Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Positional Breakdown: Defensive Line

Andy

**Little late and maybe a little sloppy**

Today's entry is about the defensive line.

The defensive line is one of the few places on the team that fans should not worry about.

As we switch to the defensive side of the ball, we learnt the offense has a lot of upside, but may not be the greatest going into next year. The defensive side has the ability to be solid right away. The Colts did a lot to help their defensive line this offseason. The coaches decided to switch the defense to a 3-4 defense, and one of the spots that changes the most is the defenslve line. Well, the Colts weren't shy to go get players. They first got Cory Redding, a veteran five tech defensive end who played with Coach Pagano in Baltimore. They then got Brandon McKinney, a backup who also played with Pagano, who never got a shot to play as Haloti Ngata got all the work and the spotlight (and rightfully so). They believed that he could be a "hidden gem." Then, in the draft, they went out and got risky nose tackle Josh Chapman in the 5th round. They already had Fili Moala and Drake Nevis, with Moala having previous 3-4 experience.

Let's start with new additions Cory Redding, Brandon McKinney and Josh Chapman. Redding was a solid additon, the best of any of them (no disrespect to any of them). What you get in Redding is a 3 down lineman who is solid in run blocking and can pretty good in pass blocking. On top of all that, he brings experience, experience to what is a very young team. He can also mentor some of the guys on the line, like Drake Nevis, which could make his transition to the 3-4 much easier. The Colts also got him for a good price, which just makes everything better.

Then there's McKinney. The 345 pounder has hidden potential. No one knows how good (or how bad) he can be. He's always been a backup, and when he was on the field, he seem to be comfortable and made good plays. I look to his days in San Diego, playing as a backup to Jamal Williams (3x Pro Bowler). He was solid, and considered by many to be a quality backup. He never got a shot, and has shined when on the field. That's pretty exciting. Although he's not a 3 down lineman, he could rotate with Josh Chapman, who is another great draftee that the Colts got this season.

I'm telling you right now, the front office will be looking in a few years and they'll be kicking theirselves over how they got Josh Chapman in the 5th round. Chapman was expected to go in the late 2nd round, early 3rd round, but knee surgery and injury concerns dropped him to the 5th. He has 2nd round talent, and played really well with Alabama. He's better than Dontari Poe and Alameda Ta'amu skill wise, but Poe is more athletic. I believe that he and McKinney are going to work well with each other as none are 3 down lineman like Ngata is. They will constantly be fresh, which means they'll be 100% on each play. If they're 100% on each play, almost nobody will get through the middle.

Both McKinney and Chapman are the real deal, DO NOT OVERLOOK THEM!

Then we get to the young vets and sophomore: FIli Moala, Ricardo Matthews and Drake Nevis.

Let's start with Moala. Moala has been an interesting character since his debut. Some say he's good, others say he's useless. I think he's good, and here's why. He's too bleeping inconsistent. The guy takes way too many plays off. When he's on, he's on, and he's making tackle after tackle after tackle. When he's off, guys like Chris Johnson, who's a toothpick are running OVER him. Now, with all that said, if he could put that aside, stay consistent and play hard on each play, he'll be a solid starter for years to come. Hopefully, this could be some motivation. Here's a free agent next year. Who knows, if Nevis or Matthews play well next, he could be expendable. Even if they don't, the Colts can go out and sign some 5-techers in free agency. He needs to prove himself, so hopefully that's some motivation.

There is some good news though, Moala has played in a 3-4 before with USC in his college career, and (I knew this would help me some day) he played it in his high school days. That's right, his high school coach, Don Luethke, played a 4-3 and a 3-4. He knows how to play it.

Then there's Drake Nevis and Ricardo Matthews. Both guys have never played in a 3-4, so that's a cause for concern. Good news is, they aren't starting (for now). Last year, Nevis looked great in the pass rushing department, constantly pressuring the QB. Unfortunately a back injury halted his rookie season and he never fully recovered. Hopefully, he comes back stronger this season. Ricardo Matthews has been a nice story. The kid never played, but when he did, he played well. He would make tackles and he would occasionally get to the QB. He could become a quality backup in this league.

The Colts also have Antonio Johnson and some other guys as more depth.

All in all, they have great starters, with the exception of Moala, and the position has depth. There are a few question marks, but this should be a position that you shouldn't worry about.

**I think 3.5 is a little low, and 4 makes more sense**

Rating (Out of 5):

4/5

Good analysis. Learn to make paragraphs. Makes reading your posts much easier.

or understand that d linemen don't pass or run block. sheesh, don't you proof read before you post ? appreciate the effort but all credibility gets lost with stuff like that. hard to take it seriously.

Good analysis. Learn to make paragraphs. Makes reading your posts much easier.

or understand that d linemen don't pass or run block. sheesh, don't you proof read before you post ? appreciate the effort but all credibility gets lost with stuff like that. hard to take it seriously.

You're kidding right? There clearly are paragraphs. It's just there's no space in between them. It's not one big log jam. You're a big boy, you won't get lost.

So... I make one mistake, and suddenly I lose all credibility. Have a heart.

You're kidding right? There clearly are paragraphs. It's just there's no space in between them. It's not one big log jam. You're a big boy, you won't get lost.

So... I make one mistake, and suddenly I lose all credibility. Have a heart.

Don't take it personal. Some people don't know block formatting.

I thought it was a good article. I look forward to the next one!

Don't take it personal. Some people don't know block formatting.

I thought it was a good article. I look forward to the next one!

Ditto. I always learn something from your posts, and that's what counts.

I do have one question though, you like to use "Then there's..." a lot. Is that your trademark/style? I'm not complaining, just curious.

It sort of reminds me of the old at the movies news reels you'd see where they'd describe a team. Remember the one in A League of There Own? That's the voice I hear when I read the posts.

Keep them coming!

The thing that sticks out to me the most, is that the average weight of the 11 defensive ends, defensive tackles and nose tackles currently on the roster is 316 pounds!

While their talent level remains to be seen............their size is a HUGE (pun intended) upgrade from years past when we used 250-280 defensive tackles!

Just by sheer size we should be better against the run and exponentially better if they have an ounce of talent!

**Little late and maybe a little sloppy**

Today's entry is about the defensive line.

The defensive line is one of the few places on the team that fans should not worry about.

As we switch to the defensive side of the ball, we learnt the offense has a lot of upside, but may not be the greatest going into next year. The defensive side has the ability to be solid right away. The Colts did a lot to help their defensive line this offseason. The coaches decided to switch the defense to a 3-4 defense, and one of the spots that changes the most is the defenslve line. Well, the Colts weren't shy to go get players. They first got Cory Redding, a veteran five tech defensive end who played with Coach Pagano in Baltimore. They then got Brandon McKinney, a backup who also played with Pagano, who never got a shot to play as Haloti Ngata got all the work and the spotlight (and rightfully so). They believed that he could be a "hidden gem." Then, in the draft, they went out and got risky nose tackle Josh Chapman in the 5th round. They already had Fili Moala and Drake Nevis, with Moala having previous 3-4 experience.

Let's start with new additions Cory Redding, Brandon McKinney and Josh Chapman. Redding was a solid additon, the best of any of them (no disrespect to any of them). What you get in Redding is a 3 down lineman who is solid in run blocking and can pretty good in pass blocking. On top of all that, he brings experience, experience to what is a very young team. He can also mentor some of the guys on the line, like Drake Nevis, which could make his transition to the 3-4 much easier. The Colts also got him for a good price, which just makes everything better.

Then there's McKinney. The 345 pounder has hidden potential. No one knows how good (or how bad) he can be. He's always been a backup, and when he was on the field, he seem to be comfortable and made good plays. I look to his days in San Diego, playing as a backup to Jamal Williams (3x Pro Bowler). He was solid, and considered by many to be a quality backup. He never got a shot, and has shined when on the field. That's pretty exciting. Although he's not a 3 down lineman, he could rotate with Josh Chapman, who is another great draftee that the Colts got this season.

I'm telling you right now, the front office will be looking in a few years and they'll be kicking theirselves over how they got Josh Chapman in the 5th round. Chapman was expected to go in the late 2nd round, early 3rd round, but knee surgery and injury concerns dropped him to the 5th. He has 2nd round talent, and played really well with Alabama. He's better than Dontari Poe and Alameda Ta'amu skill wise, but Poe is more athletic. I believe that he and McKinney are going to work well with each other as none are 3 down lineman like Ngata is. They will constantly be fresh, which means they'll be 100% on each play. If they're 100% on each play, almost nobody will get through the middle.

Both McKinney and Chapman are the real deal, DO NOT OVERLOOK THEM!

Then we get to the young vets and sophomore: FIli Moala, Ricardo Matthews and Drake Nevis.

Let's start with Moala. Moala has been an interesting character since his debut. Some say he's good, others say he's useless. I think he's good, and here's why. He's too bleeping inconsistent. The guy takes way too many plays off. When he's on, he's on, and he's making tackle after tackle after tackle. When he's off, guys like Chris Johnson, who's a toothpick are running OVER him. Now, with all that said, if he could put that aside, stay consistent and play hard on each play, he'll be a solid starter for years to come. Hopefully, this could be some motivation. Here's a free agent next year. Who knows, if Nevis or Matthews play well next, he could be expendable. Even if they don't, the Colts can go out and sign some 5-techers in free agency. He needs to prove himself, so hopefully that's some motivation.

There is some good news though, Moala has played in a 3-4 before with USC in his college career, and (I knew this would help me some day) he played it in his high school days. That's right, his high school coach, Don Luethke, played a 4-3 and a 3-4. He knows how to play it.

Then there's Drake Nevis and Ricardo Matthews. Both guys have never played in a 3-4, so that's a cause for concern. Good news is, they aren't starting (for now). Last year, Nevis looked great in the pass rushing department, constantly pressuring the QB. Unfortunately a back injury halted his rookie season and he never fully recovered. Hopefully, he comes back stronger this season. Ricardo Matthews has been a nice story. The kid never played, but when he did, he played well. He would make tackles and he would occasionally get to the QB. He could become a quality backup in this league.

The Colts also have Antonio Johnson and some other guys as more depth.

All in all, they have great starters, with the exception of Moala, and the position has depth. There are a few question marks, but this should be a position that you shouldn't worry about.

**I think 3.5 is a little low, and 4 makes more sense**

Rating (Out of 5):

4/5

I like hearing good things about the D-Line. For years our D-Line (a.k.a. can't stop the run) has been talked about badly because of the style of defense and the middle of the D-line. I am excited that Andrew Luck won't have to score tons of points because Arian Foster, Maurice Jones-Drew and Chris Johnson runs all over us. We may win a few more games than I thought because of the D-Line. GO COLTS!