pro-style offense at Michigan. He carried the team on his back on multiple big games at Michigan and would bring a toughness and competitive spirit that we have not seen in a Colts RB in a long time. Mike would convert key 3rd and 4th downs in short yardage situations by sheer fight and will power. (Seriously when was the last time a Colts RB converted a key 3rd or 4th down and short in the regular season).

The new Colts run a downhill pro-style offense which is a perfect fit for Mike Hart. And I'm not even a Michigan fan! And he would be cheep, right now he's the RB's coach at Western Michigan and would probably give anything to play again. So why not take a chance on the guy. I really believe Mr. Irsay and Mr. Grigson would be glad they did. GO COLTS!

Hart is too small and injury-proned to be the inside the tackle runner we need. Ballard is a better fit, IMO

I'm starting to question where Delone Carter is going to fit, because ballard can do everything Carter can do.

In my eye the final roster for running backs should be:

Donald Brown

Vic Ballard

Deji Karim

Mewelde Moore

I think that would give us a solid and pretty versatile 4. I don't think Darren Evans is going to make the team again, and I just think Carter and Ballard are too much of the same style of back.

I'm hoping Karim can make the team because that will give us another speed back to go along with Donald Brown, and Moore gives us a good 3rd down back.

Just my opinion!

I think Ballard may be the best all round back, which is what the #1 rB should be IMO. Gotta use DB toward his strengths. From what I'm seeing, most of the run plays are up the middle, power plays, so the starter better have some power. That's not Brown's strength IMO.

I dont think theres anything wrong with having a Carter and Ballard...this running style is physically demanding so you can't have one guy doing it all, it needs to be done by committee, MJD and Ray Rice are freaks of nature lol but we have that style and D Brown is becoming the Arian Foster/Matt Forte Style....I like Evans because he's from the hometown but he might be outta there and did Karim even play yesterday???