Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Caldwell Talks Late-Game Clock Management

bayone

Don't misunderstand. I didn't like the Jets timeout. It was clearly a mistake, and I think everyone knows that. I still think we're blowing it out of proportion.

lets just hope he gets rid of that deer in the headlights look he always seems to have, and make a couple of in game adjustments and maybe some people will change there opinion. i feel most good college coaches could

get out of this team what he has. i also feel that had belichick or cowher or for that matter a mike tomlin

been here the last 10 years indy would have multiple sb titles, so coaching is huge in pro football.jmo

Don't misunderstand. I didn't like the Jets timeout. It was clearly a mistake, and I think everyone knows that. I still think we're blowing it out of proportion.

Supes, i am going to have to respectfully disagree with you on the Jets timeout, i can't really call it a clear mistake. . . for me this call, and frankly all calls by coaches and players, boil down to the percentages . . . we must put ourselves in the shoes of Coach Caldwell at the time the Jets ran their first down play and were mulling around . . . it appeared that they might not run another play and run the clock down and kick a FG for the final play of regulation, thereby making a 45 FG attempt the last play of regulation, so that was the sitaution facing the colts unless they acted . . .

so basically we are left with sitting down doing nothing and letting the Jets make a FG attempt from 45 yards . . . so lets say there is a 75% change to convert, just to put a number on it, so what we have is a situation where the colts have a 75% to loss and a 25% to go into overtime. . . now we can sit there and play the "politically correct" game and the "by the book" game, and the orthadox game and let the Jets controll the rest of the game . . . or we could do something about it to try change that 75% win change of the Jets (or what ever number you want to put in its place to reflect the chances making a 45 yard FG) . . .

all that Coach Caldwell wanted to do was think outside the box and force the Jets to run a play and let his team make a play to change that 75% number . . . give his team a chance to change things as opposed to sitting on their brains on the sidelines . . . anything could of happen, false starte, O-holding, O-Pass interference, a sack ,etc . . . ALL of which would of pushed the Jets farther back reducing the FG% and maybe even knocked the out of FG range, true they had another down and time, but they would have to run another play to make up the lost yards . . . so it is really as simple as that . . .

do you remember opening day of 2004 when the colts were driving and the colts ran one more play and Willie Mac sack PM pushing them back and Vanderjagdt missed the FG and we won, the 2006 AFFCG when Freeney sack Brady out of FG range late in the first half, SB 42 when the Gmen sack Brady and BB went for it on 4th as opposed to a 48 yard FG attempt, these are just a few off the top of my head where that "extra" play on offense forded a FG attempt . . .

so this is why I really can't say it was a clear mistake, true I may not agree with the call, but i do love the faith in his team to try to make a play to reduce that 75% FG chance . . .

lastly, when we looked at the play executed, yes the jets gained yards, but the WR did extend his arms (and did not push off) but it was close to a 10 yard OPI, also a colt DE got close to Sanchez b4 the throw, so the colts we close achieve the goal of pushing the jets back and it was all possible because of the TO by Coach . . . surely there will be times when it back fires like in the game, but there are times when it helps, like it almost did in the game and in the games mentioned above. . .

my two cents . . .

I'm not Barry Switzer and don't have the faintest idea who that is.

I never said respect should be given for nothing. I guess just glancing over my entire comment about what Caldwell has done went over your head.

well, considering you don't even know who barry switzer is, i would say my comment went over your head.

lets just hope he gets rid of that deer in the headlights look he always seems to have, and make a couple of in game adjustments and maybe some people will change there opinion. i feel most good college coaches could

get out of this team what he has. i also feel that had belichick or cowher or for that matter a mike tomlin

been here the last 10 years indy would have multiple sb titles, so coaching is huge in pro football.jmo

He's done that, him and his staff. I always point to the Pats game in 2009, because it was the most obvious example. We adjusted our defense and got stops in the second half, came back and won the game. Same thing against them last year, except we couldn't complete the comeback. We adjusted against the Jets in the AFCCG. And so on.

He's only been the coach for two years. Before that, he wasn't even a coordinator. I think that says something about his sometimes questionable game management (at least coordinators are aware of game situations; position coaches don't have to worry about things like that). But really, there have been multiple occasions in big games that he and his staff have made great calls to help the team win. And then there's two bad timeouts (one, really, but whatever).

Supes, i am going to have to respectfully disagree with you on the Jets timeout, i can't really call it a clear mistake. . . for me this call, and frankly all calls by coaches and players, boil down to the percentages . . . we must put ourselves in the shoes of Coach Caldwell at the time the Jets ran their first down play and were mulling around . . . it appeared that they might not run another play and run the clock down and kick a FG for the final play of regulation, thereby making a 45 FG attempt the last play of regulation, so that was the sitaution facing the colts unless they acted . . .

so basically we are left with sitting down doing nothing and letting the Jets make a FG attempt from 45 yards . . . so lets say there is a 75% change to convert, just to put a number on it, so what we have is a situation where the colts have a 75% to loss and a 25% to go into overtime. . . now we can sit there and play the "politically correct" game and the "by the book" game, and the orthadox game and let the Jets controll the rest of the game . . . or we could do something about it to try change that 75% win change of the Jets (or what ever number you want to put in its place to reflect the chances making a 45 yard FG) . . .

all that Coach Caldwell wanted to do was think outside the box and force the Jets to run a play and let his team make a play to change that 75% number . . . give his team a chance to change things as opposed to sitting on their brains on the sidelines . . . anything could of happen, false starte, O-holding, O-Pass interference, a sack ,etc . . . ALL of which would of pushed the Jets farther back reducing the FG% and maybe even knocked the out of FG range, true they had another down and time, but they would have to run another play to make up the lost yards . . . so it is really as simple as that . . .

do you remember opening day of 2004 when the colts were driving and the colts ran one more play and Willie Mac sack PM pushing them back and Vanderjagdt missed the FG and we won, the 2006 AFFCG when Freeney sack Brady out of FG range late in the first half, SB 42 when the Gmen sack Brady and BB went for it on 4th as opposed to a 48 yard FG attempt, these are just a few off the top of my head where that "extra" play on offense forded a FG attempt . . .

so this is why I really can't say it was a clear mistake, true I may not agree with the call, but i do love the faith in his team to try to make a play to reduce that 75% FG chance . . .

lastly, when we looked at the play executed, yes the jets gained yards, but the WR did extend his arms (and did not push off) but it was close to a 10 yard OPI, also a colt DE got close to Sanchez b4 the throw, so the colts we close achieve the goal of pushing the jets back and it was all possible because of the TO by Coach . . . surely there will be times when it back fires like in the game, but there are times when it helps, like it almost did in the game and in the games mentioned above. . .

my two cents . . .

I understand what you're saying. There are several ways to look at it, and since I know you've read my posts before, you know I can grasp nuance. That said, it was not smart to call the timeout there. If the Jets were already firmly in field goal position, then you'd have an argument. If the Jets were in range for a 40 yard field goal, and Caldwell calls a timeout to try to force another play, then I can see your argument. We're looking at a potential 51 yarder though. Not that Folk can't hit from 51, but you're content, with a two point lead, to let an inconsistent kicker try from 51 yards. You should be, anyway.

Instead, Caldwell immediately calls his final timeout, on 2nd and 8, with the Jets still having a timeout left. He forces his battered and bruised defense (missing our top two corners, two starting linebackers, starting defensive tackle, playing a 4th string safety) to play another down against a team that can take one more shot without regard for the clock because they can still stop it one more time. The odds break in their favor every time. If you're calling a timeout hoping that your defense can come up with a big play, it better be because the other team is going to score, and you MUST have said big play in order to win. If they are content to kick a 50 yarder, you let them kick it and see what happens.

Comparing it to Colts/Pats in 2004 doesn't work, because the Colts were looking at a 35 yarder before the sack. Same thing in the AFCCG, the Pats were in FG range, and the sack backed them up. They weren't content with a 51 yarder, they were trying to score a touchdown before the half. When the Giants got Brady, the Pats were already in range. They got pushed back and then had to decide against a 48 yarder. That's the opposite of what happened against the Jets.

What the Jets did when Caldwell called that timeout is said "alright, we still have a timeout left, let's go max protect, get a one on one for Braylon, and see what happens. If he makes the catch, we can still stop the clock and have a closer try. If he doesn't, we'll try from 51." Had we not called the timeout, they would have run another play, probably a run, and then used their final timeout to set up the kick at the buzzer. We still had another play to make something happen, but they still would have been trying a long field goal, not a 32 yarder. It was a bad timeout, plain and simple.

I would say that, much bigger than the timeout was the blown kickoff coverage. Bigger than that was the failed 3rd down attempt that should have guaranteed us a go-ahead kick at the buzzer, but instead stopped the clock and forced a 50 yarder from AV with almost a minute left and two NYJ timeouts. The team failed to execute, and was put in a bad situation. Caldwell made it worse with the timeout, but a lot went wrong for us to lose that one. Wasn't just the timeout.

I understand what you're saying. There are several ways to look at it, and since I know you've read my posts before, you know I can grasp nuance. That said, it was not smart to call the timeout there. If the Jets were already firmly in field goal position, then you'd have an argument. If the Jets were in range for a 40 yard field goal, and Caldwell calls a timeout to try to force another play, then I can see your argument. We're looking at a potential 51 yarder though. Not that Folk can't hit from 51, but you're content, with a two point lead, to let an inconsistent kicker try from 51 yards. You should be, anyway.

Instead, Caldwell immediately calls his final timeout, on 2nd and 8, with the Jets still having a timeout left. He forces his battered and bruised defense (missing our top two corners, two starting linebackers, starting defensive tackle, playing a 4th string safety) to play another down against a team that can take one more shot without regard for the clock because they can still stop it one more time. The odds break in their favor every time. If you're calling a timeout hoping that your defense can come up with a big play, it better be because the other team is going to score, and you MUST have said big play in order to win. If they are content to kick a 50 yarder, you let them kick it and see what happens.

Comparing it to Colts/Pats in 2004 doesn't work, because the Colts were looking at a 35 yarder before the sack. Same thing in the AFCCG, the Pats were in FG range, and the sack backed them up. They weren't content with a 51 yarder, they were trying to score a touchdown before the half. When the Giants got Brady, the Pats were already in range. They got pushed back and then had to decide against a 48 yarder. That's the opposite of what happened against the Jets.

What the Jets did when Caldwell called that timeout is said "alright, we still have a timeout left, let's go max protect, get a one on one for Braylon, and see what happens. If he makes the catch, we can still stop the clock and have a closer try. If he doesn't, we'll try from 51." Had we not called the timeout, they would have run another play, probably a run, and then used their final timeout to set up the kick at the buzzer. We still had another play to make something happen, but they still would have been trying a long field goal, not a 32 yarder. It was a bad timeout, plain and simple.

I would say that, much bigger than the timeout was the blown kickoff coverage. Bigger than that was the failed 3rd down attempt that should have guaranteed us a go-ahead kick at the buzzer, but instead stopped the clock and forced a 50 yarder from AV with almost a minute left and two NYJ timeouts. The team failed to execute, and was put in a bad situation. Caldwell made it worse with the timeout, but a lot went wrong for us to lose that one. Wasn't just the timeout.

agree was a 50 yarder and Folk is quite inconsistent from the 40 to 50, at 50 his % rate was much less than 50% if remember correct , I forgot how much less , on My colts I noted his % success rates from 40 - 45, 45 -50, & 50 - 55 & all were bad so was in our favor, Was a web site that showed it and another that gave 40- to 50 & 50 plus , then he would of had all the pressure & more from that distance

Odds were let it try& kick it, Peytons reaction was mine at the time

lol,your right.When your star qb is bugging out on the sidelines,you know you screwed up.

If me watching Peyton Manning's reaction was all i knew about the timeout situation against the jets, it would be enough. When you Hall of fame QB is saying what is going on here, you know there was a mistake.

My problem is not the Caldwell called the timeout, mistakes happen and i understand that, my problem is him and polian continually defending a timeout call, and making excuses that do not make any sense at all, and believe the fans should just except there explanation, it insults my intelligence.

If me watching Peyton Manning's reaction was all i knew about the timeout situation against the jets, it would be enough. When you Hall of fame QB is saying what is going on here, you know there was a mistake.

My problem is not the Caldwell called the timeout, mistakes happen and i understand that, my problem is him and polian continually defending a timeout call, and making excuses that do not make any sense at all, and believe the fans should just except there explanation, it insults my intelligence.

I would agree with the bolded part. It was obviously a bad timeout. Don't try to sell me on it after the fact, especially when it clearly didn't work to our advantage.

As for Manning's reaction, that's whatever. He's the player, the coach is the coach. Just because he disagrees with a call doesn't make the call wrong.

I would agree with the bolded part. It was obviously a bad timeout. Don't try to sell me on it after the fact, especially when it clearly didn't work to our advantage.

As for Manning's reaction, that's whatever. He's the player, the coach is the coach. Just because he disagrees with a call doesn't make the call wrong.

I would agree for most players, if it was Curtis Painter having that reaction, i would just brush it off, but because it was Peyton I look at it differently, he knew it was a bad call, and his reaction showed it, and i agree.

Well I'll just assume you were meaning to quote me when you said you weren't putting words in my mouth. You stated yourself that "but acting like he is the reason we have won anything is also pointless". I don't think it's wild to assume you're implying I stated that Caldwell was the reason I won. I never stated anything like that. I stated that the flak he's catching is unnecessary.

Respect is earned? Gee I'd hate to be your kid. Taking a team to the SB and to the playoffs in two years (the second being a year when an incredibly amount of players were out for injuries and were constatnly shuffling people in). Think you have your standards a bit high.

I quoted you to show you that I wasn't putting words in your mouth, and just point out what your words actually were. Yes I have high standards, and Caldwell hasn't done anything that a number of coaches in the NFL couldn't do. Even if you take the coaches fired over the past 3 years. 75% of those would easily exceed Jim, and likely do as good if not better.

I'm not Barry Switzer and don't have the faintest idea who that is.

I never said respect should be given for nothing. I guess just glancing over my entire comment about what Caldwell has done went over your head.

Not knowing Barry Switzer explains a lot. He's the anti Caldwell. A successful College coach that takes over a Pro Team and wins a Super Bowl with them.

well, considering you don't even know who barry switzer is, i would say my comment went over your head.

Something like that :) Must still have teen at the end of his age not to know Switzer.

He's done that, him and his staff. I always point to the Pats game in 2009, because it was the most obvious example. We adjusted our defense and got stops in the second half, came back and won the game. Same thing against them last year, except we couldn't complete the comeback. We adjusted against the Jets in the AFCCG. And so on.

He's only been the coach for two years. Before that, he wasn't even a coordinator. I think that says something about his sometimes questionable game management (at least coordinators are aware of game situations; position coaches don't have to worry about things like that). But really, there have been multiple occasions in big games that he and his staff have made great calls to help the team win. And then there's two bad timeouts (one, really, but whatever).

That's one of the main reasons I felt he wasn't qualified for the job. Wake Forest is one thing, but out of his time in the NFL he was never an OC, DC, or even a STC like John Harbaugh. He's been in over his head and trying to tread water from day one. He was a winning record due to the team under him, not due to him making decisions or changes, etc.

I didn't need to see Manning's reaction to know that it was the wrong call, just like it seems that you didn't, but it only confirmed it. The worst part about it is how he said he would do it again after the game.

I dread the next time he makes the same mistake. Can't get much bigger than a playoff game, but who knows...

yes, i did. but the point is lost on someone who doesn't know anything about barry switzer....

And I weep for the lost opportunity of knowing Barry Switzer.

Barry Switzer was the Cowboys coach who took the 95 team to the Superbowl and winning it. I'm guessing that you're implying that as Switzer inherited a great team and rode the coat tails of Jimmy Johnson, as did Caldwell from Dungy. Ok, fair enough but you still ignore the fact that Caldwell managed to get this team to the playoffs and a division title w/ having one of (if not) the worst injury plagued seasons in franchise history. Say what you want about him, but he managed to keep the team on the right track despite having a revolving door at some positions. That, in my eyes, earns my respect as a head coach.

You know my life is just so rich now that I know of Barry Switzer.

I quoted you to show you that I wasn't putting words in your mouth, and just point out what your words actually were. Yes I have high standards, and Caldwell hasn't done anything that a number of coaches in the NFL couldn't do. Even if you take the coaches fired over the past 3 years. 75% of those would easily exceed Jim, and likely do as good if not better.

Not knowing Barry Switzer explains a lot. He's the anti Caldwell. A successful College coach that takes over a Pro Team and wins a Super Bowl with them.

Something like that :) Must still have teen at the end of his age not to know Switzer.

That's one of the main reasons I felt he wasn't qualified for the job. Wake Forest is one thing, but out of his time in the NFL he was never an OC, DC, or even a STC like John Harbaugh. He's been in over his head and trying to tread water from day one. He was a winning record due to the team under him, not due to him making decisions or changes, etc.

I didn't need to see Manning's reaction to know that it was the wrong call, just like it seems that you didn't, but it only confirmed it. The worst part about it is how he said he would do it again after the game.

I dread the next time he makes the same mistake. Can't get much bigger than a playoff game, but who knows...

75% of the coaches fired could do better than Caldwell? That must be one great research article, I'd love to read it? Hmm? It doesn't exist? It's your opinion? Oh... in that case allow me to offer my own opinion which carries the exact same weight as yours: Jim Caldwell has taken a team to the Superbowl in his rookie year and to the playoffs in his second year w/ one of the worst bouts of injuries suffered in that team's history. Wait, my statement is a fact. Yours isn't.

I'll give Switzer the same treatment you have given him: riding the coat tails of a more famous coach.

Ah yes, making blind assumptions of someone. With a name like "FireJimmy" shall I take a guess at your IQ? (Hint I bet it has "teen" at the end of it).

Caldwell was hand picked by Dungy and groomed for this job. Like it or not he had Dungy's approval.

I don't think that it's impossible to be a good head coach if you haven't been a coordinator. I just think that being a coordinator puts you in position to make situational decisions every game, whereas a position coach is largely removed from those duties. And when you see a coach make questionable game management decisions, and then you remember that he's never been an NFL coordinator, it kind of makes sense. He hasn't been the guy making decisions on any level for the team. His job is to coach technique and discipline.

I like a lot of the things he did as a head coach. Getting rid of Ron Meeks and giving Coyer the flexibility to break out of the base Cover 2 situationally was a huge benefit for us in 2009. There are other things I like about him. I don't think he's entire unqualified. I don't think he's the worst coach ever, or a deer in the headlights, or anything of the sort. I think people are far too critical of him, considering the fact that we went to the Super Bowl in his first year (after getting bounced in the first round in two consecutive seasons). But I do think we could have done better. We didn't even interview anyone else, which was a mistake.

Yeah, that upset me as well. He and Polian defended it as if it was the right decision. It wasn't. He kind of walked back from that stance in his interview with Kuharsky, but I'd like to not be sold nonsense when I know better.

Guest BlueShoe

One user comment said it all. If he had so much confidence in the team's two minute drill, and the team had marched down the field for a TD in a 2 minute drill vs the Ravens in the 2009 divisional round (Wayne TD) and the Jets in the 2009 AFCCG before the half (Collie TD), why on earth did he order 3 straight runs with Peyton as QB before the half in the Saints SB? Terrible mojo killer there, IMO. No matter what explanation Caldwell and Polian come up with, that was not the right thing to do. It was playing not to lose, not playing to win at that point especially when they had executed it successfully the previous 2 games.

Ever since that, Caldwell's coaching perception has never been the same in my eyes. The SB magnified the conservative play calling ways to follow, the 2010 timeouts just amplified those perceptions, right or wrong.

Same for me.

Caldwell is learning on the job, which was a mistake to make in my opinion. We have the greatest QB who has ever played this game. But what is done is done now and we have to carry it through. It's too late in Peyton's career to be making a head coaching change.

I am sure Caldwell is a very nice man and the kind of guy I would be proud to know, but some of the decisions he has made just make me scratch my head and I am just a fan. I shouldn't know things about football that he doesn't.

And I weep for the lost opportunity of knowing Barry Switzer.

Barry Switzer was the Cowboys coach who took the 95 team to the Superbowl and winning it. I'm guessing that you're implying that as Switzer inherited a great team and rode the coat tails of Jimmy Johnson, as did Caldwell from Dungy. Ok, fair enough but you still ignore the fact that Caldwell managed to get this team to the playoffs and a division title w/ having one of (if not) the worst injury plagued seasons in franchise history. Say what you want about him, but he managed to keep the team on the right track despite having a revolving door at some positions. That, in my eyes, earns my respect as a head coach.

You know my life is just so rich now that I know of Barry Switzer.

what's your problem? you wake this morning and drink a tall glass of Mod Edit?

Please remember to post within the forum rules

this is the best point made on this matter. i hope the powers to be see this. i feel this is the way most fans feel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what's your problem? you wake this morning and drink a tall glass of Mod Edit?

Nope, just success... and a glass of skim milk.

What I take offense to is that people will sit here and call someone "Radio" (a mentally challenged person) and spout the same old same old for explaining why he is a bad coach. They (yourself included) don't acknowledge the fact that Caldwell coached this team to a division title and playoff berth with the worst bout of injuries this franchise has seen.

I understand, he's made bad choices. But as some have tried to point out, there was logic behind the decision. And the very very few people that will intelligently debate the matter are drowned out by the same, tired lines that have been spouted (and refuted) before.

Specifically to answer your question, perhaps if you explained why knowing (or not knowing) Barry Switzer pertains to this particular argument and more specifically the point I made to which you initially replied.

75% of the coaches fired could do better than Caldwell? That must be one great research article, I'd love to read it? Hmm? It doesn't exist? It's your opinion? Oh... in that case allow me to offer my own opinion which carries the exact same weight as yours: Jim Caldwell has taken a team to the Superbowl in his rookie year and to the playoffs in his second year w/ one of the worst bouts of injuries suffered in that team's history. Wait, my statement is a fact. Yours isn't.

I'll give Switzer the same treatment you have given him: riding the coat tails of a more famous coach.

Ah yes, making blind assumptions of someone. With a name like "FireJimmy" shall I take a guess at your IQ? (Hint I bet it has "teen" at the end of it).

Caldwell was hand picked by Dungy and groomed for this job. Like it or not he had Dungy's approval.

Wow... If i wanted my own comeback... well.. I'll be nice...

Here's the thing if our special teams do their job this isn't an issue at all. I am not going to lie I hated the time out and it sure didn't help our chances to win but let's not kid our selves we have about four or five other chances to win that game after AV hit the field goal (and that's not including all the missed 3rd and 1's in the first half) that we didn't take advantage of so it's hard for me to put all the blame on Caldwell's shoulders.

Nope, just success... and a glass of skim milk.

What I take offense to is that people will sit here and call someone "Radio" (a mentally challenged person) and spout the same old same old for explaining why he is a bad coach. They (yourself included) don't acknowledge the fact that Caldwell coached this team to a division title and playoff berth with the worst bout of injuries this franchise has seen.

I understand, he's made bad choices. But as some have tried to point out, there was logic behind the decision. And the very very few people that will intelligently debate the matter are drowned out by the same, tired lines that have been spouted (and refuted) before.

Specifically to answer your question, perhaps if you explained why knowing (or not knowing) Barry Switzer pertains to this particular argument and more specifically the point I made to which you initially replied.

i don't need to acknowledge that the colts went to the super bowl and made the playoffs the last two years with "Radio" at the helm...it's common knowledge...and it's spouting the same ol same ol in his defense.

the fact is in the two biggest losses of the past two years he has made awful decisions in both games....the timeout against the jets and allowing stover to attempt a 51 yard fg in the sb. and sorry, there isn't a lick of logic in calling the timeout against the jets.

why do i bring up barry switzer? because he will continually bring up his record when defending himself against critics...as u doing in defending "Radio". i will reference larry coker if it makes u feel better.

and for the record i don't believe that "Radio" is awful. aside from his making poor decisons in big games, i think most of the anger directed at him is due to the fact the he was woefully under qualified for one the prime jobs in the nfl. and considering that peyton only has x number of years left i failed to see the logic in hiring someone like caldwell..jmo

I haven't read the responses in this thread yet, so if I repeat what someone else has typed I apologize.

That was an excellent question by Kuharsky (sp?) and an excellent answer by Caldwell. Using his philosophy of extended the game because the offense is so potent means the time-out was the perfect call in the Jags game (which I was one of the few to say so at the time) but the wrong call in the game against the Jets.

In the Jags game the defense had several opportunities to get the ball back for the offense... a drop INT and a 3rd and long that Jax converted. If either of those two happened the Colts would have got the ball and most likely won the game.

In the Jets game, however, the Colts had the lead, there is no reason to want the offense to get the ball back, then the onus is on the other team to try to take the lead and I disagree with the idea of giving them more time in which to do it.

After reading and knowing how meticulous Caldwell is in writing down everything that happens, reviewing it and analyzing it, I am confident that in a situation similar to the Jets game he will not call that timeout. In a situation similar to the Jags game, he absolutely will call that timeout.

I think, even with that timeout against the Jets that Caldwell has proven himself to be an excellent coach and in a few more years will prove to be an even better coach than Dungy.

I haven't read the responses in this thread yet, so if I repeat what someone else has typed I apologize.

That was an excellent question by Kuharsky (sp?) and an excellent answer by Caldwell. Using his philosophy of extended the game because the offense is so potent means the time-out was the perfect call in the Jags game (which I was one of the few to say so at the time) but the wrong call in the game against the Jets.

In the Jags game the defense had several opportunities to get the ball back for the offense... a drop INT and a 3rd and long that Jax converted. If either of those two happened the Colts would have got the ball and most likely won the game.

In the Jets game, however, the Colts had the lead, there is no reason to want the offense to get the ball back, then the onus is on the other team to try to take the lead and I disagree with the idea of giving them more time in which to do it.

After reading and knowing how meticulous Caldwell is in writing down everything that happens, reviewing it and analyzing it, I am confident that in a situation similar to the Jets game he will not call that timeout. In a situation similar to the Jags game, he absolutely will call that timeout.

I think, even with that timeout against the Jets that Caldwell has proven himself to be an excellent coach and in a few more years will prove to be an even better coach than Dungy.

I can buy that up to the last line. I really don't think some people truly get what we had in Dungy. I'd argue that other than BB in New England there was no better coach in the NFL than him at the time. Dungy should be a Hall of Famer and IMO was one of the games all-time greats.

No disrespect to Caldwell. People forget he took a team who was supposed to be done to a 14-0 start and to a Super Bowl in his rookie year and then did a masterful job along with Polian last year plugging holes and frankly got a team into the playoffs that probably had no business going to the playoffs due to all the injuries. It's funny anything Caldwell's teams do well is becuase of Peyton Manning yet anytime something goes wrong it's all Caldwell's fault. I think people sometimes forget Caldwell is a young coach and is stil learning himself. I think we could do worse for a head coach than Caldwell but I don't think he is or ever will be as good as Dungy but I would love to be proven wrong.

I can buy that up to the last line. I really don't think some people truly get what we had in Dungy. I'd argue that other than BB in New England there was no better coach in the NFL than him at the time. Dungy should be a Hall of Famer and IMO was one of the games all-time greats.

No disrespect to Caldwell. People forget he took a team who was supposed to be done to a 14-0 start and to a Super Bowl in his rookie year and then did a masterful job along with Polian last year plugging holes and frankly got a team into the playoffs that probably had no business going to the playoffs due to all the injuries. It's funny anything Caldwell's teams do well is becuase of Peyton Manning yet anytime something goes wrong it's all Caldwell's fault. I think people sometimes forget Caldwell is a young coach and is stil learning himself. I think we could do worse for a head coach than Caldwell but I don't think he is or ever will be as good as Dungy but I would love to be proven wrong.

I didn't think many people would agree with me for at least a few years. And yes I think Dungy was an excellent coach.